Author Topic: Illinois State Law Will Release Second-Degree Murder Suspects Without Bail  (Read 1620 times)

MechAg94

• friend
State Law Will Release Second-Degree Murder Suspects Without Bail: 'The End of Days'
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics/2022/september/illinois-law-will-release-second-degree-murder-suspects-without-bail-the-end-of-days

When a new Illinois law takes effect next year, it will do away with the cash bail system in the state, meaning suspects charged with felonies, including second-degree murder, aggravated battery, and arson, will be released without bail.

The Counter Signal reports the Safety, Accountability, Fairness and Equity-Today Act, also called the SAFE-T Act, would end cash bail and includes 12 non-detainable offenses, second-degree murder, aggravated battery, and arson without bail, as well as drug-induced homicide, kidnapping, burglary, robbery, intimidation, aggravated DUI, aggravated fleeing and eluding, drug offenses and threatening a public official.

Looks like fun times ahead in Chicago. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Illinois State Law Will Release Second-Degree Murder Suspects Without Bail
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 02:55:01 PM »
They refuse to learn, don't they? Almost seems like the rising crime doesn't bother them. Like maybe they want more crime.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 03:37:49 PM »
What could possibly go wrong?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 03:44:11 PM »
State Law Will Release Second-Degree Murder Suspects Without Bail: 'The End of Days'
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics/2022/september/illinois-law-will-release-second-degree-murder-suspects-without-bail-the-end-of-days

Looks like fun times ahead in Chicago.

One of the local FFLs posted that on the BookFace this morning.  First I'd heard of it.

s***!  Going to be fun locally. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 04:00:28 PM »
What sort of random feel-good vocalizations were made to support this bill? 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 04:01:05 PM »
Their release will "contribute to the protection of society"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 04:04:12 PM »
Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow said in a YouTube video it will be the "end of days" once the law kicks in. He says the hands of police, prosecutors, and judges will be tied.

"What you see in Chicago, we'll have here," Glasgow said.

He said he won't be able to hold people longer than three months if they demand trial. "On the 90th day, they get out, no matter what crime they committed," the state attorney said.

I will go out on a limb and suggest that a trial damn well better have started within 90 days of arrest.  This bullshit of holding people for years before trial is unconscionable.  I'd rather let potentially bad people out in 90 days than keep potentially good people in jail for years.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 04:10:56 PM »
I will go out on a limb and suggest that a trial damn well better have started within 90 days of arrest.  This bullshit of holding people for years before trial is unconscionable.  I'd rather let potentially bad people out in 90 days than keep potentially good people in jail for years.
I agree with that.  I would rather see steps taken to see that trials happen faster than just release them.  These are people that are not yet convicted.  If they had evidence to convict them, then do it.

That said, I doubt trials will happen faster.  They will likely slow down even more.  And suspects with hard evidence against them will get let go for a trial that might happen within the year.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 05:17:17 PM »
You may have heard about that Democratic county official in Nevada whom police have arrested on suspicion of murdering a reporter. But you probably didn’t hear about the Democratic campaign consultant in New Jersey who pled guilty to conspiracy and murder-for-hire earlier this year. And only those who closely follow politics are likely to have heard about the Democratic mega-donor from California who lured men into his apartment and injected them with methamphetamine in exchange for sex, leading to two fatal overdoses. I think we’re starting to see why some in that party were so enthusiastic about the notion of abolishing the police.

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/do-the-democrats-have-a-murder-problem/?utm_source=blog-landing&utm_medium=desktop&utm_campaign=continue-reading

To which I might counter: they have no problem with murder. They've been defending the murder of children for decades now.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 07:08:26 PM »
Stupidity no longer explains what's going on.

Malice does.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 07:18:32 PM »
Stupidity no longer explains what's going on.

Malice does.

Yes.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 07:19:53 PM »
There's a wood chipper solution
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 07:28:38 PM »
Bail was created as a means of guaranteeing that a defendant appears for court hearings.  As time passed, it became less about guaranteeing appearances and more a pre-conviction punishment, with the level of bond reflecting the seriousness of the charges. 

In some jurisdictions, the jails are so crowded with people waiting for trial that it becomes impossible to sentence misdemeanor offenders or those who violate court orders to jail time.  The answer of building more jails never seems to get the support of elected officials.  People want more tents and pink underwear, not new fancy jails that will raise their tax bills.

As for the length of time to get to trial, part of that is the burdens on the court system.  Too many cases waiting for trial, not enough courtrooms and judges.  Courts are having a hard time getting juries now, as many people throw jury duty summons right into the trash.  A judge could issue a warrant for those jurors, but that adds another case to the docket.  Lawyers do cause some of the delay, but much of the time between arrest and trial is spent exchanging discovery, defense investigating the state's evidence, and dealing with all of other matters on their case loads.

So, what do I think?  Like many laws, this is a knee jerk reaction to fix a problem.  And it will very likely create more problems than it fixes.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 07:31:44 PM »
Perhaps this is a question for our resident legal and law enforcement types:  What prevents us from completing most trials in 90 days or less? 

Is it getting the investigations and evidence (including DNA testing and similar analysis) lined up for the prosecutor?  Is it prosecuting the case and handling all the paperwork?  Is it court time for hearings and the trial? 

(thanks for addressing that question T.O.M.)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 07:37:13 PM »
Perhaps this is a question for our resident legal and law enforcement types:  What prevents us from completing most trials in 90 days or less? 

Absent fathers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 07:08:43 AM »
I just love watching liberal states pour gasoline over themselves and then wonder why they've burst into flames.

Burn baby burn.

To those people who are against this *expletive deleted*it and who will be affected by this insanity? Get a gun, learn to use the gun, and use the gun to protect yourselves.

To those people who are for this *expletive deleted*it? May you be the first to feel the impact. I generally don't wish physical harm on people, but if being violently assaulted and robbed is what it takes for you to get your head out of your ass, so be it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 07:27:59 AM »
I just love watching liberal states pour gasoline over themselves and then wonder why they've burst into flames.

Burn baby burn.

To those people who are against this *expletive deleted*it and who will be affected by this insanity? Get a gun, learn to use the gun, and use the gun to protect yourselves.

To those people who are for this *expletive deleted*it? May you be the first to feel the impact. I generally don't wish physical harm on people, but if being violently assaulted and robbed is what it takes for you to get your head out of your ass, so be it.
In the same vein, whatever sympathy I had for the long-suffering people of California evaporated overnight when the special election to recall their current governor Gavin Newsom failed. High crime, blackouts and brownouts - you're getting what you voted for. Enjoy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 08:04:32 AM »

I wonder if a citizen that uses a scary gun in IL to cap someone attacking them will also get the no bail catch and release treatment, or do you think breaking a gun control law is so much worse than assault that citizen will rot in jail until trial?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 09:04:58 AM »
I wonder if a citizen that uses a scary gun in IL to cap someone attacking them will also get the no bail catch and release treatment, or do you think breaking a gun control law is so much worse than assault that citizen will rot in jail until trial?
Probably going to depend somewhat on location. Never underestimate chicagos ability to F it up but out here in rural Illinois our county runs differently.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2022, 09:11:48 AM »
Like the student loan fiasco, the root of this problem will never be addressed.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 09:29:47 AM »
In the same vein, whatever sympathy I had for the long-suffering people of California evaporated overnight when the special election to recall their current governor Gavin Newsom failed. High crime, blackouts and brownouts - you're getting what you voted for. Enjoy.

To be fair, his opponent was the known white supremacist, Larry Elder.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2022, 09:39:04 AM »
... and that's still operating under the assumption that elections and voting are actually expressing the will of the voters and not being manipulated.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2022, 10:28:21 AM »
I fully realize that what I post below is my personal bias, personal situation, and that not everyone can do it because of personal/family responsibilities or a host of other reasons. But... move.

We are at a point where social and geographic dichotomies will not allow us to live together. It's as simple as that, and I don't see any swinging of the pendulum back to reasonableness from either side.

I was vehemently complaining about California for 20 years before I moved. The first 10 of those 20 though, was mostly grumbling and griping. Had California leveled out and slowed down at that point instead of quadrupling speed, it is very likely I'd still be there, putting up with irritations and stupid regulations, and just grumbling and griping about them.

Where they went in the latter half of those 20 years left me no choice but to move. Even though I was born and raised in CA, and spent most of my life there, a resident long before a lot of the current whackos were even born, they don't want my kind there anymore. I am not welcome. That will never change. "I was here first" doesn't matter. There is a point where "stay and fight" simply becomes too exhausting. I applaud those (mostly young) who attempt it, but it is a lost cause. We are drawing our lines. If you're in California and believe in conservative, small government, move here to Idaho - you'll be happy. If you're in Idaho and enjoy kids dancing on stripper poles and abortion, move to California. They will welcome you and you'll be happy.

We are drawing lines. Everyone needs to choose what side of the lines they want to be on. The "conservative" side of the line is losing ground, but there are still places most of us can go and at least live out our lives in slow social decline versus a jump off a cliff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2022, 10:38:05 AM »
I have repeatedly said that this level of tribalism only ends with bloodshed.  I've watched it firsthand, twice.  The only question is when, and how bad.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2022, 10:43:17 AM »
I fully realize that what I post below is my personal bias, personal situation, and that not everyone can do it because of personal/family responsibilities or a host of other reasons. But... move.

If someone is unwilling to move due to family/personal/career reasons, then the politics of where they aren't that important to them. The whole being hung with a new rope and bitching about the rope not being soft enough.

Many of us had ancestors that left their family behind in their homelands to find a better life.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 11:07:37 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536