Author Topic: The gun you wear: the Taurus curve  (Read 6735 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The gun you wear: the Taurus curve
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
Re: The gun you wear: the Taurus curve
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:18:54 PM »
I always wondered why they haven't made carry guns like this.

But do they make one in .410? >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
The intrabebz are full of folks listing reasons why this is a failure looking for a place to happen.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »
If they would make it without the ugly-adz light wart on the front I might be interested. Still, it's thicker than the LCP I currently carry. I can't see how making a gun thicker is going to make it easier to carry concealed. More comfortable due to the revised ergonomics? Possibly, but it will have to be pretty impressive to make up for the increase in width. I'll have to wrap my mitts around one before I pass judgment.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »
it looks like a nano, a bodyguard, and a high point meet up in a cheap watering hole and headed back to a seedy motel for a little fun.

And this popped out 9 months later with a case of scoliosis.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »
It seems to be a fairly small gun. I would think the advantage of a curved design would show up better, were it a larger gun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 03:52:08 PM »
I've been wondering if this would show up on APS...

Count me in the 'That's about the dumbest thing I ever saw' group. And for the record, the thread on TFL seems more hesitantly complimentary than full of hate, and most the hate is just for Taurus, not the pistol itself.

So the curve might make it easier to conceal, the same curve that makes it confirm to the body also could not confirm to your particular curves and could screw your draw. And for that feature, you lose sights not run off a battery, ambidextrous use, and who knows what else.

I'm thinking Boomhauer will be able to give it a rest on his Judge hate, because now he'll have a new Taurus to rant about.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »
They are pushing the Curve as being comfortable and it will be carried more often.

Personally I believe a firearm should be comforting and not so much comfortable. I really don't see how I would carry that thing anymore than I do my full size 1911 unless I put it on a string and wore it around my neck in the shower. If I leave the house and am going anywhere but the local AFB I will have my gun with me.

Then again, being a lefty, that gun is a useful to me as a pair of shoe umbrellas, maybe less. ;)

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 04:16:59 PM »
Finally had a minute to look up specs. 1.18" width? YGBFKM! A Springfield XD9 is a mere two one hundreths of an inch wider at 1.20". At 0.82" an LCP is miniscule by comparison.

That ergonimics better better be damned impressive or this thing is doomed before it ever hits the shelves.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »
The intrabebz are full of folks listing reasons why this is a failure looking for a place to happen.

stay safe.

And, more and more, I tend to discount gun related opinions I read on the Internetz.  A lot of unhinged hatred out there.

If they would make it without the ugly-adz light wart on the front I might be interested.

Kind of like how S&W's Bodyguard .380 is more attractive (to me) in the version without the integral laser.  

Still, it's thicker than the LCP I currently carry. I can't see how making a gun thicker is going to make it easier to carry concealed. More comfortable due to the revised ergonomics? Possibly, but it will have to be pretty impressive to make up for the increase in width. I'll have to wrap my mitts around one before I pass judgment.
Brad

Might make it more easy to handle.  Putting the Hogue grip thingee on my LCP made a huge difference in how it handles, for me.

The gun got discussed on this weeks Squirrel Report.  JayG is now a NRA gunwriter, and has actually shot the thing.  He couldn't say much about it, but what he did say sounded like guarded optimism for it.

Then again, being a lefty, that gun is a useful to me as a pair of shoe umbrellas, maybe less.

Per JayG on Squirrel Report, the magazine is straight.  So, my guess a left handed version will be just a new grip frame.  Swap it out manually, if they'll sell it.

It's nothing I particularly want, but I'll reserve judgment on it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:01:27 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
In one of the articles I read, the grip-frame is non-serialized, and can be sold over the counter.  A left-hand grip frame and a grip frame without the light and laser will be following in Q2 2015 or so.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
Guns and Ammo gave it their usual glowing review.  They were called on that, and now are going to sue a pro gun blog for disagreeing with their review.   Does G&A have any creds left at all?

http://gunssavelives.net/gun-industry/guns-and-ammo-allegedly-threatens-to-sue-gun-blog-over-taurus-curve-post/

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 06:00:58 PM »
Guns and Ammo gave it their usual glowing review.  They were called on that, and now are going to sue a pro gun blog for disagreeing with their review.   Does G&A have any creds left at all?

http://gunssavelives.net/gun-industry/guns-and-ammo-allegedly-threatens-to-sue-gun-blog-over-taurus-curve-post/

Just guessing, but I'd say Intermedia may be looking for a new Social Media Editor soon.

Brad
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
I was surprised that the mag is straight.  However, it is only 3.7" tall.  I have to ask why curving makes any difference with a pistol that short?  It also makes me wonder if the curving actually makes the pistol thicker.  

A curved pistol with a tall, curved mag and grip with more capacity might make more sense, but the grip would be awkward to hold.  I am curious how this pistol feels in the hand.  There is some value in a gun that fits the hand right and points well.  How will this one fit?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:38:01 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 07:38:32 PM »
With the LCP and similar guns already as compact as they are, I don't really see the point in this at all.

The laser will attract morons like bugs to a zapper, but to me it just increases the bulk in this design. It looks retarded, whereas the clip on laser for guns like the LCP look a lot better IMHO.

And yes, I still hate the Judge but at least it seems to be going out of popularity. I don't think this will be the thing to replace it, but I'm overall not impressed with Taurus's line. I'd take an LCP, LCP9, or a S&W Shield over this any day of the week...

It looks a lot like the Kimber two shot pepperspray thing.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:52:16 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
If guns were meant to be curved JMB would have designed one.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 09:12:18 PM »
I hear Angelina Jolie is getting one.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »
That brings a few different thoughts to mind.  The worst is a possible Wanted II.

Then I looked up the IMDB listing and saw Wanted 2 is scheduled for 2015.   :'(
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 11:56:39 PM »
The basic concept seems a solution in search of a problem.  It also seems a potential problem:  that curvature  could make acquiring a grip a bit more difficult and slower in an emergency by reducing or closing the gap that accommodates my fingers.  That and that I will not buy a .380 or a sightless gun, or one dependent on batteries makes a no sale here.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:02:45 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
Hmmm...don't think so. Among the many other reasons I don't like this gun, in Ohio you are required to use a holster for cc.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
Hmmm...don't think so. Among the many other reasons I don't like this gun, in Ohio you are required to use a holster for cc.

But what about that minimalist trigger guard thingy you tie to your belt?  Wouldn't that count?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 01:06:07 AM »
Meh. I won't buy one, but I won't dig on another company for at least trying new things. And AFAIK, nobody's made a curved pistol for comfortable carry before.

The issue I have is that people attracted to the Taurus price-point and er... novelty that some of their firearms demonstrate won't be using the little trigger guard cover, and be sticking a single action/single stage trigger for a striker-fired pistol directly into their pants. Something that the gun community has deemed "Not a great idea ©" with the clipdraw's original debut with Glocks etc.
I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 07:11:58 AM »

Lee, that's really interesting,  as I never thought about it.  But TN now that you pointed it out, each statute does reference "holster" although I cannot find any specific statute saying "a handgun must be carried in a holster," and my instructor did not say as much in my class.  But your reading of the statutes is valid.   I need to talk with my buddy who uses one of the Hip Grips with his Smith J-frame.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 07:27:06 AM »
Meh. I won't buy one, but I won't dig on another company for at least trying new things. And AFAIK, nobody's made a curved pistol for comfortable carry before.

The issue I have is that people attracted to the Taurus price-point and er... novelty that some of their firearms demonstrate won't be using the little trigger guard cover, and be sticking a single action/single stage trigger for a striker-fired pistol directly into their pants. Something that the gun community has deemed "Not a great idea ©" with the clipdraw's original debut with Glocks etc.

apparently someone made a curved 1911 in the '80s. I'm not sure what happened with it, but it has been done.

I'm not busting on Taurus's (although, do they have a pistol of the week club or something?) being innovative. I just think this particular innovation is more stupid than not.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 08:53:40 AM »
I prefer a pistol that I can shoot with either hand.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams