Author Topic: Biscuits and Gravy Recipes?  (Read 6745 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Biscuits and Gravy Recipes?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 01:28:28 PM »
You can also simmer the gravy for about 10 minutes to fully-cook the flour.
I like flour gravy a lot better than cornstarch, although it's a little more work.

That's what I do for turkey gravy, though I make sure the broth is hot before I put the flour in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »
I always found that it took a lot longer than 10 minutes to get the raw flour taste out of the gravy or sauce when using a flour and water slurry.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 03:27:33 PM »
I always found that it took a lot longer than 10 minutes to get the raw flour taste out of the gravy or sauce when using a flour and water slurry.

I actually do it for longer than ten minutes myself.  I generally let it simmer as I swap between checking it and doing other dinner preps, so it's likely closer to 20-30 or so minutes for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 03:44:51 PM »
All this biscuit and  gravy talk and no mention of red eye gravy?  For shame.

My favorite gravy is a cross between sausage milk and redeye gravy.  Over biscuits it is wonderful.

Lots of good ways and few bad ways to make gravy.  Must admit that corn startch is one of the few bad ways.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 06:02:10 PM »
biscuits and gravy, or biscuits and sausage gravy, are a staple at the many camp outs I attend.  I make most of it.  The biscuits I fix from scratch, and bake in a Dutch oven.  The sausage gravy I make by feel.  Fat, flour, salt, pepper, milk.  No real recipe, I just start by browning a pound or so of bulk pork sausage.  When that is done, I spoon the sausage out and reserve it, and add flour to the fat, until it looks right.  After cooking that awhile,  I pour in the milk, until it's the right thickness.  Salt and black pepper finish it off,  and the cooked sausage is added back in.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »
I scoff at your biscuits & gravy, for my wife made apple fritters this morning.

My wife's been frying bread for me lately, for breakfast. Like toast, if toast had a sister that was way hotter. And quite friendly. I'm going to see if she (my wife, not the bread) will make me fried bread & gravy.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
^^^Have you considered that she may be planning your demise, via clogged coronary arteries?   [tinfoil]

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2016, 08:36:08 PM »
What's a recipe?

"Yo Mama can cook, but can she make a roux???"
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2016, 09:40:51 PM »
^^^Have you considered that she may be planning your demise, via clogged coronary arteries?   [tinfoil]

All the time.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2016, 01:10:29 AM »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2016, 07:34:18 AM »
And I have said it here before, but the Mountain House freeze dried biscuits and gravy is passably good.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2016, 10:39:18 AM »
Kind of like this?
https://vimeo.com/10798467
Note: NSFW.

Never understood why he would run and not to submit to his punishment willingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCdrUW--Jic
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 09:08:33 AM »
And I have said it here before, but the Mountain House freeze dried biscuits and gravy is passably good.

I will second that, it was a huge shock to me how good it was when I first tried the MH Biscuits & Gravy. I pick up one or two for every backpack trip.

The first and only recipe for gravy I've used is the Jimmy Deans recipe I found on the package of Hot Breakfast Sausage. I always use spicy or hot sausage. Everyone that has had my biscuits and gravy have raved about them, even southerners.

There are some great tips in this thread and I can't wait to try what sound like superior methods for making the roux. Sometimes I don't get it right and it clumps up as I add the milk/cream. When that happens I'll use my immersion blender and cook the gravy longer before adding the meat.

Creamy Sausage Gravy

Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
Ingredients

1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Regular Roll Sausage
    Vegetable oil (I use bacon grease if I need more than the drippings yield)
    6 tablespoons flour
    ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper (I use more pepper, usually double)
    3 cups milk
    4 split warm biscuits for serving

Directions

Cook sausage in large skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat 8-10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain, reserving drippings; place sausage in bowl. If necessary, add enough oil to reserved drippings to measure 1 tablespoon. Return drippings to skillet.
    Add flour and pepper to skillet; stir with wire whisk until well blended. Cook over MEDIUM heat 6-8 minutes or until browned, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
    Add sausage; cook 1-2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Serve over biscuits.

Yield

4 servings (2 biscuit halves and 1 cup gravy each)

http://www.jimmydean.com/recipes/breakfast/creamy-sausage-gravy
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
"Sometimes I don't get it right and it clumps up as I add the milk/cream."

Generally that happens if you add the milk too quickly. It's like making mayonnaise, you need to start the emulsion slowly, taking time to incorporate the water-rich milk into the fat rich roux. If you push it, you'll flood the roux before you can get it... wet... for want of a better word, and then you play hell getting all the lumps out.

The stick blender is a good solution.

What I normally is is pull the pan from the heat, scrape all of the roux into the center of the pan and make a well, and then add a few tablespoons to a quarter cup (depending on the amount of roux I'm dealing with) into the well and then use a dinner fork to start mashing and mixing the roux and milk. Once I've got a good slurry started I'll slowly add the rest of the milk.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 10:52:15 AM »
So do all of you always use the "roll sausage" wrapped in the round wrapper like liverwurst?

Shoot, I need to track down some of that Mountain House. I'd love to open up some decent biscuits and gravy when on my minimalist tactical trout assault this year.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 10:54:17 AM »
So if I poured some roux over french fries, would I have rouxtine?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
So do all of you always use the "roll sausage" wrapped in the round wrapper like liverwurst?

Shoot, I need to track down some of that Mountain House. I'd love to open up some decent biscuits and gravy when on my minimalist tactical trout assault this year.

REI will have all Mountain House on sale starting Friday. I don't recall if it is 20 or 25% off.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2016, 11:20:30 AM »
REI will have all Mountain House on sale starting Friday. I don't recall if it is 20 or 25% off.

Thanks Ron!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »
So if I poured some roux over french fries, would I have rouxtine?

Yes.  (are we not calling them Freedom Fries anymore?)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2016, 12:58:12 PM »
Yes.  (are we not calling them Freedom Fries anymore?)

I apologize. I did, indeed, mean to say "freedom fries."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »
Roux is one of those things that smells absolutely incredible when you're making it, but tastes like crap.

Last Christmas I was making roux for the gravy (couple days ahead of Christmas) and my brother came steaming into the kitchen wanting to sample what smelled so good. Had to disappoint him.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2016, 12:47:57 AM »
In which Brits do not like biscuits & gravy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIvQs1F3i2U

Not surprised. Like everything else, 90% of biscuits and gravy is tasteless, mushy gruel. (Then again, I thought Brits liked that sort of thing.) In any case, whatever recipe was used, it was probably wrong.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2016, 04:58:35 AM »

Mostly the sausage I use comes in a bag that's tied off at one end with a printed and stuck on lable with my name and the date I brought in the hog.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2016, 06:24:48 PM »
Had eggs and sausage gravy on cornbread over the weekend. A personal vice.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »
Had eggs and sausage gravy on cornbread over the weekend. A personal vice.

Brad

That sounds horrifying.