Author Topic: Interesting scenario... What gun/caliber would you pick?  (Read 8574 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Interesting scenario... What gun/caliber would you pick?
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »
One of the customizing places was rebarreling Saiga .410s to be a semiauto .444 Marlin.

That'd be interesting.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2008, 02:51:05 PM »
Forces of Hell invading Earth (or sometimes Phobos).  Been in that situation many a time.
Double barrel shotgun always seemed to fare the best...sometimes a rocket launcher for the minotaurs.

All you really need to know are the correct magic words...

IDDQD
IDKFA

I usually went with IDFA.  Getting keys for nothing is cheating. =p I just punched it in when I ran low on shotgun shells too.  Good times.  I think I still have them installed...need to fire them up.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2008, 03:21:33 PM »
But to be serious (at least as seriously as you can be in "what gun for demons" thread), I suppose we would really need to know a bit more about the demons' anatomy/physiology.

Why are they as tough as they are?

* Extremely tough / armoured skin?

Yes.  Many are also wearing metallic armor.

* Big, strong bones?

Their bone structure is scaled up to support a 800 pound demon, yes, they're big and strong

* Redundant internal organs? (E.g. back-up heart etc)

dissection isn't complete, but it's described as 'amazingly close to human'.  Some extra organs present.

* Rapid regeneration?

This is present.  Not wolverine level, but 'replace a lost limb in ~ a week'.

* No actual "realistic" anatomy? (I.e. so you basically have to shoot them to pieces rather than just hit them in the heart/CNS/etc)?

Don't have to shoot them to pieces, but they're just so big and tough that their equivalent to a adrenaline response means they can often remain active for several minutes after sustaining wounds that are ultimately fatal.  They also appear immune to shock.

Also, what sort of forces do they have?
Is it just infantry, or infantry and cavalry?  Or do they also have flying demons, artillery demons, tank demons, etc?  (And if they have flyers, would they simply be "flying infantry" that can easily get to wherever you don't want them, or are capable of performing air-superiority or ground attack roles?)

There is infantry and calvary.  The calvary are mounted on what's called 'rhinolobsters'.  There are flyers as well, dubbed 'harpies'.  Harpies are lighter and weaker than infantry, but able to breath fire, and are fast enough to catch apaches.  Their blood, however, is poisonous even to them when they're cut.

BTW, those recommending holy water and such:  They may be the demons that inspired the myths, but aren't the demons of the myths, if you know what I mean.  They do break known physics in a number of ways, but they're not necessarily magical.  Holy water has no effect, prayer has no effect, high velocity lead has effect, and we just found out that iron can act as a sort of poison.

Oh yeah, I remember the suggestions that we use shotguns for homeland defense - but I had a thought, aren't shotguns the #1 firearm in the USA and most of the rest of the world?  Combined with that the 12 gauge is the majority of those?

Anybody have an estimate on how many 12 gauge shotguns are in the USA?  Maybe we don't actually need to produce any, instead hiring a number of gunsmiths to vet(and perform minor modifications if necessary) that the gun is operational and safe for the iron sabot rounds are safe in it?

Sure, we won't have but the slightest amount of standardization, but realistically speaking, we shouldn't have to be doing any real maintenance on these guns during the initial part of the conflict.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2008, 09:41:12 PM »
All you really need to know are the correct magic words...

IDDQD
IDKFA

I thought the magic words were, "Klaatu Barada Nikto".   laugh
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.