Main Forums > The Roundtable

Electricians question

<< < (3/4) > >>

RocketMan:

--- Quote from: Jim147 on November 28, 2020, 07:51:43 PM ---What's tamper resistant? A butter knife won't fit in?
--- End quote ---

Pretty much.  Little kids and idiots won't (theoretically) be able to hurt themselves by shoving small metal objects into the slots.

Hawkmoon:

--- Quote from: RocketMan on November 28, 2020, 04:34:25 PM ---Also, be aware that some jurisdictions require that any new outlets installed be of the tamper resistant variety.  This is the case in my county, even though I was wanting to replace like-for-like outlets.

--- End quote ---

Probably not just "some" jurisdictions. The requirement was added to the National Electrical Code in 2005. I would be very surprised if there's any jurisdiction in the United States that's still using an edition of the NEC older than 2005.

makattak:
And a new wrinkle:

I put everything back together as I didn't have time/requisite knowledge to deal with the issue. No power after I put it together.

Forgot it wasn't working today and plugged my phone into it. It starts charging.

So the outlet works now. Thanks for all the help to fix it!

(Btw, no backstabs in the outlets. All attached at the side.)

Nick1911:

--- Quote from: makattak on November 29, 2020, 09:45:31 PM ---And a new wrinkle:

I put everything back together as I didn't have time/requisite knowledge to deal with the issue. No power after I put it together.

Forgot it wasn't working today and plugged my phone into it. It starts charging.

So the outlet works now. Thanks for all the help to fix it!

(Btw, no backstabs in the outlets. All attached at the side.)

--- End quote ---

Eh, plug a space heater in for a few hours.  If you've got a high resistance connection somewhere, it'll make itself evident.   :laugh:

(Don't actually do this!)

Hawkmoon:

--- Quote from: makattak on November 29, 2020, 09:45:31 PM ---I put everything back together as I didn't have time/requisite knowledge to deal with the issue. No power after I put it together.

So the outlet works now.

--- End quote ---

That's actually probably not a good thing. There's an intermittent problem with the neural on that circuit. It needs to be repaired, and it's more difficult to diagnose an intermittent fault than it is to diagnose a constant fault.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version