Author Topic: US Vetoes UN on Jerusalem  (Read 3863 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
US Vetoes UN on Jerusalem
« on: December 18, 2017, 02:20:43 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: US Vetoes UN on Jerusalem
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »
The vote, and then Ambassador Haley's discussion.  Worth powering through all 9:16 of it, including discussion of U.S.'s monetary contributions in the area.

https://youtu.be/49kO8Baj-uI

Haley's "I'll be blunt" at ~7:15.

"...an example of the U.N. doing more harm than good..." ~8:20

REF (Security Council Membership):
http://www.un.org/en/sc/members/

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »
Haley may end up putting the UN knickers in a knot more so than Bolton did.

At the UN we're always asked to do more & give more. So, when we make a decision, at the will of the American ppl, abt where to locate OUR embassy, we don't expect those we've helped to target us. On Thurs there'll be a vote criticizing our choice. The US will be taking names.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/12/19/the-us-will-be-taking-names-nikki-haley-puts-the-un-on-blast-over-embassy-vote/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 09:32:15 PM »
The Brits voted for it?

*expletive deleted*ck them. Let them pick up more UN freight then.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
The Brits voted for it?

*expletive deleted*ck them. Let them pick up more UN freight then.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Held hostage. The screaming beards and their mayor can wreck London.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
While you and I know what it means,  I was wondering how foreigners would interpret the "I'll be taking names" idiom.

I tried to look it up as search term "AND I'LL BE TAKING NAMES" and the only reasonably definitive description of it involved a song by Johnny Cash.  Others may have better search engine skills than I.

So I'm wondering if the Security Council will view it as the threat of future punishment* that it is.

While others have recommended getting the hell out of the UN, I've always been for staying in.  This incident kind of illustrates why.

Terry

* In terms of future vetoes, etc.,  of anything that benefits those who vote against the U.S.' interests on this coming Thursday, and the like...  "Hey, you voted against us?  And now you want some kind of aid from the U.N.?  You speak Quaker?  No?  Then 'Up Thine'."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:20:13 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 01:35:10 PM »
"While you and I know what it means,  I was wondering how foreigners would interpret the "I'll be taking names" idiom."

UN translators are probably the most capable translators in the world and must be very well versed in converting a speakers idiomatic language into phrases comprehensible to the listener.

Pretty much nation/region has idioms that are well known and commonly used, and those must be known to the translator.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 04:02:29 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY9gVIcRkkI

Meanwhile President Trump at today's Cabinet meeting:
"I like the message that Nikki sent yesterday at the United Nations for all of these nations that take our money and then they vote against us at the Security Council, or they vote against us potentially at the assembly," he said.

"They take hundreds of millions of dollars and even billions of dollars, and then they vote against us. Well, we're watching those votes," he added. "Let them vote against us, we’ll save a lot. We don't care."

Bolding mine. 

Let me just say

YES !!!!!!

It's high time we put all those nations on notice.  And have a president that won't play Mr. Nice.  As I posted on FB. 

Donald Trump has been president for 312 days and people still don't realize that his supporters did not vote for him because they wanted him to be nice.  They voted for him to get *expletive deleted*it done.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:24:28 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY9gVIcRkkI

Meanwhile President Trump at today's Cabinet meeting:
Bolding mine.  

Let me just say

YES !!!!!!

It's high time we put all those nations on notice.  And have a president that won't play Mr. Nice.  As I posted on FB.  

That video made me glad I asked about idioms.  Sometimes being iggerant pays off.

:rofl:

Terry

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »
I knew I had seen that horrible hair somewhere before! It's Trump honey badger! I wonder how many billions would die if we took our UN ball and went home, or just stopped feeding them money until everyone else produced.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 06:24:26 PM »
Amb. Bolton was on one of those Fox shows last night. I believe he liked what he heard. When they first cut to him at about 1 minute in he may have been chuckling. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hthbs9Kjsp0

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 07:16:59 PM »
"... I think it's best to create a new reality..."  Former U.N. Ambassador Bolton, at the end of that interview.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 12:00:38 PM »
The southern Triumvirate will appreciate this:

By order of the Governor, it's a great day to kick ass and take names.

=D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »
The vote is in. I really, really hope that Trump keeps his word and tells the UN and the countries with their hands out to us to stick it. I would love to see just one President in my lifetime drastically reduce funding. As in, divide the UN budget by the number of member countries and tell the jackasses that's the percentage we'll pay. See how that sticks in their craw.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12/21/un-showdown-looms-as-jerusalem-vote-nears-haley-threatens-to-take-names.html

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 07:48:48 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
They just know who their sugar daddy is.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 08:17:19 AM »
After watching and listening to more of Ambassador Haley I'm torn.

One the one hand, I want to have her babies.
On the other I really hope this isn't just more empty rhetoric.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 08:59:46 AM »
"One the one hand, I want to have her babies."

Well, God knows she's more man than you'll ever be!

:rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »
She's certainly more "man" than about anyone we've ever had as UN Ambassador.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
Well, Bolton, but he was under different leadership.  And an ambassador conveys the policies of the leadership rather than making policy.  Mostly.  I guess.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 06:28:29 AM »
I absolutely love how a lot of countries are crying about "You can't cut off our money! That's bullying!"

*expletive deleted*ck them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »
I absolutely love how a lot of countries are crying about "You can't cut off our money! That's bullying!"

*expletive deleted*ck them.

The bullies call us bullies.

Serious question: Is there any other major power besides us (and I guess Israel) at the UN that gets bullied as much as we do, and takes it? We are constantly being stepped on, kicked, and spit on, and other than a few occasions, we're always handing over our milk money, despite actually being the toughest kid on the block. While Russia and China get beat on too, they seem to tell the UN to get bent way, way more than we do.

All I want for Christmas is to cut our funding to the UN by half.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »

Serious question: Is there any other major power besides us (and I guess Israel) at the UN that gets bullied as much as we do, and takes it? We are constantly being stepped on, kicked, and spit on, and other than a few occasions, we're always handing over our milk money, despite actually being the toughest kid on the block. While Russia and China get beat on too, they seem to tell the UN to get bent way, way more than we do.

FTFY

Samuel Adams

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 10:39:17 PM »

FTFY

Fixing your fix:

(stolen from LawDog)

I'd follow up by ordering the Attorney General to bring a copy of any and all tax records concerning the UN building and UN personnel to my office. Along with a copy of Kelo v. New London.

People in major urban areas would riot.

I'd spend the evening tearing out the White House swimming pool and installing a gun range.

The next morning, Congress would issue a joint condemnation of my first day in office and the Media would hint broadly at lynch mobs.

While they were doing this, my Attorney General would be filing eminent domain proceedings against the UN.

Since I like to copper my bets, I'd draw an advance on my first months paycheck, buy a truckload of dynamite and order the Commandant of the Marine Corp to de-infestate the UN building.

While the Marines are chucking UN politicos off the pier, I'd be personally setting charges in the UN basement.

At lunchtime, I'd have a cheeseburger and fries and watch the UN building go up like a Roman candle.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy