Author Topic: Lessons Learned  (Read 6738 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Lessons Learned
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2011, 05:26:58 PM »
Hurricane lamps are better then flashlights.  They can light up a room and a jug of lamp oil last much longer then batteries.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »
agreed, but with kids around. the led/florescent lanterns are better. and you can get them with remotes. [popcorn]

they don't work as heaters to though.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2011, 08:27:06 PM »
i've got oil lamps with reflectors mounted on the walls in most rooms  burn long  safe  can't be reached by lil ones or knocked down
if i build again i'm gonna plumb soft copper to all rooms for gas lights
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2011, 10:20:49 PM »
The functional IQ of the common motorist drops 20-30 points or more when snow is actually falling.
Yesterday I had to make a trip to the next town for a visit to the eye doctor. On the 20 mile trip to town the roads were slick and snow/ice packed but perfectly manageable in 2 wheel drive. Traffic on the road and in town was moving slowly and in a more or less orderly fashion. After the eye appointment we slid on over to wally world to get supplies for my mother in law and daughter who lives with her, they hadn't thought it necessary to stock up on essential like food and diapers before the storm hit :facepalm:.
When we came out of Wal-Mart it was snowing at a pretty good rate. People idiots were sliding all over the place, several vehicles in the ditch. It was like they had never seen snow before.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2011, 01:16:10 PM »
Quote from: RoadKingLarry
The functional IQ of the common motorist drops 20-30 points or more when snow is actually falling any time there is a significant weather change.

The first day that it warms up and the snow melts, they'll be driving like idjits again.  Have several nice days followed by a windy day?  The cartards will appear once again.  I've decided it's not so much what the weather is, it's the fact that it's suddenly "different".

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »
Last night was up at the shop - 700 foot driveway, and steep. And I had to walk out down to the road. One of the guys met me there, and he has a hand-crank LED flashlight that he keeps in his glovebox. VERY nice...
Blog under construction

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »
What brand?  How long did it hold enough charge to keep the LEDs lit?

Every hand-cranked LED I've seen or touched was a POS that could not stay lit for five minutes, and most cranks either broke off or were so tiny that cranking them was torture until they broke off.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.