Author Topic: Lessons Learned  (Read 6761 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Lessons Learned
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »

Did you learn anything during the snow/ice/weather?

I didn't learn anything earth shattering, but some stuff one doesn't think about.

- Keep spare set of gloves in the car. 
- ANY gloves are better than no gloves
- A small fixed shovel is bulky, but very bloody handy
- Need to immediately build a multi-source boost converter charger for my cell phone.  I'm building at a minimum of a AA->USB and a Solar->Li Poly->USB rig.  Fully charged cell phone is the best tool to save your life during winter weather.
- Cash.  Keep it handy, and not only in large bills.  Credit cards are great until a transformer explodes (apparently even catching a nearby tree on fire, in the middle of an ice storm).
- Lighter beats any fancy primitive fire creating mechanism.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Lessons Learned
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
Gloves suck. We have a big box of mil surplus mittens (with trigger fingers...) and wool liners. Love the dang things. If you're interested and wanna pay postage, drop me a note, I'll ask the boss what he wants for 'em, and shoot you a pair.

Get one of the adapters that has a 12 volt cig lighter hole on one end, and battery clips on the other. That'll charge your cell phone.

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 01:48:42 PM »
That the power grid in Texas is pretty fragile in the winter.  Gotta step up plans to score a genset. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »
- Need to immediately build a multi-source boost converter charger for my cell phone.  I'm building at a minimum of a AA->USB and a Solar->Li Poly->USB rig.  Fully charged cell phone is the best tool to save your life during winter

You can buy the AA -> USB one cheap.

http://www.meritline.com/usb-2-pc-aa-battery-emergency-charger-ce01-ipo---p-55167.aspx

$5, actually less right now, and that includes shipping.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
That the power grid in Texas is pretty fragile in the winter.  Gotta step up plans to score a genset. 

Yep, my work site has no power ATM. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
My stove thread is one. Also need to replace a stolen ice scraper and stock up on candles, and acquire a battery-powered radio.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
My stove thread is one. Also need to replace a stolen ice scraper and stock up on candles, and acquire a battery-powered radio.

I need one of those for hurricane season.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »
You can buy the AA -> USB one cheap.

http://www.meritline.com/usb-2-pc-aa-battery-emergency-charger-ce01-ipo---p-55167.aspx

$5, actually less right now, and that includes shipping.

Not bad.  Think I'll buy two.  But I'm still building my own, because it's important to learn how to do so properly.  Nick and I spent too long haggling over designs to just BUY one. 

Gloves suck. We have a big box of mil surplus mittens (with trigger fingers...) and wool liners. Love the dang things. If you're interested and wanna pay postage, drop me a note, I'll ask the boss what he wants for 'em, and shoot you a pair.

Get one of the adapters that has a 12 volt cig lighter hole on one end, and battery clips on the other. That'll charge your cell phone.

Will drop you a line.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:04:41 PM »
Re: emergency radios, I've been looking at the Eton FR300, for the lamp and crank accessory charging. Open to other ideas, though.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »
I need one of those for hurricane season.

Let me shout out for the Eton/Freeplay series of radios:

http://www.rei.com/search?search=Electronics&jxBrand=Eton&hist=search,Electronics^jxBrand,Eton

I have a few of them at home and in the cars. I buy the models that also include the built-in flashlight and ability to charge the cell phone. If necessary, you can crank them to get enough power to run the radio, shine the flashlight or charge up the cell phone.  The solar panel functionality can be relatively useless in Seattle, but may come in handy if Armageddon occurs during the summer.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 04:25:50 PM »
That the power grid in Texas is pretty fragile in the winter.  Gotta step up plans to score a genset.  
I don't know if the power grid itself is so fragile, but rather the power plants down in Southeast and South Texas just are not used to sub-freezing temperatures.  They have heat tracing and insulation in places, but it often isn't complete and has gaps.  Those spots aren't noticed until you get 50 or 10 degrees below freezing and stuff starts freezing up.  It makes it worse when you are trying to restart swing plants that are shut down at night or ones that are idle. 

I say this because the plant I work at had a lot of problems yesterday also.  Interstage condensate knockout pots have a high level trip point that is normally not a problem until one of the sensor lines freezes up because of a gap in the insulation or the heat tracing isn't turned on, or the utility steam header in the area wasn't checked and is full of frozen condensate.  We also had low temperature problems on a couple PLC controllers.  The control panel has a heater, but it was fed off a utility breaker that was tripped off line (apparently for a while).  That caused a lot of weird alarms that added to the confusion.  Lots of little problems crop up that are difficult to anticipate.  I imagine the power plants in the area had similar issues.  Many of them are plants that are shut down or shut off at night so the areas that normally have a heat load are cold.  Also, our service water line froze up in a couple spots so if we had to fill up a cooling tower or something, that would have been delayed.  

In the frozen wastelands up North I hear that most chemical plants are enclosed in buildings to help with this.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:36:59 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 04:39:23 PM »
Lessons learns: A bit of frozen water vapor in the injection line can render the arctic kit ether injector useless on my truck and thus unable to start at -10*F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »
Lesson #___: A 230-pound adult male canNOT stand or walk on a roof with a pitch of 7:12 when said roof is covered with snow, which is in turn covered with ice.

Lesson # ___+1: Nothing short of detcord (or a STND) can remove ice dams from eaves and gutters after three major storms, in 20-degree temperatures.

Lesson #___+2: Women do not like to listen to water dripping into the master bedroom all night.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
Lesson:  A heavy coat is all you need above freezing, but once you get cold down there, you really need something for you hands, head, and ears. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 06:30:15 PM »

Honda portables are excellent. Or are you looking for an installed, standby generator?

Our old genset with a Briggs and Stratton engine is also extremely reliable (as in fires up within the first couple of pulls virtually everytime)

Lesson #___: A 230-pound adult male canNOT stand or walk on a roof with a pitch of 7:12 when said roof is covered with snow, which is in turn covered with ice.

Honestly, snow covered with ice is very, very difficult to walk own on level ground. Wouldn't dare go up on a roof like that.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
Gloves suck.

Naw, I think for most people, most of the time, gloves are fine. It really depends on what you're doing, how long you're doing it, and how cold it is.

But now that you mention it, I should take my mil-surp mittens to work. They'll be perfect for the next time I'm operating an open-cab skid steer in a snow storm. When all you're doing is moving two big joysticks, and occasionally hitting the gas, you tend to freeze.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
Did you learn anything during the snow/ice/weather?

I didn't learn anything earth shattering, but some stuff one doesn't think about.

- Keep spare set of gloves in the car. 
- ANY gloves are better than no gloves
-

Lesson learned -- if you've lost you good gloves in the middle of the winter, the pickings at the store are pretty slim.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
A good video game can go a long way when stuck at home.  Shame I don't have any.

+1 on the small fixed shovel.  Started carrying my small Swiss WWII shovel in my car, and it's helped.

Wiley Post Airport (KPWA) NEVER closes.  To all you airplane drivers, that doesn't mean we can dig your 152 out of its hangar when you get a bug up yer butt and NEED TO GO FLYING RIGHT NOW.   :mad: Military and Medical Evac helos get first priority--they always have, and always will.

FOUR WHEEL DRIVE DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO SPEED PAST EVERYONE AND FORCE THEM TO SWERVE IN SNOW, JACKWAGONS.  Slow the *&^%$ down!!!

Sludge on the roads will get on the windshield.  This does not mean that your wipers will get it off, or that your wiper fluid lines are open.  :facepalm:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »
When my gloves get wet/cold, I use socks.  Mostly just for snow clearing, walking the dog, running, etc.  My cheap-but-good+versatile hand-protection this winter is a pair of Smartwool glove liners.  When it's really cold and working outside, add a pair of those 2/$1 stretchy gloves from WM.  The men's version is, iirc, marginally more expensive but actually has a cuff.  When those get wet or cold, use socks on top of the smartwools.  Wool or cotton, depending on what is handy and how long I need it to be warm.

Lessons learned?  

Budget more for gas.  Nationwide blizzards jack up prices fast, driving in low gear uses up gas faster.  Not usually significant, but when cash is tight, it sure is.

Salt instead of sand for getting unstuck, as per D-Day.  I dunno though, my father always said sand is better.  Not sure why, I'll have to ask when I see him.

Synthetic tech fabric yoga pants over long johns and/or running tights is warmer and more comfortable than jeans over long johns.  Is there a guy version of yoga pants?  I guess just athletic type pants. Doesn't get damp/wet easily, doesn't get heavy, snow doesn't stick as much, etc.  Discovered this by accident this morning when I threw some pants and a fleece on over PJ's aka t-shirt and long johns to dig out, but it figures.  Can't believe I've been putting on jeans to shovel all these years just so they could get wet, cold, and heavy.

That's all I got.  Pretty unadventurous around here.  Stayed home yesterday with the kiddos, didn't even venture outside at all.  Made brownies and did crafts.  The kitchen floor needed cleaning, so I let the kiddos play "cooking" with the kitchen sink full of water.  Did not need a bucket to scrub the floor.  Read a story about animals hunkering down and storing food to prepare for winter and stay in PJ/loungy house clothes most of the day, and no one got upset about not going out and frolicking in it.  Their dad can take the big one sledding this weekend.

But one of my neighbors snowblowed a path over my sidewalk yesterday. Still trying to figure out how to work in stuff like shoveling and dog-walking into the whole single mom thing.  Not very robust about the cold this winter either.  It snowed late evening through mid-morning and was blowing and drifting a lot for most of the day.  I can't leave the kiddos in the house when they are awake, what with the into-everything eighteen month old, and I balked at going out late at night for some pretty good reasons.  Headed out at 5 this morning to dig out, but the path had already been cleared.  Don't know if someone is pissed at me for being lazy/slow or trying to be nice, knowing that I don't have a snowblower.  =|

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »
^^^ I bet they were just being nice.  I shovel the sidewalk and driveway for my elderly neighbors, because I know they can't do it, and otherwise they are housebound.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
Salt instead of sand for getting unstuck, as per D-Day.  I dunno though, my father always said sand is better.  Not sure why, I'll have to ask when I see him.

Sand.

Salt is for melting ice/snow. Sand is for traction NOW, without waiting to melt through six inches of solidly-compacted snow or ice to get the tires on pavement (or dirt).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »
+1 on the fixed shovel. I've been dragging around a garden shovel with a cut down handle in the bed of my truck for years wondering when the dang thing would come in handy. I have now spent 3 days punching through hard packed snow and ice that would have laughed at anything made of plastic. Also, college students are completely unprepared to deal with being snowed in on a closed campus. I just helped a young couple dig their way out of a drift because they were using a T-square and a windshield scraper to shovel their way out.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 10:15:17 PM »

Lesson # ___+1: Nothing short of detcord (or a STND) can remove ice dams from eaves and gutters after three major storms, in 20-degree temperatures.

Lesson #___+2: Women do not like to listen to water dripping into the master bedroom all night.

Lesson #___+3: Wear a hardhat and goggles if you try to chip the ice dam from the gutters with a small pickaxe while standing below.  It does not matter than you are not *directly* below.  (ouch)
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 10:21:16 PM »
* 600lbs (480 sand, 120 salt) in the truck bed provides enough heft to keep the *expletive deleted*ss end of my rice-burning pickup firmly planted.  Also a margin for traction use under the tires if need be.  When I got home, I transferred 180lbs of the sand into the back of the Element.

* When traveling by auto, dress/bring clothes as if you are going to spend all day outside in the cold.  Lotsa accidents happen on ice.  If it is your lucky day, you may be standing around in the cold for a while or in an unheated auto.

* The dumbazz/reasonable person ratio rises on the road when conditions get icy/slick.  Here's a clue: Exceeding 55MPH when the only non-slick spots are ruts between ice humps is not done in honor of Sammy Hagar, it is done in honor of Charles Darwin.

* If one of your drivable autos has already been condemned as totaled by an insurance company and the only thing keeping you from handing it over is the ice storm and its effects on business, drive the totaled auto around, not the un-wrecked one.  

* Wool.  Hats, gloves/mittens, blankets.  Wool.

* Water softener salt pellets will melt ice.  In one small spot directly around the pellet, but nowhere else.

* Jammies, especially flannel jammy bottoms.  Normally, I am a skivvies-only to bed kinda guy, but the aforementioned bedclothes get use when it gets this cold.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 10:29:39 PM »
* When traveling by auto, dress/bring clothes as if you are going to spend all day outside in the cold.  Lotsa accidents happen on ice.  If it is your lucky day, you may be standing around in the cold for a while or in an unheated auto.

Kids are a challenge in this regard.  For a while, I tried to always have outdoor-suitable gear in the car for each kid.  But daycare wants spare snowpants for each kid, and mittens disappear, and coats cost a small fortune and don't last.  I've settled on a stack of wool blankets, a long piece of wool for a kid carrier if need be, and a sack of mixed sizes of socks, mittens, and hats.  Cheap milsurp jacket for me, adds warmth to whatever I'm wearing.  Obviously for longer trips I make sure we've got everything for everyone, but my compromise has come in handy a couple times and didn't cost extra.