Author Topic: Cindy Sheehan Buries Her Uterus in Crawford  (Read 3821 times)

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Cindy Sheehan Buries Her Uterus in Crawford
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 08:35:35 AM »
Quote from: fistful
OK, mfree.  It would simplify matters if there was any way of knowing what Terry Schiavo would have wanted.  Her husband's assertion that she wanted to die is suspicious and not properly substantiated.
Regardless of any thing you might have wanted for her, the law made her husband the person that got to decide. It is not up to you.

As for the unsubstantiated part of it, very few younger people tell anyone but their spouse what they want in such a case, and even fewer write it down. Are you suggesting that we leave people on life support indefinately unless there is something in writing?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 09:07:03 AM »
Heck.  I'd volunteer to go dig it up and feed it to the coyotes, just to spite her.  I doubt it's embalmed, so I can't be legally charged with endangering native wildlife... cool
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 12:53:39 PM »
Quote from: ilbob
OK, mfree.  It would simplify matters if there was any way of knowing what Terry Schiavo would have wanted.  Her husband's assertion that she wanted to die is suspicious and not properly substantiated.
Regardless of any thing you might have wanted for her, the law made her husband the person that got to decide. It is not up to you.

As for the unsubstantiated part of it, very few younger people tell anyone but their spouse what they want in such a case, and even fewer write it down. Are you suggesting that we leave people on life support indefinately unless there is something in writing?
ilbob, tell me where I said it was my decision, or apologize.  I never said it was up to me.  I said it was up to Terri Schiavo, and we don't know what she wanted.  This is not about me at all.  

As I understand it, the law demanded that Terry Schiavo be cared for by a legal guardian of some kind, rather than her husband.  The law, apparently, was not followed correctly.  Doesn't it seem odd to you that a man would be allowed to make that decision when he had so much to gain by killing her?  He received a large settlement that he claimed would be used for treatment.  She received minimal treatment.

Again, she wasn't on life support, she was just receiving food and water.  She needed constant care to stay alive, but so do a lot of people.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 02:50:29 PM »
Quote from: ilbob

I'm not sure what fistful is suggesting, but I'll suggest exactly what you've said.  Leave people on life support unless they've left written instructions otherwise.  If Schaivo was serious about her decision, she should have written it down.

For better or worse, her husband wanted her dead.  Given his current situation in regards to future plans to marry, insurance payouts, and so forth, I'm highly suspect of his objectivity in the decision.  It should never have been his decision, it should have been hers.  If Mr. Schaivo is so enamored with death, perhaps he should look into it for himself rather than imposing it upon someone else who isn't in a position to object.

Ultimatley, though, it was a judge that decided whether she lived or died.  Frankly, I'm extremely uncomfortable with a judge weilding life or death powers over anyone who hasn't been convicted of a capital crime.

It's awfully easy for someone to say that death is the best alternative, so long as it isn't their own death that's under consideration.  

The only person who should have authority to terminate a man's life is himself, not some uncaring spouse and not some black robed oligarch (duly convicted capital offenders excepted).

It worries me deeply that the "Christian Right" is the only body of people who were disturbed by this situation, and that the mainstream body politic considers them to be kooks because of it.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 04:15:43 PM »
She was already dead in the only way that really matters.
D. R. ZINN

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 06:24:30 PM »
To quote ilbob, "It is not up to you."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 06:50:36 PM »
I'm REALLY sorry I mentioned Terry Schiavo, okay?

Start your own thread, if you like.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.