Author Topic: What to put on my 10/22...  (Read 6753 times)

Regolith

• friend
What to put on my 10/22...
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »
I got a new 10/22 stainless a couple months back.  Haven't shot it yet because I've been too busy with college, but hopefully I'll be able to remedy that soon.

Anyway, I'm not very happy with the basic sights that come on it.  Normally I like iron sights, but I can't stand the simple notched sights like what come on the 10/22; I prefer the "buckhorn" or "semi-buckhorn" style.

I was thinking about putting something else on it.  I'm not sure I want to put a scope on it, but if I do it will likely be a low fixed power, maybe 3 or 4x.  I was thinking about putting a red-dot sight on it, but I don't want to spend much.  $100 is absolute upper limit, and I'd prefer to keep it closer to $60.

I'm not going to be doing any precision shooting with it, and I probably won't be shooting much past 100 yards.  I figure whatever I use needs to be able to keep within the accuracy of the rifle (which I don't know yet, since I haven't shot it - may be as low as 2 moa, may be as high as 4).

The Wal-Mart here sells BSA red dots for around $50 or $60, IIRC, and the Bi-Mart sells a Tasco red dot for around $60 or $70.  Are either of these any good for my application, or am I better off going with a scope?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

One of Many

• friend
Re: What to put on my 10/22...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »
If you can wait for a sale after deer hunting season is over, you may get a very good deal on a variable power scope with an adjustable objective lens to compensate for parallax. I think you will find the 10/22 to be a very accurate rifle, if you have a decent trigger on it, and feed it with quality ammo. I do not recommend the cheap scopes designed for .22 rifles, and if you intend to hunt small game with it the better scope will help tremendously over a red dot optic. Small game at distance requires better shot placement than you can get from a red dot with a 5 MOA dot and no magnification.

If you want a good iron sight, I suggest that you look at an aperture (peep) sight. If you can find one that mounts to the scope rail, then you can easily exchange the peep for an optic when the circumstances demand higher precision.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »
Put ketchup, mustard, pickles, corn relish, bacon, cheese, onions, and bean sprouts on it. Mmm-mmmmm, good!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:48:10 PM »
a 50 to 100 round drum mag, and a weekend of shear bliss.  That is if you can scrape up some ammo.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »
I really like the tech sights.  But the other option that I like for the 10/22 is the williams sights...

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »
the fake aimpoints are pretty good

http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/productview.php?productId=111

Who wrote that website?

"Our product was made by aircraft aluminum with water resistant feature. The scope is specifically designed for real firearm and be mounted in all standard picatinny rails."

Lack of understanding what pluralization is, not to mention "made by aircraft aluminum".  Sounds like a bad translation.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 11:47:42 PM »
The Williams Sights look interesting.  I'd come across them while looking for sights in the past, but I didn't know how good of quality they are. The ones I'd want to try (the WGRS-RU22 Guide Receiver peep sight) are out of stock at MidwayUSA, unfortunately. 

What is the general quality on these, and how easy are they to use? I've never messed with peep sights before, though I understand generally how to use them...and should I get the brass bead sight or the fiber optic "Fire Sight"?  They both cost the same...

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 12:17:45 AM »
If you get Williams, get the FP series.  They have internal mechanical detents for adjustment.

A bit more expensive than Tech Sights, but nicer IMO.  Not that Tech Sights are bad... just not as nice as the Williams.  And get a fiber optic front sight.

With requirements between 2 and 4MOA I think you're more than adequate with irons.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
Will I need to have the receiver tapped for the FP series?  It looks like it mounts differently than the WGRS series.  I don't particularly want to have to take it to a gunsmith to have it worked on; the nearest one is 45 miles away, I have no idea how good he is, and it just adds to the cost.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:17:29 AM by Regolith »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »
Peep sights or a scope :-)
I have a scope on my 10/22.  Its a lower power scope, but it shoots well.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »
I think I saw this same post on THR.us.  :)

I recently got a 10/22.  I had a Simmons 1.5-5X sitting on the shelf so since it came with the mount, I mounted it.  It shoots pretty good.  I think I'd prefer a fixed power at about 4X or so if I was buying one.  I would have to be careful how cheap I went though. 

I have no experience with cheap red dots.  It seems to me that for more precise shooting, I'd want something better.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 12:25:32 AM »
I think I saw this same post on THR.us.  :)

If you did, it wasn't by me.   :lol:

Although, I did post in a thread that was decrying the decline of quality in 10/22s, and I said some of the same things...

I recently got a 10/22.  I had a Simmons 1.5-5X sitting on the shelf so since it came with the mount, I mounted it.  It shoots pretty good.  I think I'd prefer a fixed power at about 4X or so if I was buying one.  I would have to be careful how cheap I went though. 

I have no experience with cheap red dots.  It seems to me that for more precise shooting, I'd want something better.

I'm iffy on scopes.  I prefer to use irons unless the situation calls for a scope, and shooting at 100 yards doesn't really qualify.  I briefly mentioned them to see if someone had any good ideas.  Red dots sounded good, but it looks like the cheap ones aren't worth it.

I think I'm going to go with the Williams peep sights.  Not sure if I'm going with the FP series or with the WGRS series; I'll probably do the FP if someone can assure me that they mount to the factory scope mounting holes.  If not, I'll go with the other ones, even if they are a bit harder to use.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:33:44 AM »
How about an IPod?....I'm sure it can be adapted....

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=17468.0

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 11:16:53 AM »
I got the FP 336 from Midway for my Marlin 30/30.  It mounted in the two rear scope mount holes.  I would assume a 10/22 version would do the same, but I didn't see it on Midway's site.  It seems to me it would give more adjustment than the other type. 

For me, I have a Marlin 39A with iron sights so I figured I would go ahead and mount the scope on the 10/22.  The iron sights didn't impress me much and it came with the scope mount rail anyway. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »
Actually.....the real answer would be....

Everything....

:angel:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »

Everything....
Including chocolate sprinkles?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 01:49:48 PM »
The only bolt-on peep Williams offers for the 10/22 is the WGRS type. That rear sight will require a higher front sight-post be installed, but the recommended height is listed on their web site.

If you want to mount the Fool-Proof peep sight, you will have to do modifications to the 10/22, and it may not even be practical. You would need to contact Williams to see which model of FP sight would be suitable for mounting on a modified 10/22.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 06:18:54 PM »
The only bolt-on peep Williams offers for the 10/22 is the WGRS type. That rear sight will require a higher front sight-post be installed, but the recommended height is listed on their web site.

If you want to mount the Fool-Proof peep sight, you will have to do modifications to the 10/22, and it may not even be practical. You would need to contact Williams to see which model of FP sight would be suitable for mounting on a modified 10/22.

Thanks for the information.   I think I'll be getting the WGRS series, then.  The set offered by Midway comes with a front post, so I don't have to worry about finding one with the right height.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »
Including chocolate sprinkles?

Sure....but Jelly Bellys don't feed through the mags very well... :P
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »
I have a Beeman 2.5X on one of mine.  Shoot it today, does a great job.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 09:05:46 PM »

Everything....

Is there a single component in that actually made by ruger?

[/quote]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 01:25:57 PM »
Is there a single component in that actually made by ruger?

I imagine the original receiver and serial number are buried in there somewhere.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
I imagine the original receiver and serial number are buried in there somewhere.

You don't even need that anymore
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?