Author Topic: Gun seller offering discounts to 'save lives'  (Read 6144 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Gun seller offering discounts to 'save lives'
« on: April 28, 2008, 08:40:49 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/24/va.tech.niu/index.html

Gun seller offering discounts to 'save lives'

From Abbie Boudreau
CNN

(CNN) -- The owner of a company that sold firearm merchandise to both the Virginia Tech University and Northern Illinois University shooters said he will sell his guns at cost for the next two weeks in hopes that "law-abiding" citizens will buy them to prevent similar tragedies.

"I want to help people save lives," Eric Thompson said Thursday. He was to speak Thursday evening at Virginia Tech University at an event sponsored by Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Thompson made the announcement Wednesday.

"I feel like I have a special responsibility to show people what guns are, what the laws are, and to allow people to protect themselves," Thompson said. "Initially, I wanted this to be an offer for college students," he said. "But there's no real way to determine whether someone is a college student ... so we opened it up to any legal American."

Thompson owns TGSCOM Inc, a Green Bay, Wisconsin-based company that operates about 100 Web sites that sell firearms. Among them are www.topglock.com and www.thegunsource.com, two Web sites that the NIU and Virginia Tech gunmen used to buy firearm merchandise.

Steven Kazmierczak, who killed five students before turning the gun on himself at NIU on February 14, bought two Glock 9 mm magazines and a Glock holster from www.topglock.com.

And Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho bought a Walther P22 from www.thegunsource.com.

Cho killed 32 students and professors before killing himself April 16, 2007.
Don't Miss

* In Depth: Remembering Virginia Tech
    * Students want chance to defend themselves

Thompson said he has a "really emotional and raw feeling" about having links to the attacks. "I feel absolutely terrible for the parents, students and schools."

However, he added, "I'm selling a piece of plastic and a piece of metal ... and I think the media focuses on something different. ... I think they should focus on the murderer and not the weapon."

Thompson acknowledged that his guns could again be used in a crime.

"There's a small chance of these discounted guns getting into the hands of the wrong people," he said. But, he added, "as a federally licensed gun dealer, we have to rely on federal background checks."

He emphasized that he thinks he is doing the right thing. "This isn't fun, and this isn't easy," he said. "I could have easily stuck my head in the sand and ignored all of this, but sometimes the easy way to go is not the right thing to do."

He said, "I'm not making a single dime off of this. ... I will probably end up losing thousands and thousands [of dollars]."

Furthermore, he added, he and his family have received threatening phone calls; some included death threats.

"I do not feel I have extreme views," he said. "I think I have open eyes."

NIU did not immediately issue a response to Thompson's offer.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker issued a statement regarding Thompson's appearance there Thursday.

"Free speech is a hallmark of university life," he said. "Still, I find it terribly offensive to learn that the gun-seller of the weapons used in the Virginia Tech campus murders would set foot on this campus."

The statement did not address Thompson's offer, and the school did not immediately reply to a request for a response.

"Furthermore, he added, he and his family have received threatening phone calls; some included death threats."

I find it ironic that anti-gunners would say things like that.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Gun seller offering discounts to 'save lives'
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 08:42:27 AM »
Oh, leftists are extremely violent at times. Weather Underground?

There's quite a few of them who would try to kill you for espousing a cause they consider violent.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:10:48 AM »

The Weather Underground never tried to kill anyone. Who do you think is in my avatar?  Tongue
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:27:05 AM »
Maybe GM will sell cars at costs becasue college students have probably used cars to kill people?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:12:43 AM »
He's not interested in 'saving lives'.  He's interested in making a buck in a down economy.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »
How many bucks is he gonna make by selling guns at cost?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:52:05 AM »
How many bucks is he gonna make by selling guns at cost?

Accessories, consumables, ammo, etc.  Plus, customers will return because they feel like they got a "deal".

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:19:40 PM »

The Weather Underground never tried to kill anyone. Who do you think is in my avatar?  Tongue

On the off chance that you did not write that tongue in cheek:
Declaration of a State of War

In 1970, following the police raid that resulted in the death of Black Panther Fred Hampton, the group issued a "Declaration of a State of War" against the United States government, using for the first time its new name, the "Weather Underground Organization" (WUO), adopting fake identities, and pursuing covert activities only. These initially included preparations for a bombing of a U.S. military non-commissioned officers' dance at Fort Dix, New Jersey in what Brian Flanagan said had been intended to be "the most horrific hit the United States government had ever suffered on its territory".[10]

Of course, they then proceeded to blow up several of their own in Greenwich Village and had a bit of a re-evaluation in light of their self-immolation.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
Accessories, consumables, ammo, etc.  Plus, customers will return because they feel like they got a "deal".

Maybe because they did get an awesome deal? What is wrong with people buying accessories?

On the off chance that you did not write that tongue in cheek:

Nope. Again, avatar, Smiley

Of course, they then proceeded to blow up several of their own in Greenwich Village and had a bit of a re-evaluation in light of their self-immolation.

They didn't blow up there own. 3 of there members accidentally blew themselves up. They never went through with the bombing of the dance because they realized that it would be wrong, which is why they then always left warnings before they bombed a place to make sure that no one got hurt.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »
We're supposed to know who's in your avatar?  My copy of Google 5.0 does not come with Reverse Image Search.   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 03:43:12 PM »

Maybe because they did get an awesome deal? What is wrong with people buying accessories?

Did I say anything was wrong with people buying accessories?

Chris

nico

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »
An article about this was posted on arfcom a week or so ago.  If you look at the prices (which are mostly reasonable, but there's no way in hell they're at his cost), it's pretty obvious the guy is just trying to take advantage of the situation/publicity, which is pretty despicable. 

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »

Weren't you implying that he was trying to take advantage of the situation by offering the guns at dealer cost which would cause people to want to buy things like accessories therefore making a profit? Even though he would be losing more money off of the guns than he would be making off of accessories.

We're supposed to know who's in your avatar?  My copy of Google 5.0 does not come with Reverse Image Search.   rolleyes

What are these lies that you speak? LIES I say!! Cheesy While you might not of, I thought that if they had known about The Weather Underground they might remember what they had looked like. I'm not saying that you are supposed to know who it is either.

taurusowner

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »
nico, do you actually know what firearms cost to the dealer wholesale? Or are you just making assumptions?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »

Weren't you implying that he was trying to take advantage of the situation by offering the guns at dealer cost which would cause people to want to buy things like accessories therefore making a profit? Even though he would be losing more money off of the guns than he would be making off of accessories.

No, I was pointing out that the vendor can still make money by selling the gun at cost because folks will need to buy the items that go along with a gun.  No different than how printer manufacturers sell printers at a loss because they make money off the ink and paper.

Chris

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 04:16:30 PM »
No, I was pointing out that the vendor can still make money by selling the gun at cost because folks will need to buy the items that go along with a gun.  No different than how printer manufacturers sell printers at a loss because they make money off the ink and paper.

Really the only "accessories" one needs are bullets. And you would have to get those whether or not you paid the gun at full price. Or if you wanted, buy them somewhere else. Or maybe you all ready have them.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 05:42:15 PM »
Really the only "accessories" one needs are bullets. And you would have to get those whether or not you paid the gun at full price. Or if you wanted, buy them somewhere else. Or maybe you all ready have them.

Or maybe you don't.  Or maybe you feel compelled to stock up on holsters, ammo, and cleaning supplies because you got a fantastic good deal.  Whatever the motivation, the fact remains that some folks will buy gun related *stuff* to go with their new gun, which means the guy will make *some* money, which was the point I was making to HTG when he asked how is this guy going to make any money selling guns at cost.  Simple concept really, sell one item at a reduced price because that sale will drive the sale of related products (if for no other reason than the folks are already in the store).

Chris

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
which was the point I was making to HTG when he asked how is this guy going to make any money selling guns at cost.

So where you merely answering Headless Thompson Gunner or are you in agreement with Paddy?

nico

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 06:50:56 PM »
nico, do you actually know what firearms cost to the dealer wholesale? Or are you just making assumptions?
I'm making the assumption based on prices people reported paying in the arfcom thread, as well as prices that can easily be researched online.  Here's an example: the CZ SP01 is $533 delivered at Bud's Gun Shop and $528.20 + shipping at Guns at Cost.  Bud's makes no claims that they're selling their guns at/below cost.  If the guy really sells as many guns as the article implies, there's no reason Bud's should be able to get a better price than he does.  The 75B SA is $461.10.  In Maryland, a state with notoriously high handgun prices (often $50+ more than neighboring states), I paid $500 for mine. 

Have you looked at the site?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 07:09:53 PM »
which was the point I was making to HTG when he asked how is this guy going to make any money selling guns at cost.

So where you merely answering Headless Thompson Gunner or are you in agreement with Paddy?

Considering I quoted HTG and not Paddy, one could assume I was responding to HTG.  What's your point?

Chris

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 07:35:21 PM »
Considering I quoted HTG and not Paddy, one could assume I was responding to HTG.  What's your point?

And HTG was questioning Paddy. Therefore I was thinking that you were agreeing with Paddy.

Now if what nico is saying is true then perhaps he is trying to use the situation to make money, and that wouldn't be right. But I haven't read through the arfcom thread.

nico

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »
Now if what nico is saying is true then perhaps he is trying to use the situation to make money, and that wouldn't be right. But I haven't read through the arfcom thread.
You don't need to read through the arfcom thread.  All you have to do is compare his prices to a few other vendors.  He's being disingenuous at the very least. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 03:59:38 AM »
He's not interested in 'saving lives'.  He's interested in making a buck in a down economy.

Are the two mutually exclusive?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

taurusowner

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 10:45:44 AM »
Wait, when did we come to the conclusion that at American busniness owner trying to turn a profit in a market based economy is a bad thing?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 11:01:19 AM »
"You don't need to read through the arfcom thread.  All you have to do is compare his prices to a few other vendors.  He's being disingenuous at the very least."

You're assuming that every gun dealer in the United States gets the same wholesale price from the distributors they deal with.

They don't.

The differences in what one dealer will pay as compared to another dealer, even dealers in the same area buying from the same distributor, can be quite dramatic.

This man may very well be selling guns at HIS cost; but his cost may not be someone else's cost.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.