Author Topic: where to get film developed?  (Read 8881 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: where to get film developed?
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 05:48:21 AM »
Yeah but they have to actually develop the film first. That's the only step I'm worried about. I don't really care if the prints suck if my negatives turned out competently.

Developing film is the easy part.  Printing is where it gets tricky.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 06:00:56 AM »
Film is dead

the mass market of 400 ISO, 36 print rolls was what made it affordable

Now that everyone has a 6-10 Mpxl digital camera,
There is no mass market and the bricks of Velvia are a finite resource

There used to be several developers in any urban area to handle the load.

My wife the luddite sends her film to www.snapfish.com

35mm Film Developing
(35mm film & single-use cameras)   
First roll: Developing & prints (3.5 x 5" or 4 x 6" prints only)   Free
After First roll: Developing & prints (3.5 x 5" or 4 x 6")   $2.99
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 06:07:58 AM »
I'm looking a that site right now. But it seems there's $2 of S&H, so it's actually $4.98/roll. With prints and low-res scans, sure, but that's not the screaming deal I thought it was.

Walmart and Wolf here in dallas have Fuji color 200 for $6/4 rolls.

Film is dead

So I keep hearing. We went to Wolf Camera yesterday to see if they had developing supplies (they don't). The old guy in charge was quick to declare that 'film is dead, I haven't shot film in close to 4 years'. When my partner went over to the DSLR case to find out if his film-era lenses would work with a Nikon D80, the same guy kept fondling his 35mm, quietly declaring its features, and repeating 'these were some sweet cameras'. We practically had to yank it out of his hands.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 06:11:24 AM »
bricks of Velvia are a finite resource

Probably not a bad thing.  I hate Velvia and its oversaturated colors.

35mm Film Developing
(35mm film & single-use cameras)   
First roll: Developing & prints (3.5 x 5" or 4 x 6" prints only)   Free
After First roll: Developing & prints (3.5 x 5" or 4 x 6")   $2.99

I didn't know Snapfish did developing.  The prepaid packages are a pretty good deal.  I may have to give them a try.

BTW, when the baby arrives, I'll be taking the delivery room pix with Kodak T-Max 3200 so I can avoid using any flash.  It'll be grainy as heck, but mom will look less fatigued than with color and flash and the new baby's eyes won't get flashed. Smiley

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 06:17:37 AM »
Film is dead

So I keep hearing. We went to Wolf Camera yesterday to see if they had developing supplies (they don't). The old guy in charge was quick to declare that 'film is dead, I haven't shot film in close to 4 years'. When my partner went over to the DSLR case to find out if his film-era lenses would work with a Nikon D80, the same guy kept fondling his 35mm, quietly declaring its features, and repeating 'these were some sweet cameras'. We practically had to yank it out of his hands.

Film is dead for mass market and dying for people who make a living with their cameras ('cept maybe the large format and traditional process folks), but it's still chugging long on the hobby side of things.  I personally like the workflow and feel of my film cameras (especially the OM-1).  There are several companies overseas that have dedicated themselves to filling the gaps left by Kodak and Fuji.  Film won't be going away completely, but it'll probably shrink to the point that old processes such as collodian are today.  You can still buy and shoot tintypes, BTW. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 06:21:18 AM »
BTW, you may find www.apug.org interesting.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 06:46:06 AM »
A buddy, Rob Kendrick, is shooting Cowboys with Tintype

http://www.robbkendrick.com/

I gotta build him some multimedia for his site
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 06:55:25 AM »
Neat work.

There are inexpensive kits to do tintypes at home using whatever you can use to expose the plates (pinhole, old large format cameras, etc).  I've been tempted to get a kit for myself, but I've never gotten around to it. The results aren't as good as his obviously, but it looks like an easy way to try it out.

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 08:00:48 AM »

I love Wikipedia......they have EVERYTHING!!!!!.....even the stuff that's true but never had a name for....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 01:00:20 AM »
FYI...

Over at www.slickdeals.net is a walgreens coupon for one free roll of film developing.

Chris