Author Topic: where to get film developed?  (Read 8901 times)

zahc

• friend
where to get film developed?
« on: August 04, 2008, 07:55:24 AM »
Since I inherited a 35mm SLR, I've been looking for a cheap and fast place to get film developed.

Wal*mart develops 35mm for $1.70 but charges $2.50 for scanning which comes to $4.20 a roll. Add $1.50 or so for fuji 200 brings it to almost $6 a roll.

Poor as I am, I can't afford to shoot terribly much at this rate. I thought maybe I could scan my negatives with my flatbed scanner, thus saving $2,50 a roll, but either I can't or I'm not doing it right because it doesn't really give usable results. I've seen Wolf Camera stores around here but have yet to stop it to see what they charge to scan negatives.

I know you can develop black-and-white yourself and I might look into it, but I live in a tiny apartment with low WAF for things like converting bathrooms into darkrooms.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: where to get film developed?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:56:47 AM »
Cheap + fast generally is sucky processing. The min-wage sorts running 1hr photo places don't know how to set things, and can't do B&W correctly.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:06:08 AM »
Wal-Mart's "2 day" service is pretty good.  I do all of my C41 developing there.  I've taken film to photography shops, but they didn't do a significantly better job than WM and they charge a lot more.  I do avoid their 1hr service because I've had too many scratched negatives, but I've never had an issue with the longer service.  Color, contrast, etc were always what I expected.  Don't take B&W to WM though, unless it's C41 B&W film.  They do an ok job, but it's very expensive and takes forever. Pretty much any non-pro developer is going to use a machine these days. FWIW.  You're going to pay a LOT more for hand developing.

Don't try to scan negatives on a flatbed.  You won't like the results.  Prints scan nicely though.  Get the film developed to prints and scan those.  The results, if done properly, will rival any consumer level digital camera.

I still shoot about 90% film (20-30 rolls a year), but I scan it all at about 400dpi.  The negatives go offsite, the prints stored in filing cabinets, and the scans stored on the PC and server.

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:08:43 AM »
Any suggestions then, other than buying a digital camera (out of budget, I'm attached to this camera now)?

I already had walmart scratch one of my negatives.

Don't try to scan negatives on a flatbed.  You won't like the results.  Prints scan nicely though.  Get the film developed to prints and scan those.

That works OK? I mean the cheap prints are pretty small, and have already been scanned and printed once, I kinda figured you would be ahead to scan the actual film. And prints are expensive. If I remember, I haven't looked at the 2-day prices at walmart.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:08:53 AM »
BTW, the chemistry and equipment needed to develop B&W to negatives is pretty inexpensive and can be done in a bathroom (cover door and any windows with opaque sheets).  Then, you can get what is worth printing done later.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:09:47 AM »
There was one small photo store around here that would develop stuff like Ilford B&W infrared correctly, but they went away. Shame, it was actually good for some artistic sorts of things.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:10:49 AM »
BTW, the chemistry and equipment needed to develop B&W to negatives is pretty inexpensive and can be done in a bathroom (cover door and any windows with opaque sheets).  Then, you can get what is worth printing done later.

Chris

shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake

...and everything smells like fixer for days...  grin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 08:11:36 AM »
Don't try to scan negatives on a flatbed.  You won't like the results.  Prints scan nicely though.  Get the film developed to prints and scan those.

That works OK? I mean the cheap prints are pretty small, and have already been scanned and printed once, I kinda figured you would be ahead to scan the actual film. And prints are expensive. If I remember, I haven't looked at the 2-day prices at walmart.

What do you mean they've been scanned and printed once? 

Here's what I do:
I take exposed film to WM and select their 2day service with 4x6 prints.  Costs me just under $7 per roll of 36 (24 exposure rolls are even cheaper).  When I get the prints back, I scan them at 400dpi.  That's only one scan. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 08:13:52 AM »

Not all developers need that much agitation.  I'm using HC110 at dilution G IIRC and it doesn't need all that much agitation.  Maybe one rotation every 30seconds or so.  It's been a while, so I'd have to check my notes.

I love the smell of fixer. 

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »
But they make the prints you buy from them by scanning the film and using a photo printer, don't they?

I assumed that places like walmart stopped making actual optical prints long ago.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »
No.  They make prints by scanning the negative and printing onto actual photo paper with colored LEDs.  Pretty much the same as an optical print except the color adjustments are done with a computer rather than by eye.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 09:17:39 AM »
The last roll I had done was a Walgreens.  For generic processing they did an acceptable job.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 09:31:10 AM »

Chris

I think D-76 and Dektol gets in your blood...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 09:33:57 AM »
I used to develop almost all my own film when I was working at the newspaper.

I never agitated the tanks.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 09:36:19 AM »
fixer
I love that smell  grin

I was a photo tech for walgreens for awhile before switching to distribution.  Most of your walgreens stores will do a pretty good job.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »

All the Walgreens around here use Fuji equipment and seem to do a decent job of keeping things calibrated.  It that true nationwide?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »
Walgreens use a lot of Fuji, you will also see some older noritsus as well as AGFA's.  Walgreens makes a lot of photo money so they tend to keep their photo stuff in good order.  Like anything if you get a store with a manager who doesn't care about photo that can of course be different, but generally speaking Walgreens do good on photos.

If you find one thats not so good shop around, odds are you will find one thats good.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »
The last roll I had done was a Walgreens.  For generic processing they did an acceptable job.

Brad

Another vote for Walgreens.....haven't seen any bad photos from there yet.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »
I think D-76 and Dektol gets in your blood...
With me, it was Microdol-X . . . and an old Omega enlarger my Dad had . . . he was thrilled when I replaced the Wollensak Enlarging Velostigmat he'd been using with a "new" Wollensak Enlarging Raptar . . .  grin

I think Walgreens had a coupon in the Aug 3 flyer offering FREE processing, including one set of 4x6 prints . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 02:33:01 PM »
Some of the one hour photo places can be pretty bad. I used one years ago and I think the developing chemicals were worn out by the end of the day. I noticed "washout" on the prints.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »
I've worked a fair number of 1 hour labs.  One place that will remain anonymous proudly advertised "Kodak Processing".  This was a problem, because the new lab they set up used a Fuji printer and processor.  Fuji makes their equipment very simple to use by packaging chemicals for the machines.  So the company's solution to this conflict was to run it on the Fuji chemistry for everything except the last dip, which was Kodak.  Every machine I've ever used with Kodak chemistry had metal tanks.  The Fujis do not, but their chemistry is rather mild.

I do not want to describe to you what happens to a Fuji machine with Kodak chemicals in it.  Not pretty, and it made machine calibrations a PITA.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
Wal-Mart, CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid ... all the same. You have to realize that noBODY develops film these days. They stick your roll of film in a machine, the machine analyzes the negatives and sets itself to make more-or-less acceptable prints, and out come your pics. The "technician" knows less than nothing about film development and wouldn't have a clue what to do in a darkroom. The only things differentiating any of the above is the price they charge and their convenience to you. Personally, I find Wal-Mart to be as good as any of the others. They do a higher volume, so they actually have more experience ... for whatever that's worth.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 04:00:39 AM »
Quote from: zahc
I know you can develop black-and-white yourself and I might look into it, but I live in a tiny apartment with low WAF for things like converting bathrooms into darkrooms.

What does WAF mean?

As for developing at home, developing film takes a minimum of equipment and doesn't require any permanent mods to the bathroom.  Other than the very mild fixer smell (smells kind of like vinegar), you can't tell I develop in my bathroom.  The only chemicals you need are developer, fixer, and a rinse agent.  I use water for the stop bath  Rather than worry about temps, I check the temp of my chemicals and adjust my developing time to that.  They're usually in the 70-72 range anyway, so little if no adjustment is necessary.  I may have some extra gear.  If you pay shipping, I'll give it to you.

Another option is to see if your local parks and rec dept still has darkrooms.  Fairfax County in Virginia does.  Also, if you're a student, your school may have a darkroom as well.

Chris

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 05:05:07 AM »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 05:46:03 AM »
You have to realize that noBODY develops film these days. They stick your roll of film in a machine, the machine analyzes the negatives and sets itself to make more-or-less acceptable prints, and out come your pics.

Yeah but they have to actually develop the film first. That's the only step I'm worried about. I don't really care if the prints suck if my negatives turned out competently.
--Tallpine