Author Topic: Constitutionality of life sentence without parole for juvenile killers  (Read 7018 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.npr.org/2012/03/20/148538071/do-juvenile-killers-deserve-life-behind-bars?ft=1&f=1001

Interesting story on NPR as I drove into work this morning.  SCOTUS will be hearing two cases on if it is cruel and unusual punishment to sentence a 14 year old to mandatory life without parole for murder.  I would not be surprised if the Court finds that it is cruel and unusual punishment, especially in those cases where the sentence is mandatory and the circumstances of the case cannot be considered by the trial court or jury.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
So we should just kill them?   =|

Why would the circumstances not be considered?  Is that some sort of 3 strikes and your out rule?  If they do call it cruel and unusual, I would hope they don't paint too broad a brush.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Were he to get out in 5 years, I doubt he'd invent a cure for cancer.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
A prodigy is a prodigy.  Why discriminate?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

zxcvbob

• friend
1) Mandatory LWOP sentence for felony murder when the juvenile was not the triggerman is kind of harsh.  But leave it on the table as an option if it fits.

2) If he's really such a good boy, I'm sure the governor will pardon him in 10 years or so.  ;/
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
1) Mandatory LWOP sentence for felony murder when the juvenile was not the triggerman is kind of harsh.  But leave it on the table as an option if it fits.

2) If he's really such a good boy, I'm sure the governor will pardon him in 10 years or so.  ;/

There is a reason that mandatory sentences have been legislated: citizens no longer have faith in the machinations of the legal system.

Lawyers and judges ought to have picked up on that. Instead, many continue to try to evade the will of the people. Which, of course, creates further distrust and will lead to further legislation.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Even at 14, how is a death sentence or life considered to be cruel and unusual punishment for committing premeditated murder?
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

wmenorr67

• friend
Even at 14, how is a death sentence or life considered to be cruel and unusual punishment for committing premeditated murder?

It is cruel because taxpayers have to pay all of his expenses for the next 66 years if the punk lives to be 80.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• friend
There is a reason that mandatory sentences have been legislated: citizens no longer have faith in the machinations of the legal system.

Lawyers and judges ought to have picked up on that. Instead, many continue to try to evade the will of the people. Which, of course, creates further distrust and will lead to further legislation.

We have a winner.  Too many sociopaths (sawed off & full grown) let loose by softie judges & lawyers. 

Personally, I despise mandatory minimums & 3-strikes laws, but they became a necessity when our lawyer-critters started to side with the savages against decent folk.

And, despite despising them, the proof is in the pudding in that since we have locked up scum for longer terms, crime has gone way, way down.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
It is cruel because taxpayers have to pay all of his expenses for the next 66 years if the punk lives to be 80.

So what is the maximum monetary value for cost incurred before they are killed?
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Constitutionality of life sentence without parole for juvenile killers
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »

It's not.  But for tagging along clueless and your older brother or friend kills someone... there needs to be some discretion in sentencing there.

"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »
It's not.  But for tagging along clueless and your older brother or friend kills someone... there needs to be some discretion in sentencing there.

That would depend on the cooperation that the clueless is willing to give.

So what is the maximum monetary value for cost incurred before they are killed?

If it would be a death penalty for an adult then it should be a death penalty for a juvenile that should've known better.  That or bring back hard labor and chain gangs.  Imagine the money that could be saved putting these people to work rebuilding our country.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »
I've thought of something...the immaturity seen amongst most teens and even young adults nowadays, which can supposedly be seen by scanning the brain, is this a result of the brain being moldable and the fact that most kids nowadays aren't expected to be responsible about much? Basically, are teens immature because society/their parents made them so by not expecting anything from them? From what I understand, 100-150 years ago, 15-year olds were considered as fully competent adults?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 06:41:30 PM »

Ah, I see - I was unaware of this.

If it would be a death penalty for an adult then it should be a death penalty for a juvenile that should've known better.  That or bring back hard labor and chain gangs.  Imagine the money that could be saved putting these people to work rebuilding our country.

Agreed. The last number that I heard several years ago was roughly $60,000/year/inmate.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
He's the only one to blame because Mama Tried  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »
Gee, thanks.  Now I've got Merle Haggard running around in circles in my head.

"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 11:26:33 PM »
So we should just kill them?   =|

Why not?....it would be kinder than 30+ years in prison....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 03:09:06 AM »
Either-or, people.

Either you treat these individuals as fully responsible for their moral decisions (in which case you've got a whole lot of age limits to repeal. Get crackin'.) or they are not and they can't be punished as harshly.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 07:27:01 AM »
Either-or, people.

Either you treat these individuals as fully responsible for their moral decisions (in which case you've got a whole lot of age limits to repeal. Get crackin'.) or they are not and they can't be punished as harshly.

In a logical world. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 09:39:08 AM »

Ah, you'd face the same problem the Army Corps of Engineers did. Unions and local business protectionism.

I still come across stuff in the middle of nowhere built by the Army CoE, and it tends to be standing 60, 80 years later with no to minimum maintenance. Ah, that's not as common with some other builders. Hence, you'd be VERY hard pressed to slip that past the local politicians.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »
I've thought of something...the immaturity seen amongst most teens and even young adults nowadays, which can supposedly be seen by scanning the brain, is this a result of the brain being moldable and the fact that most kids nowadays aren't expected to be responsible about much? Basically, are teens immature because society/their parents made them so by not expecting anything from them? From what I understand, 100-150 years ago, 15-year olds were considered as fully competent adults?

The "teenager" is a modern invention, created by advertisers and marketing types to form their ideal customers: cash-heavy and not too sharp.

Somehow the fabled raging hormones of today's teenagers were just considered youthful passion to be dealt with--enjoyed or exploited--in earlier times.  As we know many people in history were living adult lives well before they reached what we consider "majority" today.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »

Ayup. You spend your whole life being told you're only really responsible for being a productive human being sometime around age 25 and lots of folks will believe it and make that happen.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »
The "teenager" is a modern invention, created by advertisers and marketing types to form their ideal customers: cash-heavy and not too sharp.

Somehow the fabled raging hormones of today's teenagers were just considered youthful passion to be dealt with--enjoyed or exploited--in earlier times.  As we know many people in history were living adult lives well before they reached what we consider "majority" today.

The myth that adulthood only "really" onsets at 25, or alternatively redefining "adulthood" as "the way people behave at the age of 30" serves the statist extremely well:

1. Set the standard of maturity to something most young people don't do.
2. "See, these people are not acting the way we want them to. Clearly they're immature, so they must be controlled."

Example: "Lots of college students drink lots and party hard. Clearly they're not mature enough to carry firearms on campus."

If you read the biographies of the Founding Fathers, when they were 18 they acted in many ways how modern adolescents do at age 18 - and yet they were treated as adults.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
I have met kids 17, 18, 19 years old that I would trust with my life in many sitautions.  I have met 40 year olds not mature enough to trust with the well-being of my dog.  This is why age-based rules are unfair, but there is no workable way to do it otherwise,
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »
I have met kids 17, 18, 19 years old that I would trust with my life in many sitautions.  I have met 40 year olds not mature enough to trust with the well-being of my dog.  This is why age-based rules are unfair, but there is no workable way to do it otherwise,

Aside from lowering the age limits. Doesn't theoretical manhood in Jewish customs start at 13? That being said, unless you have a culture willing to enforce that by consensus (which we sadly do not currently have) then you get .gov stepping in as we do now.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.