Author Topic: The next Obama  (Read 80591 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: The next Obama
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »
Ok, so let's define "is." Is the unborn child alive or dead? Or a vampire, perhaps?

How do you think life is defined, and can you cite sources?

Life is rather like the U.S. Constitution.  Living, breathing, subject to abortion at any time.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »
The definition of 'alive' is not a 'scientific fact', it is a method of definition, of describing facts.

And what would be the definition of "scientific fact"?

And of couse, a fetus does not have brain waves at conception, or a brain.

And that has to do with the definition of "human life" how?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »
"The definition of 'alive' is not a 'scientific fact', it is a method of definition, of describing facts."

Is that The Grand Inquisitor speaking?  Damned if it don't sound like him...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »
C'mon micro, your argument is not only weak, it is factually WRONG.

Here is what the encyclopedia has to say about the subject, for your edification.

The zygote is a  fertilized egg cell that results from the union of a female gamete (egg, or ovum) with a male gamete (sperm). In the embryonic development of humans and other animals, the zygote stage is brief and is followed by cleavage, when the single cell becomes subdivided into smaller cells.

The zygote represents the first stage in the development of a genetically unique organism.

The zygote is endowed with genes from two parents, and thus it is diploid (carrying two sets of chromosomes). The joining of haploid gametes to produce a diploid zygote is a common feature in the sexual reproduction of all organisms except bacteria.

organism

or·gan·ism

 [awr-guh-niz-uhm]
noun
1. a form of life composed of mutually interdependent parts that maintain various vital processes.
2. a form of life considered as an entity; an animal, plant, fungus, protistan, or moneran.

Now, on to the next Obama...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
I have to agree with birdman. That is the optimal path.

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
I have to agree with birdman. That is the optimal path.

I disagree. If fetus = human then there is no justifiable reason to kill him/her, aside from legitimate self defense ala ectopic pregnancy. If fetus != human then there's really no issue with terminating it, so the Democratic National Convention is totally justified in giving abortion a standing ovation.

I truly don't understand the logic there. Either it's not a human, in which case why is it a terrible thing we need to limit as much as possible, or it is a human in which case "The mother will suffer serious emotional pain" is not a reason to kill it. Unless "severe emotional pain" is a legitimate cause for use of force in self defense now.

So which is it? Is the fetus a human, and you're ok with murdering him/her if it means the mother won't need to deal with emotional trauma? Or is it not human, and you're opposed to abortion as birth control just because you like telling women what they can do with their own bodies?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »
C'mon micro, your argument is not only weak, it is factually WRONG.

Here is what the encyclopedia has to say about the subject, for your edification.

I don't think any of this refutes my argument at all.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
Unless "severe emotional pain" is a legitimate cause for use of force in self defense now.

Are you arguing you can only use force in self-defense in a situation where you are threatened with death?

This is clearly not true.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
I don't think any of this refutes my argument at all.

When the facts don't fit your predisposition, start redefining words and manipulating language,  :facepalm:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »
Afaik most use of force laws cover stopping threats to your life or the life of another, or stopping certain violent felonies in progress. None cover taking the life of another because to not do so would result in emotional trauma. None (again afaik) allow for the use of force against a helpless opponent.

What other situations should be covered under your proposal that emotional trauma is a legitimate justification for use of lethal force, and that use of force vs a helpless ie unconscious or bound enemy is justified? I'm so curious to see where this goes.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2012, 07:21:02 PM »
Obama is causing me emotional trauma  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
I disagree. If fetus = human then there is no justifiable reason to kill him/her, aside from legitimate self defense ala ectopic pregnancy. If fetus != human then there's really no issue with terminating it, so the Democratic National Convention is totally justified in giving abortion a standing ovation.

I truly don't understand the logic there. Either it's not a human, in which case why is it a terrible thing we need to limit as much as possible, or it is a human in which case "The mother will suffer serious emotional pain" is not a reason to kill it. Unless "severe emotional pain" is a legitimate cause for use of force in self defense now.

So which is it? Is the fetus a human, and you're ok with murdering him/her if it means the mother won't need to deal with emotional trauma? Or is it not human, and you're opposed to abortion as birth control just because you like telling women what they can do with their own bodies?

By the specifics of that logic, a miscarriage would be involuntary manslaughter, or if said miscarriage could be attributed to actions (everything from drug use to inadequate nutrition) then criminal endangerment. 

Just sayin, you can't have it both ways. 

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »
Deciding great moral questions via the dictionary is so much fail it hurts my head.

Sorry folks, cracking the dictionary is not going to (nor should it) convince anyone on abortion.  It's like referencing the bible to prove things to someone who isn't Christian - unless you already agree on the moral authority of the text, it's beyond silly to use it to settle a moral debate.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »
Deciding great moral questions via the dictionary is so much fail it hurts my head.

Sorry folks, cracking the dictionary is not going to (nor should it) convince anyone on abortion.  It's like referencing the bible to prove things to someone who isn't Christian - unless you already agree on the moral authority of the text, it's beyond silly to use it to settle a moral debate.

There is no deciding of moral questions via dictionary going on.

In order to have a conversation that makes any sense there has to be agreement on the definition of terms. I defined what I meant when I said life. I used the most common understanding according to modern science. The fetus is a distinct organism that by definition is "alive", in fact it is human life.  

What value you place on that life is the moral question. You are correct, dictionary and encyclopedia entries will have limited use in answering that question.

Sophistry and post modern nihilism are a much shakier foundation to base a decision on regarding this as opposed to defining terms clearly and applying the traditional (Judeo/Christian) view of a human right to life as inalienable.    

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:33:51 PM by Ron »

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »
Ron, you're using the term as a loaded one to force a decision on "the value of life" that obviously the other side doesn't agree has to be made.  Your definition does not acknowledge gradations theirs does, and that's why it won't and can't convince anyone.

FYI, I get tired of this meme that Judeo-Christian tradition is that life is inalienable - that is clearly not the case, as death was sanctioned as punishment for offences from the beginning.

On abortion, it's only relatively recent that Judeo-Christian religions have stopped sanctioning it.  So there's not much in the way of tradition there to pose as an alternative to the unworkable (and more importantly, unshared) definitions you're using.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »
If "pro-choice" people were honest, they would admit they don't know exactly when life begins.

I also know that in my Hunter Education classes, we are taught to positively identify a target before taking a shot (preferably before even aiming at it.) Unless you can positively verify that the target is not a human and is the game animal you are hunting, you don't take the shot. Even if you are "pretty sure" it's a deer, you don't take a shot on "pretty sure."

That's considered safe, ethical hunting.

It's a shame we don't have the same type of ethics about killing babies.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2012, 10:10:29 PM »
De Selby

If the newly fertilized egg is considered a distinct organism from the mother which is what modern science says is true, then there are no "graduations" of life. It "is" and it posses life. "It" is a developing human being.

The graduations are in the value of that life as determined by society. The value seems to go down the earlier in development the unborn child is found.

Own your position, don't try and escape the logical conclusions of your position through sophistry and word games.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:17:23 PM by Ron »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
When I wrote inalienable right to life I had the Declaration of Independence in my mind.

I guess I could have said inalienable right to life discovered in the Judeo/Christian tradition influenced by Greco/Roman history and thought.

That is a little clunky though.

Many in the ancient world believed the child wasn't human (had a soul) until it breathed the breath of life outside the womb. Many today would like to deny the science and go back to that archaic line of thought. We have the benefit of technology and our technology allows us to realize just how human the unborn child really is.

Our technology cannot tell us the worth of that unborn child. Some who have made a religion of science and technology often want to deconstruct man down to nothing more than a bio/chem machine. If that is all we are then the lack of value placed on the unborn may be logical, though no less barbaric.

Some of us believe that humans have a unique standing in the universe. We've been made in the image of our Creator, given rights and responsibilities. This was the worldview of those who framed our constitution and wrote the DOI.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:40:14 PM by Ron »

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »
Sorry Ron, but you're stuck in the same method there.  You're confusing your conclusory moral claims to frame the debate in a way that other people don't.  "Modern science" does not get to determine when, for the purposes of a moral prohibition, an abortion is the same as a homicide.  You are mistaking your own choice of dictionary definitions for a moral truth again.   Demanding that everyone else buy your moral characterisation of embryo development only creates an "own it!" scenario in your own mind.

This is part of why the abortion debate is so intractable.  It's hard for some people to see why the dictionary (or the bible) don't clearly settle the question, when it's never occurred to most abortion rights supporters that any sane person would rely on either book to evaluate it.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2012, 10:52:51 PM »
You are correct, it is an intractable debate.

I have nothing more to say on this (I think  :P )

There is no point in trying to unpack the load of gibberish and straw men in your post.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2012, 11:04:16 PM »
  Demanding that everyone else buy your moral characterisation of embryo development only creates an "own it!" scenario in your own mind. is what laws do.

More correcter.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:15 PM »

More correcter.

That is true - which is why people debate laws and have a rough process of obtaining consent before they're passed.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2012, 11:44:59 PM »
Given what I know of post traumatic psychology, then yes: I place more weight on the well-being of the woman than I do the unborn child

Ideally, some form of "plan B" would be available immediately for victims of rape, and they would go to the hospital and police right away. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case

And again, I'm not saying "you got pregnant from a rape, you go for an abortion". I'm saying the woman (the victim in this) should have the choice. Might she make the wrong choice? Certainly: that is always a possibility. But she is the one most likely to make the correct decision for herself.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »
That is true - which is why people debate laws and have a rough process of obtaining consent before they're passed.

And Ron was debating. So quit griping about it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »
And Ron was debating. So quit griping about it.

Where's the gripe?  I explained in logical terms why his claims weren't really arguments, and couldn't be expected to convince anyone.