Main Forums > The Roundtable

Driving on a bad cylinder

<< < (4/9) > >>

alex_trebek:

--- Quote from: cassandra and sara's daddy on April 04, 2009, 10:54:24 AM ---man i was too slow to get any licks in. i'm gonna go get in my crv with 178 k on it and go to a funeral. funny just did first repairs to that car  put in a timing belt and the distributor went bad just before that. i did brakes at 100 k. the distributor was a shock. not like a honda.

--- End quote ---

Ironically a bad distributor is Honda's reputation for their 90's era vehicles. You will get about 10-12 years out of a Honda distributor, at least on the civics and accords. It seems to be more environmental than mileage based, meaning that replacing with a used one is a bad idea. On the civics and accords it is a small 70 dollar chip ( ignition module or part of the ignition module I think) that usually corrodes out.

I think it happens because Honda pushes the limit on their distributors to get more fuel efficiency. I don't really think it is unreasonable to have to start replacing things like this after 10-12 years. Espcially when it easy and relatively cheap. 250ish for a brand new one at autozone, cheaper online.

One thing that is very important on honda's (espcially the v6's) is the kind of fuel you use. This is why I asked the OP about it.  Honda recommends only top tier fuel , and for good reason. My friends accord (2004) started mid firing when he put cheap gas (brand) in it.

I only use marathon BP or shell in my civic, and usually put in premium or mid. Research has shown that premium increases mileage and performance in small economy engines. This is partially due to the high compression ratios that Honda usually run. Just FYI

Jamisjockey:
Reread your post, I had the sides mixed up, you're probably right there afaik.

However, your cheap pot metal comment is unquantifiable unless you've got some engineering and metaluragy reports to back it up.

K Frame:
The two best cars I ever had, bar none, were legal immigrants from the land of the rising sun.

The two worst cars I ever had? Corn fed American cars.

alex_trebek:

--- Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 04, 2009, 11:58:33 AM ---The two best cars I ever had, bar none, were legal immigrants from the land of the rising sun.

The two worst cars I ever had? Corn fed American cars.

--- End quote ---

I have only owned honda's. I am sorry to say that i won't be buying a new one, unless Honda does something about their funky designs. I am mostly refering to the size of the new accord, and the two tier dash on the new civics.

One thing I have noticed is Honda owners are so spoiled that the slighest imperfection sends them into a fit. Start reading about complaints and you will see what I am talking about. The slighest little squeek and these people are up in arms. Most don't realize how good they have it. Nothing designed by man is perfect, except the 1911.  :LOL:

RocketMan:
Pot metal my rosy red posterior.  That's a silly assertion.
The only Japanese cars I've owned were 70's era machines, two Toyota Celicas and a Datsun 1200.  I can assure you they weren't "pot metal", although the Datsun could have used a little more sound deadening material in the doors.
All three ran just fine unless I buggered something up in a misguided attempt at a tune-up during my formative years.  One of the Celicas was still going strong, not burning a drop of oil, at 260,000-plus miles when I finally traded it in.
The other was taken out by an idiot left-turning college student in Mesa, AZ at about 180,000 on the clock.  Prior to that it was running fine.
I sold the Datsun to my brother before it had a lot of miles on it, but he ran it for years without difficulty.

During that period my father was an executive for Toyota and later Subaru.  He would have laughed at your assertions, ThrottleJockey.  He still would.  (He's selling his 96 Camry right now.  Better than 250,000 on the clock, replacing it with a 2006, just because he and Mom wanted something newer.
And his 86 Toyota truck is stronger than my 97 Dodge Dakota.
Anyway, enough ranting...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version