Author Topic: On This Jussie Smollett Investigation  (Read 25127 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: On This Jussie Smollett Investigation
« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2019, 09:36:38 AM »
Okay, I'm gonna weigh in here.  I've been working in the criminal justice system since 1994, at all different levels and different positions.

First, I have never heard of a prosecutor who says "case dismissed, but that doesn't mean the person isn't guilty."  Does it happen? Yeah, when witnesses crap out on you, or evidence is lacking.  But I've never seen that said out loud to the press...

Second, if a defendant is going to be offered some type of alternate resolution to criminal charges, the charges aren't dismissed until after the defendant completes the requirements of the alternate resolution.  Why?  So when the defendant fails to abide by the terms of the agreement, you don't have to start over from the beginning.

Third, I've never seen a prosecutor agree to seal a record the same day it's dismissed, and expunge it so quickly.  Especially for some type of alternate resolution, and before the terms are fulfilled.

Fourth, I've seen juvenile cases get assigned more community service for a lot lesser charges.  Hell, last case I was involved in, a 17 year old was given 40 hours for a misdemeanor criminal damaging case for egging a neighbor's shed.

I'm certain something stinks here.  Wonder if we will ever find out the rest of the story...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2019, 09:46:43 AM »
Wonder if we will ever find out the rest of the story...

I think we already know enough. He has powerful friends, and he's a precious, Trump-hating rainbow unicorn of color. Privilege is a helluva drug. Plus, we can't let Sean Hannity gloat. It hurts their precious feelz too much.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
I think we already know enough. He has powerful friends, and he's a precious, Trump-hating rainbow unicorn of color. Privilege is a helluva drug. Plus, we can't let Sean Hannity gloat. It hurts their precious feelz too much.

I'll give 'em a pass on Sean Hannity, I don't like him either.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2019, 10:02:09 AM »
Okay, I'm gonna weigh in here.  I've been working in the criminal justice system since 1994, at all different levels and different positions.

I'm certain something stinks here.  Wonder if we will ever find out the rest of the story...

Chris, when the fix is in, the fix is in.

Terry, 230RN

Pic credit in properties
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:24:03 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2019, 10:28:49 AM »
I'll give 'em a pass on Sean Hannity, I don't like him either.

Understood, but Don Lemon is worse.

DON LEMON, CNN: I have nothing but the utmost respect for my friends at ABC and other things. Robin [Roberts] did a terrific job on that interview. I'm just talking about how you respond to this sort of crisis. That doesn't really work anymore, and I think that is old school. This is playing out every single moment in cable news.

Sean Hannity's going to eat Jussie Smollett's lunch every single second. Tucker Carlson is going to eat Jussie Smollett's lunch every single second... the president of the United States is going to eat his lunch. And who does the president of the United States watch every night? Cable news. So that's all I'm saying. That's all I'm saying.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/02/21/don_lemon_tucker_carlson_sean_hannity_donald_trump_are_going_to_eat_jussie_smolletts_lunch.html

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2019, 10:59:04 AM »
BTW: The Nigerian brothers may have been "white faced" according to Smollett's lawyer because.......

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2019/03/28/smolletts-attorney-suggests-the-nigerian-brothers-may-have-been-wearing-whiteface-n2543895
   More: Now Smollett's attorney, Tina Glandian, is suggesting the Nigerian brothers may have worn "whiteface" on the night of the attack.

The police, she said, did "minimal investigation" and if they'd googled like she did, they would have found a video of them in a Joker getup. pic.twitter.com/G0AAXzol2v
    — Tom Elliott (@tomselliott) March 28, 2019

Okay, so there's a video of the Nigerian brothers dressed up like The Joker, at some time in the past, so how does this get Smollett off the hook?

What's next? Putin wrote the check?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:17:57 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »
The police did "minimal" investigation? According to the police, they devoted thousands of man-hours to the investigation. In fact, I seem to recall that a lot of people initially were highly upset about the number of detectives who were assigned to a case that, ultimately, resulted in the perp only having a few scratches and bruises when Chicago sees a LOT of serious crimes that don't get anything close to that level of attention. Why? Because Smollett was a celebrity, of course.

It's ironic that the very celebrity that caused the police to pay so much attention to the case resulted in the police paying enough attention to figure out that it was a scam. What's astonishing to me is that the loser is sticking to his story.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:51:38 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2019, 02:38:13 PM »
So according to this she never actually recused herself because when she recused herself she didn't actually mean she was recusing herself.
Do I have that straight?
Shades of Bill Clinton's "I did not have "sex" with that woman.

Wow. Foxx’s office now admitting she didn’t *actually* recuse herself from the Smollett case, legally speaking. They just used that word “colloquially,” for public consumption.
https://twitter.com/guypbenson/status/1111287817559248896/photo/1

Oh My: Kim Foxx's Office Admits She Never Actually Recused Herself From Smollett Case, Used the Term 'Colloquially'
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2019/03/28/brutal-national-association-of-district-attorneys-memo-slams-kim-foxx-on-smollett-fiasco-point-by-point-n2543902
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2019, 03:22:17 PM »
So according to this she never actually recused herself because when she recused herself she didn't actually mean she was recusing herself.
Do I have that straight?
Shades of Bill Clinton's "I did not have "sex" with that woman.

Wow. Foxx’s office now admitting she didn’t *actually* recuse herself from the Smollett case, legally speaking. They just used that word “colloquially,” for public consumption.
https://twitter.com/guypbenson/status/1111287817559248896/photo/1

Oh My: Kim Foxx's Office Admits She Never Actually Recused Herself From Smollett Case, Used the Term 'Colloquially'
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2019/03/28/brutal-national-association-of-district-attorneys-memo-slams-kim-foxx-on-smollett-fiasco-point-by-point-n2543902

So colloquially means "we can do whatever we want, and owe you no explanation at all." I never knew that.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2019, 03:25:56 PM »
Foxx's fingers were crossed at the time, so it doesn't count.

Jeez, am I the only one who remembers playground etiquette?

ETA:  how deep are Smollett's pockets?   
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jussie-smollets-attorney-demands-apology-from-mayor-police-chief-jussie-has-paid-enough
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:04:43 PM by Angel Eyes »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »
Who would investigate the prosecutor; see if she took a bribe?  (if anybody actually cares about corruption in Chicago)  The FBI?  The state police?  Illinois Bureau of Investigation?
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2019, 07:26:36 PM »
I hear the feds might be picking up the case, as well as a current ongoing investigation of him mailing a substance to himself.
This isn’t going to end well for him...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2019, 07:28:32 PM »
Another theory that I’ve heard, is that I heard is that he will turn up dead, and the perp will be an alleged white supremist.

Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2019, 07:58:21 PM »
Another theory that I’ve heard, is that I heard is that he will turn up dead, and the perp will be an alleged white supremist.

My guess is the two Nigerian dudes won't be too interested in signing on to kill him, so he's going to have to start shopping for a new accomplice/co-conspirator.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2019, 08:38:12 PM »
https://www.niagarafoundation.org/gregory-wing/
🤔
It might be time to put him on suicide watch, if he had anything to do with obama’s ‘Hotdog parties’ or the Clinton crime family.

Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #219 on: March 28, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
Can someone more versed in legalese comment on this? It looks like Foxx is in some serious hot water to me.
Follow the link in the quote for the IPBA statment

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/03/28/the-public-has-the-right-to-know-the-truth-illinois-prosecutors-bar-association-blasts-jussie-smollett-deal/

It now looks like Cook County's "deal" with Jussie Smollett isn't just strange, it might actually be in violation of Illinois law. https://t.co/7j3jnqJyO4

— Emily Zanotti (@emzanotti) March 28, 2019
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #220 on: March 28, 2019, 10:14:52 PM »
Obama’s ‘Hotdog parties’

Do I even want to know what that is?  =|

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #221 on: March 28, 2019, 11:08:56 PM »
I think that this whole affair was done to support Harris and Booker's anti lynching bill … I'm guessing he's dumb enough to have told the "White Brothers" so they have the same trump card to avoid prosecution that Smollett had.  I expect this to disappear just like the Awan family's crimes …
  =|
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2019, 11:29:51 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2019, 11:51:58 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2019/03/28/jussie-smollett-up-naacp-award-host-anthony-anderson-hopes-he-wins/3298234002/

I hope he does win.  And soon thereafter gets arrested/charged/convicted on federal terrorism charges.  (I don't have a lot of respect for the NAACP and would like to see them embarrass themselves.  I used to respect them; not sure when that changed)
"It's good, though..."