Author Topic: A Southern tradition???  (Read 6711 times)

A Southern tradition???
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2005, 09:18:22 AM »
I'd never put anything remotely like that in my yard, unless I lived next to you. Smiley

grampster

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 01:24:42 PM »
Barbara,

I see your lady is quite respectable and properly conservative.  Must be that college nearby.

El T,
Images such as Barbara has blessed you with, help keep the deer out of the flower beds and irritate the Trunkies.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Justin

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2005, 01:35:03 PM »
They are all moved in now, but they continue to park their cars on their lawn (I could see it if moving furniture or something) overnight.
Just wait.  In the spring they'll sprout cinder blocks!

/yeah, I know, late with the punch line.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

A Southern tradition???
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2005, 03:55:57 PM »
I'm still pondering living in a place where the judge wouldn't threaten to whack you in the head with a gavel if you complained about your neighbor parking his truck in his yard.

A township near here hired a firm out of Kalamazoo to draft their zoning regulations a few years ago. That was a good idea. They banned parking 3/4 ton pick up trucks in driveways. In a rural farming community. The entire township board was recalled and publicly shamed for that little stroke of genius.

After that, the township I lived in at the time hired the same firm, so I began regularly attending the planning meetings so I would know ahead of time if my shrubs were out of regulation. The guy from the consulting firm did a presentation to the committee one evening, and warned them that if they didn't fix the (mostly dirt) roads, they'd never get any industry there. To which one of committee member responded by grabbing the straps to his bibs with his thumbs and declaring if that was the case, he'd be out there at 6:00 am the next day digging bigger holes. I thought the planning guy was going to have a stroke.

grampster

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2005, 04:11:48 PM »
I actually served on our Planning Commission and helped draft the new ordinance.  Without boring you to death, what we did was plan that civilization would come, whether we wanted it or not, but try and keep the township looking as it did at the time.

I think we succeeded.  Not everybody is happy, but we still have a lot of dirt roads, no road millage, a lot of woods, water, prairie and it still looks pretty much like the 50's around here, even tho we have 3 times as many people.  We decided to let all the modern crap happen in the city of Newaygo and keep our township as rural as possible.  Makes the city happy cause they get the business tax base and we get to keep the trees.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2005, 01:32:38 AM »
Barbara, that place is called The North!:D  The North where the Yuppie Yard Nazis plot late into the night.  Dreaming of manicured lawns, fresh paint, hidden garbage cans, closed doors, quiet households, and living uptight and out of sight!

Keeping trucks out of driveways!  I would prefer they park them there rather than in the street or on their lawns.  Geez, why have a garage if you aren't going to use it for your vehicles?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

...has left the building.

A Southern tradition???
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2005, 08:24:54 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
Barbara, that place is called The North!:D  The North where the Yuppie Yard Nazis plot late into the night.  Dreaming of manicured lawns, fresh paint, hidden garbage cans, closed doors, quiet households, and living uptight and out of sight!

Keeping trucks out of driveways!  I would prefer they park them there rather than in the street or on their lawns.  Geez, why have a garage if you aren't going to use it for your vehicles?
In my subdivision, quite a few of my neighbors basically have  a living room in their garages. It must suck if you wife hates you so much that you sit in the garage to drink beer and watch TV.

El Tejon

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2005, 09:26:22 AM »
Dan, yes, but you can enjoy your sucky life in quiet !:D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Smith

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2005, 10:34:25 AM »
Wow man, just wow.  I'm surprised you're so bent out of shape about this.  It's not necessarily a "tradition" here, but it certainly is accepted, especially if you don't have the room in your driveway for another person in the household to pass.

vernal45

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2005, 12:07:17 PM »
An injunction? Against a person putting their personally owned vehicle whereever on their personally owned property they want to?
Its his lawn.  He owns the property, owns the vehicles.  You dont.  Its his Lawn, his vehicles, he can park them any damn place he wants.  Jeez.  Let people live their own way.  I can see you getting upset if he parked on YOUR lawn.  Man, sound like the gun grabbers.  He has a gun, I want to file an injuction to keep him from owning a gun.

El Tejon

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2005, 03:16:20 AM »
ver, no, he cannot.  Usufruct involves duties.  One has a duty not to create a nuisance with one's property.

It's my stereo, I cannot play it as loud as loud as I wish.  It's my trash, I cannot heap in my front yard.  It's my vehicle, I cannot jack it up on blocks and put it in my yard to negatively impact the value of homes in the neighborhood.

Everyone forgets that freedoms involves duties.  Re-committing ourselves to our duties, e.g. duty not to destroy property values, whether in our neighborhoods or in the RKBA movement would do us all very well.Cheesy

I pray nothing is necessary as his truck continues to remain off his lawn.  However, I will let no man attempt to destroy the blood, sweat and tears that I have poured into my house.

El Tejon

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2005, 03:31:25 AM »
ver, besides, I WAS upset.  It's my understanding from my neighbor that it was simply a mistake caused by a car shuffle during a holiday and a work emergency.  I cannot get upset about that specifically.

I CAN get upset at the general notion of people, at least in my neighborhood, parking in their lawns.  Hopefully the city council will take up my motion next meeting.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2005, 04:27:15 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
Have a new family in the neighborhood.  They bought the place across the street from the crazy man who used to put stuffed sharks in his window.

They are from Virginia.  They are all moved in now, but they continue to park their cars on their lawn (I could see it if moving furniture or something) overnight.  I have never seen this and find it very strange.  They have a nice big garage and a driveway that will accomodate several cars.  Why park their cars there?  Now I understand from watching CMT (that video "Hicktown") that Southerners sometimes drive their pick ups off roads and into mud, but why do it on your lawn?

I asked some people in the neighborhood and they frowned and said it was a Southern tradition.  WTH?  Some please explain?
Dude, my wife's familia is from Indiana, ya'll have just as many toothless redneck trash as the south.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2005, 04:34:38 AM »
Dude, my wife's familia is from Indiana, ya'll have just as many toothless redneck trash as the south.
All transplants from the South I'm sure.  

Chris

El Tejon

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2005, 04:52:07 AM »
Jamis, that's for certain!  You nailed it, sir.  As they say, reading, writing, and Route 31 North.

I have no problem with the immigration up here, pro-immgrant guy.  If they want to eat Moon Pies and watch NASCAR, so be it, does not hurt me in any way.  Destruction of my property does.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2005, 07:05:07 AM »
Man, that's just being wired way too tight.   Destruction of your property?  Nice stretch, much like the decline of pirates causing global warming.

Sometimes I think Shakespeare was right on the nose with Henry VI.  Sad
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2005, 09:29:57 AM »
Sometimes I think Shakespeare was right on the nose with Henry VI.
The reference escapes me. Could you be a little more specific, please?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

El Tejon

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2005, 10:21:09 AM »
Pirates?  I knew they were in on it!  Parrots too as accomplices!

Pirates, parrots, neighbors with destructive habits no one attacks my property without return fire.Cheesy

USP45usp

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2005, 01:31:53 PM »
Dang, I'm glad I live in the country, El T would have already had a heart attack if he lived near me and especially if he lived near the people across the street from me Cheesy.

Wayne

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2005, 03:24:18 PM »
Werewolf, do a Google or Wikipedia search using Shakespeare and Henry VI as search terms.  

USP45usp, I agree. In my part of rural America, we call folks like that nosey or busybodies.  They usually get what's coming to them in the end.  Wink

w turner

A Southern tradition???
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2005, 03:07:23 PM »
All this over him parking HIS truck in HIS yard?

Bwahahahahahahahahahah!   You have got to be kidding me.

If I were that guy and knew you had complained about my truck on my lawn and it resulted in any kind of inconvenience for me ............well, let's just say that there would likely be a feud not unlike the Hatfields and McCoys in intensity, even if not in actual deed.

I would probably break up the concrete comprising my driveway, cart it out and plant it with seed so that it was all lawn.  Of course, I could go the other way and pave the entire yard citing "allergies" as an excuse.  Maybe paint it an unappetizing shade of green so I could claim I was making every effort to make it look like a lawn.

Go have a beer and chill out.

W

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
Quote from: w turner
I would probably break up the concrete comprising my driveway, cart it out and plant it with seed so that it was all lawn.  Of course, I could go the other way and pave the entire yard citing "allergies" as an excuse.  Maybe paint it an unappetizing shade of green so I could claim I was making every effort to make it look like a lawn.

Go have a beer and chill out.

You must think you live in the mythical land that used to be know as America. Wake up man it's all a dream; you don't. Zoning rules in most cities  and towns be they in the south or the north would keep you from doing what you say you'd do above.

Hell - here in OKC there's a town called Nichols Hills inside OKC (it's where the rich folk live) where you can't even park a pickup truck on the driveway let alone on the lawn. Gotta be garaged or otherwise outta sight. First offense - ticketed. 2nd offense - ticketed higher fine. 3rd offense - towed. This isn't a covenant or any thing like that - it's freaking city ordinances.

Neat huh? This is Ameika after all where we can do as we please on and with our own property. Yeah - riiiiiight! cheesy
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

A Southern tradition???
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2005, 12:20:48 PM »
Hey, I just got home, and parked in my yard in honor of this thread. That and I had a lot of stuff to haul in the house. But I'm not moving it till morning just cause of this thread.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2005, 05:32:50 PM »
Might be on to something there, Barbara!

A national "Take back Amerika, park your car/truck on the lawn day", in honor of El Tejon and all the homeowners' associations out there.  Cheesy

Smith

• friend
A Southern tradition???
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2005, 01:42:17 AM »
Saturday Christmas Parties

Saturday we had two Christmas parties to attend.  When we arrived at the first (held in a prominent neighborhood) we saw that to conserve space there were two cars in the yard (and we added to the five that were lining the street).  I immediately thought of this thread.

Later, we went to my sister-in-law's (who lives in a very rural area and was having a party with ~100 guests) and immediately found a good spot in the yard to park.  EVERYONE parked in the yard, as there were many cars there that night.  Again, I thought of this thread and wished El Tejon would chill out.