Author Topic: Anyone have Open-Heart surgery - specifically valve replacement?  (Read 15354 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Anyone have Open-Heart surgery - specifically valve replacement?
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2010, 06:06:49 PM »
Glad to hear you made it through OK.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

P5 Guy

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2010, 09:57:20 PM »
Five years ago I needed to have two valves repaired/replaced. The Doc fixed the Aorta's valve and put in a prosthetic Mytial (sp?) valve. They say you will get used to the clicking. HA! It is like having one of those old Baby Ben alarm clock on your chest.
The Doc wired me for a Pace Maker just in case. Taking the wires out was the first time I have ever cursed a nurse. Pulling them hurts. Taking out the chest drains wasn't a picnic either, and the IV in my neck made was uncomfortable. I sleep on the side thy used.
Bayfront, the hospital I was in, was remodeling the ORs and I had the surgery in All Children's. Recovery and ICu are decorated with cartoon characters. That was a little strange opon opening my eyes?!?
All in all the improvement to my stamina is worth the couple of weeks of pain.
Try to get the home test for your INR. Blood thinner is counteracted by Green Leafy vegetables. Boy I did love greens. I think that is the worst from all this.
Speedy Recovery to you P5   

myrockfight

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »
P5,

You aren't going to believe this, but I live in the exact same town you do! How old were you when they worked on you at All Children's? I thought they only worked on kids.

Luckily, I am not going to have to take blood thinners! That made my day. Going to Cleveland Clinic was definitely worth it. The surgeon at St. Antony's didn't even give me an option of getting a repair. He just said that I had to get a replacement and would like to do it the next day if he could.

I now understand that the procedure that a doctor recommends is dictated by the limitations of the abilities of his experience/education. The doctor up here at CC has done a lot of repairs, as well as replacements and tissue grafts. So he basically had a full toolbox to work with. THAT is the biggest issue if you are going to pick out a doctor to do a procedure.

I got really, really, lucky all the way around. OK. Getting tired again. Plus they are going to pick me up for an echocardiogram. Until later!  =)

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 08:14:02 PM »
You from Ohio, myrockfight?? 

myrockfight

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2010, 01:11:34 AM »
You from Ohio, myrockfight??  
No. My Mom's side of the family is up here in NE Ohio. When my parents divorced I live up here from 3-14 years of age.

So the recovery is going alright. I'm up and walking around and what not. I had a rough go of it for a few days. Hurt like hell to breathe. It was like a board of nails was fixed to the inside of my ribs and the deeper breath I took, the deeper the nails went into my lungs. It got so bad that my diaphram was spasming from the pain and I was barely breathing for 10-15 minutes at a time until I could get control of my muscles to stop locking up. So that kinda sucked. Had a couple days of those episodes. But I had the same problem when I was in the hospital last June after the roof collapsed on my truck and broke 5 vertebrae. I knew it would stop eventually, but it was one of those things where you just get through it an hour at a time knowing it can't last forever. Thankfully, the spasms this time didn't last as long as when I flipped my truck. That was easily the roughest four days I've ever experienced.

Post op was absolutely horrible. When I woke up, I was completely paralyzed, but hear everything. I couldn't even open my eyes. That was a freaky experience. Then they didn't want to extract the intebation (sp?) tube because of how much fluid I was leaking out of my torso. Sooooo....they left the damn thing in for three EFFING hours until the fluid leakage stopped. I think I ended up spasming the next couple of days because I kept trying to breathe against tube. That hurt like all get out after an hour. About an hour and a half in, I figured I was either going to pull the damn thing out or figure out how to stop the involutary breathing instinct. After thinking a sec about how sword swallowers get their esophagus to open up, I tilted my chin up and was finally able to get the smallest amount of air past the tube to keep my diaphram satisfied. Ironically, the nurse said I was the best patient they ever had go for any period of time with the tube in while they were awake. Fortunately for her, I was still too weak from the medication to get up and strangle her. Ugh.

My heart rate is higher than I thought it would be. It is running between 95 and 115 bpm resting. I'll post pictures of the scars when I can. I'm sure I can get them from my phone onto here somehow.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:14:47 AM by myrockfight »

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »
Glad you are doing ok.  I thought I was going to have to have a valve repaired/replaced, but after several echos, and a stress test, they determined the valve was a bit undersized and not damaged.  I thank my lucky stars I have been a gym rat for the last 20 years or so.  My FIL had two hip joints replaced, he broke the first one, at one of the Cleveland Clinics.  He thinks they are a first class operation.....chris3

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »
Glad you made it through.  Good luck with the recovery!