Author Topic: Garage Beer  (Read 1637 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Garage Beer
« on: October 09, 2022, 08:27:03 PM »
Heh - Found a new local pub has six-pack buckets of Hamm's Beer...

12 grams of carbs per can, but...

6 cans in the bucket for  $7.

Damn, I gotta find a different diet.

https://www.hamms.com/

(actually drank some in kollidge - decent garage beer)

Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Garage Beer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 08:30:09 PM »
Good stuff.  Hamm's is my favorite cheap beer, and it's pretty common here.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 11:26:44 PM »
Good stuff.  Hamm's is my favorite cheap beer, and it's pretty common here.
I remember watching the Hamm's Beer Bear commercials on TV during White Sox games in Chicago.

Hamm's used to cost $3.99/case of 24 cans back in the '70s . . . it doesn't now. I regarded it as being the only cheap beer that was drinkable.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 06:59:54 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 07:27:17 AM »
Back when I was working for American Rifleman I'd head to Camp Perry to cover the national matches.

We got rooms at what I guess was VOQ housing, which had a kitchenette and fridge.

I bought myself a 12 of Hamms to have on the porch after the day's events.

I pride myself on being able to drink most beer if it's cold enough.

I had ice floating in my Hamm's and I still couldn't drink that *expletive deleted*it. It was awful.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 08:25:36 AM »
Don't think I ever heard of it before. At least I don't recall ever seeing it in the Louisville area.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 08:29:41 AM »
I can't even remember if I've ever tried it or not. If I did, it was probably back in High School in the late 70s when the Hamm's commercials were all over the tv. I can't even remember the last time I saw it in a store.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 08:52:30 AM »
You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a case of Hamm's in Wisconsin.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 08:56:48 AM »
Hamms is in the KC region, but it is not a popular brand.  Think I've tired it?  But my go to for cheap beer is PBR.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 08:58:46 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 09:00:32 AM »
Don't think I ever heard of it before. At least I don't recall ever seeing it in the Louisville area.

Just checked Liquor Barn's website and they have it. So it's sold here.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 09:08:35 AM »
Overall, for cheap beer, I prefer Natty Light...

However, six beers iced in a pub bucket for $7 ain't a bad concept, and they have a good jalapeno quesedilla...
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2022, 10:12:13 AM »
Hamms was right up there with Schlitz and Primo for the nastiest beer served at battalion and company parties when I was in the service.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2022, 11:25:01 AM »
Bud Light, Coors Light, or Miller Light, in that order of preference. Not terribly picky, though. I'll drink just about anything that's cold, especially if someone else is providing it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2022, 11:28:20 AM »
I actually don't drink beer much any more, something happened after Covid and it really fills me up after a beer or two. So, I just take my glass of whisky and soda out to the garage (or Rum, Tequila, or Vodka). I've been drinking a lot of ranch water lately, Tequila, lime juice, and soda water.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2022, 03:06:16 PM »
Back in my college days (a few decades ago), the "cheap" beer to be had was called "Red, White, & Blue".  Back then, my preferences ran towards Schlitz Malt Liquor (the "Bull"), Copenhagen beer (both Light [color] and Dark), and their Elephant Malt Liquor.
Now, a 24-30 can "suitcase" can last me two summers.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2022, 03:11:37 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2022, 04:00:42 PM »
Cheap beers fall into one of two categories for me: Foul, and inoffensive.

My go-to cheap beer is Natty Ice.  It pretty much just tastes like soda water to me.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2022, 04:17:13 PM »
Cheap beers fall into one of two categories for me: Foul, and inoffensive.

That's about the same for me. Either it's piss water that I can't stand, or else it's lawnmower beer that just tastes like "beer" and hits the spot on a hot day.

I'm not sure where on the scale it falls, but mine is MGD.

As far as piss water, I have also tasted plenty of high dollar microbrew beers that fall into that category.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2022, 04:24:20 PM »
For a "cheap" beer that's pretty darn good I like Lost Lake Amber.

https://lostlakebeer.com/?age-verified=9347f3734c
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2022, 04:25:18 PM »
PBR, Corona, and Dos Equis are my go-to summer beers.  I won't turn my nose up at anyone else's Bud/Coors/MGD though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2022, 06:47:25 PM »
I just bought a 30-pack of Hamms for $17 plus tax.  Natty and Busch were more expensive but I don't remember how much
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2022, 06:57:42 PM »
I just bought a 30-pack of Hamms for $17 plus tax.  Natty and Busch were more expensive but I don't remember how much

I am REALLY sorry to hear that...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2022, 07:02:10 PM »
Oh, another reason I like many of the "lawnmower beers" is that besides tasting just fine, they are a low ABV. I am getting sick and tired of all the craft brewers big and small trying to see how high of an ABV beer they can make.

If I want a high alcohol content, I'll grab the whiskey bottle. If I want something refreshing on a hot Summer day, I'd like to not have one bottle of it put me on my ass.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2022, 10:53:55 PM »
My "cheap" beer today is Yuengling - $19.99/case of 24 bottles at Wally Mart. I don't recall seeing Hamm's locally.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain