Author Topic: Poor in America  (Read 7956 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Poor in America
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:18:11 PM »
A long, but interesting read.

One of my pet peeves is the American definition of "poor". Partly because of stories I've heard all my life from my parents and their friends of that generation growing up pre and during WW2 in Europe. None of them seemed to think they were really "poor". It was more like, they just didn't have luxuries that rich people had. They had food, a roof, and clothes, and while sure, they would have loved to have a car or be able to afford stuff like bananas and oranges, they weren't worried about where their next meal was coming  from (except during the last and worst years of the war, another story), so things were alright.

When I get in these discussions with liberals, I always like to define actual poverty as, "Will I eat today? Where is my next meal coming from?" If you don't have to ask that question, like so many in the Third World do, you're not really poor - you just don't have luxuries. Some of the comparison charts on "owned ammenities" in the article between poor and "average" Americans are rather interesting.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/07/what-is-poverty
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Poor in America
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
Poor in America

...is having to drive a car more than five years old  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 02:32:34 PM »

THE HORROR
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »
I once had a car that was only 9 years old. I think that's "newest" one so far.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »
For several years, I drove a car that eas not only older than most of the cars in the 'impoverished' neighborhoods, but also nettrr maintained than most.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 04:47:26 PM »
?: How many men would the Pharoah have sent to their deaths to obtain an item as powerful as an obamaphone?
A: All of them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »

I'm triple poor!!!
7-11 was a part time job.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »
My truck is 7 years old. Does that make me poor, too?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
Work truck. 88 jeep 99 car we ditched last year 88. New car is an 09.
Prior to that we had a 90 and a 74

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
I have a 2013, a 95, and a 94.  Am I poor?, I'm really confused now!    :lol:

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »
I have a 2013, a 95, and a 94.  Am I poor?, I'm really confused now!    :lol:

You should probably check your privilege for the answer.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »
Hearing my dad tell stories of walking to and from school along the train tracks in the winter looking for lumps of coal to help heat their home, delivering newspapers, groceries, and finding/doing whatever odd jobs they could as 7, 8, 9 year-olds to bring in money for the family.

My mom selling and delivering eggs at 6 years old.  Her big adventure, was every so often, getting to ride the horse into town with her brothers and sisters.  My grandmother taking in other people's laundry, making quilts and afghans to sell, while grandpa farmed and worked at the town general store.

Neither have ever said they were "poor" growing up in the depression.  (Dad was born in 1924, Mom in 1928).  Since everyone around them was mostly in the same boat.   (Dad's family was a little worse off then others, as his father died when he was 3 years old.)   But they recall that they gave to charities "To help the poor people and those worse off then themselves".   

We have the richest poor people in the world, and have destroyed not only the family, but the incentive to work.

http://dailysignal.com/2014/09/16/war-poverty-colossal-flop/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »
I tried to touch one of these arguments/debates on FB along with CSD, and was derailed by some completely ludicrous arguments that hurt my head to even read.  But in this case, I agree with the OP, and most of the comments here :)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 10:29:16 AM »
I'm triple poor!!!

Our four vehicles added together are almost 100 years old  :lol:

The newest is a 2006 and it is very near the worst  of the lot  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out what American town this image is from

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out what American town this image is from

Bingo. On many levels. I'm guessing if someone offered him a bowl of rice in one hand, and an Obamaphone in the other, he'd take the rice. Yet another way to identify someone living in actual poverty.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »
http://water.org/water-crisis/water-facts/water/

Just water alone tells the tale.  To be able to get clean tap water from almost any faucet in America says a lot about "poverty" in this country. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »

Bingo. On many levels. I'm guessing if someone offered him a bowl of rice in one hand, and an Obamaphone in the other, he'd take the rice. Yet another way to identify someone living in actual poverty.

Back when Mom was substitute teaching she was doing a long term substitution (for like a couple of weeks) in a high school class.

There was a black girl in there. Her mom had brought her the latest high dollar shoes (because we all know having pricey kicks is the most important thing in life) yet this girl had nothing to eat (her mom would only occasionally bring her some fast food home, when she remembered). *expletive deleted*ing worthless parent.

The girl, being far smarter than her mother and not caring about fancy shoes but really wanting something to eat at home, was able to find the receipt for the shoes and take them back to the store, and with the $200 brought herself some food because Mommy Dearest did not understand the concept of finances.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:20:56 AM by Boomhauer »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »
How is this for welfare mentallity:

There a subdivision on tribal land that gets city water from Lodge Grass, MT.  When the tribal authority got an injunction to keep the city from turning off water to individual homes whose residents are in arrears on water payments, the city shut off the water to the entire subdivision.  :P

Much moaning and groaning ensues ......

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 12:51:03 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »
And in a lot of areas of the world someone who is hungry would be damned happy to have the rice and a little protein, or they'd take the phone and sell it for food.

There are a lot of poor here that are hungry but would turn down the bowl of rice, choose the obamaphone, and then use it to log onto facebook and bitch about being hungry and/or offered nothing "better" than a bowl of rice  :facepalm:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 01:03:18 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Taking the actual items out of the equation, or selling the phone to buy more food, I guess my point was that the items represent necessity and luxury. If a "poor" person is offered a necessity and a luxury*, and they choose the luxury, I have to wonder about how desperate they actually are.  I can see what you were probably getting at regarding the psychology of the situation and how it may relate to what Lupinus mentioned about America's "poor".

*As in the old saw about the thirsty man in the desert. Would he take a canteen of water or a handful of diamonds?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
A phone may be a convenience, but it is not necessarily a luxury. It may have plenty of practical uses for the kid's parents, maybe even worth skipping a meal.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 06:11:13 PM »
if you are poor in America, really poor, then most likely it is the result of choices you have made.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
if you are poor in America, really poor, then most likely it is the result of choices you have made.

It can also be that you're just not very bright.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.