Author Topic: Poor in America  (Read 7960 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Poor in America
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
I knew a guy 25 or 26 who didn't know how to put oil in his car. He had a car paid for that needed 300 bucks of work. Instead he got a new used one with a 400 dollar payment, one that he didn't even know the interest  rate on. With his fathers help and advice. Repoed in 1 year. Big selling point? "It has a system man!"
The car he sold rather than work on? For 800 bucks? It's still running 4 years later. It was a Toyota corolla with 100 k on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Just needs to be a really good massage  =)

Preferably in the shower.  OTOH, if she wants me to work on an automatic transmission, that's going to take things that most hookers won't do.

Hell it's not like an older car breaks down all the time, though. Keep up on the PMs and treat the car right, and yeah you'll have to get some stuff repaired every so often, but for the most part it should be fairly reliable. Beats the HELL out of a huge car payment every month.

Mine's got a long "to do" list of non-critical stuff, (motor mount rubber is all shot, same for sway bar bushings, and one of the front brake rotors is a bit warped) but yeah, other than dumping in a quart of oil every thousand miles and pulling out a splash guard that was coming loose, I haven't done any real repairs to it in a couple of months.

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
Hell it's not like an older car breaks down all the time, though. Keep up on the PMs and treat the car right, and yeah you'll have to get some stuff repaired every so often, but for the most part it should be fairly reliable. Beats the HELL out of a huge car payment every month.

Regular maintenance on a car definitely beats a monthly payment, but going in to the mechanic's as a girl SUCKS. It gets really frustrating to be quoted almost double the repair price as when you send your guy friend in with the same. freaking. car.

That adds up enough cash and frustration that a new car can look like the better option.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »
I'm not sure the mechanics are any better with most men now  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »
Regular maintenance on a car definitely beats a monthly payment, but going in to the mechanic's as a girl SUCKS. It gets really frustrating to be quoted almost double the repair price as when you send your guy friend in with the same. freaking. car.

Maybe your friend just seemed..."friendlier."

• friends
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »
I'm not sure the mechanics are any better with most men now  =(

Yea that's why it's important to cultivate a relationship with a good shop if you can't do work yourself. And to own a code reader either way

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2014, 01:50:41 PM »
I knew a guy 25 or 26 who didn't know how to put oil in his car. He had a car paid for that needed 300 bucks of work. Instead he got a new used one with a 400 dollar payment, one that he didn't even know the interest  rate on. With his fathers help and advice. Repoed in 1 year. Big selling point? "It has a system man!"
The car he sold rather than work on? For 800 bucks? It's still running 4 years later. It was a Toyota corolla with 100 k on it.

Hell, he had just broken it in. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »
No crap. I got it at 15 years old with 60 k on it. Literally garage kept dealer serviced with the paperwork. I traded to him for painting 20 windows and doors on my house with 85 k on it with new michelins  and a new timing belt on it. He was getting ready to have a kid and needed a car and I had too many. I'd have paid him a grand for it if he'd told me he was selling it. His decision making is always with his fathers advice so stupid is apparently genetic

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
Hell, he had just broken it in. 

My 1997 Saturn passed the 280k mark sometime in the last couple of weeks.  I'm almost afraid to fix too much on it, since it seems like I barely get one up to the "I don't care at all about the remaining minor issues" point and then either the engine seizes, the transmission shells out, or it gets totaled.  I know the subframe is tweaked a bit, but some careful driveway alignment adjustments have it tracking straight and the front tires wearing a lot slower than the rear ones.  (Rear desperately needs a suspension overhaul to straighten out the camber, but new tires are $43 each at the fastest/dirtiest/friendliest local shop, and they always seem to have at least a pair in stock, so it's hard to get as motivated as when I had the Blazer with aftermarket wheels and tires that were $140 each for the store brands.)  It pulls a bit on hard braking, (no ABS) but some of that may be from the warped rotor effectively "pulsing" that wheel.

I'd like to fix the air conditioner, but that's $400 or so in parts I hate to spend just to see my mileage go from 36-38.6MPG (depending on how recently I've done a piston soak and throttle/intake cleanup - the 38.6 will hold for about 1000-1500 miles after the cleaning and then start dropping off until it's around 36 again) to somewhere in the low 30s at best all summer long.  Same for the sunroof mounts; prop it open with a bottle for some air, or take the screws out and put the glass in the trunk for wide open, rather than buying a $200 set of machined metal rails to replace the rotted plastic ones.  It's not that hard to take an extra change of clothes and some wet wipes along when I'm going to be driving for a couple hours and need to be presentable at the end of the trip.