Author Topic: So, churches won't be forced to do gay weddings?  (Read 29622 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: So, churches won't be forced to do gay weddings?
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2008, 02:57:42 PM »
So as long as your "freedoms" are intact it's ok to crap all over the freedoms of others? US citizens just like yourself? Honest hard working people? See that's why there are "laws". To limit how far a person can take an attitude like that. I didn't invent laws, don't blame me. I had nothing to do with the laws in NM.

"Here's how it is",,, that's rich...  laugh

For any further discussion on the subject please refer to my youtube link posted earlier. You're a day late and a dollar short.  rolleyes
Avoid cliches like the plague!

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »
So as long as your "freedoms" are intact it's ok to crap all over the freedoms of others?
You keep trotting out this same ridiculous argument, that refusing to enter a business transaction with someone is somehow a violation of their rights. It ain't so.
D. R. ZINN

mek42

« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2008, 04:24:18 PM »
Alright, someone lay down a logical case for abolishing the anti discrimination laws. This I gotta hear...

I laid it out in the very first post.  "No private party should ever be forced to serve everyone who darkens their door, for any reason.  It's legislating morality, in violation of basic human rights; pure and simple."  I and others have expanded on that throughout this thread.  But you insist that your moral view should be forced on everyone, violating their rights of property and association. 

Here's how it is, 280.  You don't have a right to enter another person's property.  You don't have a right to make someone sell you something; be it a product, service, or otherwise.  You don't have a right to work any place you want to.  Neither white people, nor Black people, nor Christian people, nor homosexual people, nor anyone else has such rights. 

Like I said, this isn't about religion or homosexuality.  This is about freedom. 

And finally, you can stop patting your back about how "cool" you are with the lesbians.  Do you know why?  Because I'm even cooler than you.  Do you know how cool I am?  Unlike you, I have firm moral convictions about homosexuality.  But that's not the cool part.  The cool part is that, despite my moral convictions, I can work with lesbians, too.  Heck, I can even work with racists, and I don't like that sort of thing either.

The cool thing, is that I can understand the differences between two things.  So I know that business transactions aren't usually a form of moral approval.  I also know the difference between fixing someone's leaky faucet, and taking photos of their homosexual wedding-type-thingy.  I also know the difference between my moral obligation to treat persons of different races equally, and my legal right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, even if that reason is race or sexual orientation. 

Y'all are both right.  And the two correctnesses have a pretty big area of overlap.

I am reminded of the stories from the civil rights era when studies were done where black soldiers would be told that no housing was available in a given area but that same white soldiers were shown several places of residence to choose from.

280plus says that he doesn't want to go back to that sort of thing.  I agree.

Fistful says that, as a businessman, he shouldn't be told by the gov't who his clients will be.  I agree with this too.

I believe that when the liberty of the individual comes into conflict with the liberty of the corporate entity that the liberty of the individual should come first.

Writing this post I keep having thoughts relating to this decision being proper and consistent with current NM law, but this thread isn't about that, it (this thread) is about the properness of the NM law.

I think that such laws are unfortunately necessary to preserve the freedom and liberty of individuals.  Is this at the expense of corporate entities?  Yes.  But said entities have demonstrated time and time again that these laws are indeed needed to prevent the excesses seen in the civil rights era.  Common decency shouldn't need to be legislated, but then again, a case at SCOTUS regarding 2A as an individual right shouldn't be needed either.

So as long as your "freedoms" are intact it's ok to crap all over the freedoms of others?
You keep trotting out this same ridiculous argument, that refusing to enter a business transaction with someone is somehow a violation of their rights. It ain't so.

So if every single business decided to stop having business transactions with you for reasons unrelated to the business transaction you would be supportive of this and happily starve to death naked on the street?

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2008, 05:01:55 PM »
So if every single business decided to stop having business transactions with you for reasons unrelated to the business transaction you would be supportive of this and happily starve to death naked on the street?
This scenario is so beyond the pale that it doesn't even deserve an answer.
D. R. ZINN

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »
So as long as your "freedoms" are intact it's ok to crap all over the freedoms of others? US citizens just like yourself? Honest hard working people? See that's why there are "laws". To limit how far a person can take an attitude like that. I didn't invent laws, don't blame me. I had nothing to do with the laws in NM.

At what point did I grant myself any more "freedom" than anyone else?  The Black businessman has every right to turn me away due to skin color.  The homosexual has every right to refuse me a job in his pizza shop, due to sexual orientation.  That is freedom.  I do not, nor do I ever expect to, own a business.  Yet I still have the right (even under current law) to keep my property off limits to those of other races or religions, or what have you.  The fact that others use their property to operate a business should not detract from their having equal rights with me. 

And just so we're clear, I do not think it's "ok" to practice racial discrimination.  (Nor would I bar someone from my business, simply because of their religion or homosexuality.)  But neither is it ok to take away the rights of the racist, or of someone with moral convictions.  Unlike you, I am not trying to use law to "limit attitudes."  What a statist notion.  I don't blame you so much as I blame the intellectual laziness that has led most Americans to think that "my rights" include a right to force others to do business with me.  As Bridgewalker said, laws are there to keep one person from infringing on another's rights.  But the laws you are defending are destructive of rights and freedom. 

What's rich is your attempt to ride a moral high-horse, as if you were the defender of freedom here, and as if we were all promoting bigotry. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2008, 08:21:24 PM »
I believe that when the liberty of the individual comes into conflict with the liberty of the corporate entity that the liberty of the individual should come first.

I think that such laws are unfortunately necessary to preserve the freedom and liberty of individuals.  Is this at the expense of corporate entities?  Yes.  But said entities have demonstrated time and time again that these laws are indeed needed to prevent the excesses seen in the civil rights era.  Common decency shouldn't need to be legislated, but then again, a case at SCOTUS regarding 2A as an individual right shouldn't be needed either.

Firstly, rights NEVER conflict.  If you find your rights conflicting with mine, then one of us is claiming a right that doesn't truly belong to us.  So we don't need to worry about balancing one right against another. 

Secondly, "corporate entity" is an interesting choice of words, when you are referring to a husband and wife photography business.  Are they not individuals with rights?  Or do you assume they are incorporated and have thereby waived some right?

Thirdly, there is no need, legally, to prevent discrimination by private parties.  This is because, as I've stated ad naseum, no one's rights are infringed by discrimination in private business transactions.  Enforcing "common decency" by law is another way of saying "legislate morality."  As one of those scary, conservative Evangelicals, I've been told time and again that that is a no-no. 

Wrong question.  No one's claiming we should be happy about that sort of discrimination.  The question is whether his rights would be infringed, and the answer is "No." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2008, 03:42:23 AM »
Can you explain to me what freedoms are being crapped on by an individual proprietor refusing to accept a couple's money?  How is a photographer declining to do business with these ladies trampling on their freedom?  Where did you first hear about this alleged freedom to force work on someone who doesn't want to do business with you?  Or  is "freedom" newspeak for "slavery"?