Author Topic: Wireless range extension  (Read 1609 times)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Wireless range extension
« on: July 11, 2005, 10:43:40 AM »
Is it possible to plug a wireless router/AP to another wireless router/AP via a cat-5 cable in order to extend the range of an existing wireless network?

My friend wants to be able to get internet access on his laptop while outside smoking cigars. The laptop uses a wireless G NIC and currently the signal he is getting is about 50% from his D-link wireless G router/AP but only if he is close to his house. The location of the d-link is good for him because he gets a strong signal no matter where he is in his house. He asked me if running a cat-5 cable to a room at the back of his house and plugging it into a another router/AP will allow him to extend his range. I thought it might work but was not certain. Anybody here ever tried it before? Also, security wise he plans on locking access down by MAC addresses.

Plan:

Cable Modem.....D-link router/AP.....................................................................Linksys Router/AP(gets ip from D-link or static)++++++++++++++++friends laptop(gets ip from linksys)

Key
......cat-5 cable
+++wireless
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Wireless range extension
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 11:10:04 AM »
it is also possible to configure a second wireless hub as a bridge to the first hub

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Sections-article36-page7.php
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Wireless range extension
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 11:30:22 AM »
Yep, configure the second to be an access point.  There should be an option somewhere that allows you to do so.  

It is also handy if you want to run a 11b and 54g router at the same time, just run one as an access point.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Wireless range extension
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 11:47:31 AM »
Thank all for the info and also advice about the MACs. Real eye opener after a little research.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!