Author Topic: Our friend Canis Lupus  (Read 4248 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Our friend Canis Lupus
« on: December 16, 2007, 12:19:40 AM »
Wolves kill 2 dogs in Anchorage-area attacks

By JAMES HALPIN
jhalpin@adn.com

Published: December 12, 2007
Last Modified: December 12, 2007 at 04:25 PM

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/wolves/story/9514718p-9424671c.html

The attack was fast and surprisingly silent. Before Lisa Hubert knew what was happening, her dog, Buddy, had disappeared into the pitch-black night with barely a sound.

She walked into the woods a bit to find Buddy but couldn't. Hubert and her husband, Kim, returned the next morning and found their dog's head and collar about 50 yards off the road.

Be sure to read the comments.  Some are entertaining.

Other packs are feeding on dogs up around Fairbanks.

I've already decided to give my family in the Lower 48 wolf ruff parkas for Christmas. Now I just have to convince my mom to let me borrow her bait... I mean dachshunds.  grin

(Just kidding, I love my litter mates.)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Our friend Canis Lupus
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 03:49:08 AM »
Never stand between a hungry wolf and food.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »
Up in Fairbanks the wolves are (primarily) going into yards at night and taking dogs off chains.

The attacks around Anchorage are classic "dog fishing".

Dog out walking with stupid human who thinks "leashes are mean/unnecessary".  "Bait" wolf walks into plain view, unleashed dog takes off after it, ignoring the owner's calls.  How's that, "Oh, he's under "voice command" working out now stupid human?

Dog is led into the brush by the bait wolf, right into the jaws of the rest of the pack.  Dog becomes cannibalized cousin.

Stupid human cries for pity, as they "loved their dog" and they "did everything possible" to keep it safe.

The first may be true, but the second is not.  They "did everything convenient" to keep their dog safe.

Use a leash moron.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 12:34:10 PM »
Maybe a few Irish Wolfhounds would be helpful?
http://www.irishwolfhounds.org/about.htm
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 01:02:31 PM »

I wouldn't bet on any single dog versus any single wolf in a fight.  There's a difference between hunting dogs chasing a wolf or wolves off and/or bringing them to groundfor a human to do the kill and a fight to the death.

Many of the dogs killed in Fairbanks by single wolves are Malamutes which give up nothing to the wolves in terms of size or aggressiveness.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 03:55:25 PM »
Up in Fairbanks the wolves are (primarily) going into yards at night and taking dogs off chains.

The attacks around Anchorage are classic "dog fishing".

Dog out walking with stupid human who thinks "leashes are mean/unnecessary".  "Bait" wolf walks into plain view, unleashed dog takes off after it, ignoring the owner's calls.  How's that, "Oh, he's under "voice command" working out now stupid human?

Dog is led into the brush by the bait wolf, right into the jaws of the rest of the pack.  Dog becomes cannibalized cousin.

Stupid human cries for pity, as they "loved their dog" and they "did everything possible" to keep it safe.

The first may be true, but the second is not.  They "did everything convenient" to keep their dog safe.

Use a leash moron.

I debated a guy at THR who though the had absolute command of his wuvely wittle dawggie out past 100 feet.  I tried to reason with the guy, but should have just left it at "Use a leash moron."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:27:16 AM »

I wouldn't bet on any single dog versus any single wolf in a fight.  There's a difference between hunting dogs chasing a wolf or wolves off and/or bringing them to groundfor a human to do the kill and a fight to the death.

Many of the dogs killed in Fairbanks by single wolves are Malamutes which give up nothing to the wolves in terms of size or aggressiveness.

Nope. A pit bull is pound for pound a better fighting animal (against dogs) than a wolf. But (pound for pound) one wolf equals two pit bulls. If you want your dogs to have an effective fighting chance against wolves, you'd better have large dogs, three or four of them, and they'd darn well better stay in your yard.

Now regarding wolves going into yards...this is a VERY bad thing for the wolf population as a whole. The Alaska DNR needs to ruthlessly cull any wolves who become too familiar with humans.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 08:04:43 AM »
When I lived at Chugiak, I had some nearby friends who had a Wolf-Malemute cross.  He was a huge and beautiful animal, very protective of his family and property, but very nice to people who got to know him (like me).  I house-sat their place one time while they went "outside" for a few weeks at Xmas.

That was the only "wolf" that I ever saw up there.  It seems things are changing now ...  shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:14:31 AM »
Why are the wolves preying on dogs?  Is there a lack of natural prey for them?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 08:17:51 AM »
I'm guessing it's for the same reasons humans eat McDonald's. Easy, convenient and pisses off wolf nutritionists.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:03:18 AM »
When I lived at Chugiak, I had some nearby friends who had a Wolf-Malemute cross.  He was a huge and beautiful animal, very protective of his family and property, but very nice to people who got to know him (like me).  I house-sat their place one time while they went "outside" for a few weeks at Xmas.

That was the only "wolf" that I ever saw up there.  It seems things are changing now ...  shocked

my neighbor has a similar beast in his house. what a beautiful animal. the only problem is, my daughter plays with his, and i have issues with her being around an animal that is only one generation away from being wild.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 10:09:17 AM »

As was posted, dogs/cats/pets are stupid and weak, an easy meal.

We haven't had any snow this year so the moose, which are NOT scarce, can run away easier and fight better.  Similarly the rabbits and such.

There's no shortage of food, there's a shortage of the usual easy food.

Plus trapping has really gone down locally (too many off-leash pets getting caught and too many hippies building houses in the woods) so the wolves are losing their normal fear of man.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 11:38:32 AM »
my neighbor has a similar beast in his house. what a beautiful animal. the only problem is, my daughter plays with his, and i have issues with her being around an animal that is only one generation away from being wild.

We also had a couple of wolf-hybrids when our girls were little, and there was never a problem.  Even before the girls could walk, they would scoop handfuls of food out of the dogs' buckets and let them eat right out of their hands.

Our daughters could actually sort of truthfully say that they were "raised by wolves"  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 06:19:33 PM »
Our daughters could actually sort of truthfully say that they were "raised by wolves"

Well, it was better than admitting to being raised by Tallpine.  grin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 06:11:37 AM »
You got that right, carebear Wink

Maybe I should have let the wolves finish the job, but then they don't live all that long.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 08:58:54 AM »

Maybe I should have let the wolves finish the job, but then they don't live all that long.

Longevity.

So ya got that goin' for ya'.  Which is nice.  grin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 09:07:48 AM »
I debated a guy at THR
Okay...who's the moron in this equation?
 laugh
Debating people on THR is an anyeurisim/ulcer/coronary waiting to happen.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 10:20:18 AM »
One of the "I Had to Shoot a Dog" threads that usually get locked. 

Dude wrote he would kill anyone who thought his 100'+ off-lease pooches was charging and, thinking it was about to cause injury, gave it hot lead.

All this on public land, mind you, frequented by other humans and their leashed critters.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »

can your human pups still scratch behind their ear with a foot?  and think its cool?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »
I don't think you got my joke.  I was teasing you as the moron for debating on THR.....you'd be better served smashing your head against a brick wall over and over again....there are some serious winners floating around THR anymore.....
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 12:29:23 PM »
I don't think you got my joke.  I was teasing you as the moron for debating on THR.....you'd be better served smashing your head against a brick wall over and over again....there are some serious winners floating around THR anymore.....
 laugh

And APS is better? rolleyes cheesy

I almost never go there anymore; is it really going downhill that much?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 01:12:25 PM »
can your human pups still scratch behind their ear with a foot?

No, but at least I haven't had to bail them out of the pound yet  grin

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »
mine still scratches behind her ear    shes 6

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 03:15:32 PM »
raging debate on thr along the same lines.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=323177
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."