Author Topic: 'In God We Trust' moving to face of $1 coins  (Read 15464 times)

wooderson

• friend
Re: 'In God We Trust' moving to face of $1 coins
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2008, 06:10:25 AM »
And pardon me for not really listening to "only the liberal theologians" believe that when the primary example of these is movement Christian conservative George Bush. If evangelicals are the dirty liberals, I don't even want to know where Anglicans fit in (positively heathenous, one assumes).

That tells me y'all have a rather different standard for majority/minority and theological ideology than everyone else.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2008, 06:26:19 AM »
I wondered why my Rods of Ra were glowing brightly.

Now that I've read this thread, I know....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2008, 07:26:42 AM »
wooderson:

Uh, GWB is a Methodist.  Specifically, a member of the United Methodist Church, a mainline protestant denomination in the USA.

The leadership of the UMC is rife with theological liberalism, so much so that, the theological conservatives in the UMC are contemplating separation.  Many individuals dissatisfied with the drift of the church leave and they are some of the folks swelling the ranks of the conservative churches.  This is common across the mainline prot churches that have gone theologically liberal: loss of parishioners to theologically conservative churches.

Also, the UMC is a member of numerous theologically liberal organizations to include the National Council of Churches and the World Council of Churches.

It is thus no surprise that GWB would mouth such language, if one is to equate his theology with that of the UMC's leadership.  I am more likely to attribute his ecumenicalism to politics.  Either way, it is incorrect.

---

As to the Anglicans, you must be more specific.  Some of the organizations are theologically liberal and some are not.  The leadership of the largest Anglican org in the US is theologically liberal and many Anglican churches have decided to dis-associate themselves from it.  They will find their connection to the Archbishop of Canterbury via another route.

---

One last thing, evangelicalism and liberal theology are not mutually exclusive concepts.  They are different concepts and some manage to square them, though this is a minority of a minority of Christians in the USA.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »
Your theological ideology argument, thus far, is a red herring - you present nothing to indicate that the "same god" concept is "theologically liberal" or that it plays a role in this supposed exodus to "conservative" churches with Methodists or Anglicans.

The Anglican split is largely over teh gayz and other social liberal "ills" - the Archbishop the conservatives would like to remain in communion with, after all, maintains that Islam, Christianity and Judaism worship the same God.

So when you decide that these "liberals" are incorrect - what that really means is that you disagree and remain in the minority.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »
wooderson:

My mistake, I thought you understood the concept of theological liberalism. 

Here are two sympathetic articles:
http://www.mb-soft.com/believe/txn/liberali.htm
http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/9090.htm

Not-so-sympathetic:
http://www.conservativemonitor.com/society03/2.shtml

An example of a thoroughly theologically liberal denomination:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

----

It would also help to have an understanding of conservative/traditional theology.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2008, 11:38:14 AM »
I understand it fine.

What I also understand is misdirection - "only this small minority of liberals believes in the shared god," yada yada yada, "conservatives are running from the liberal churches" yada yada yada. Except you haven't shown the former and the latter is demonstrably not connected to the former in terms of your example (Anglicans).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »
And pardon me for not really listening to "only the liberal theologians" believe that when the primary example of these is movement Christian conservative George Bush.

Bush's religion is about as conservative as his politics.  Which is to say, it's not. 

Holding that the Big Three don't believe in the same historical "god of Abraham" is very much a minority position. That you lot have issues is irrelevant to the matter (and the fact that all three groups maintain that they believe in this particular god...).

I don't think you quite understood what I was saying.  Overall, we have a number of communication problems, and I think you are quite confused about the issues at hand.  No doubt you feel the same about me.  Worse yet, the discussion has become quite acrimonious, so I am not willing to say much more.  Perhaps we can discuss things more clearly and more pleasantly later on.  Thanks for the discussion.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »
Worse yet, the discussion has become quite acrimonious,

As these threads usually do. Let's stop and take a break while we're all still pals.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."