Author Topic: Let boys play with toy guns, Nurseries told  (Read 2735 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Let boys play with toy guns, Nurseries told
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:42:12 PM »
Let boys play with toy guns, Nurseries told
By Graeme Paton, Education Editor
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml%3Bjsessionid%3DU4DEXQDDYIOU5QFIQMFCFFOAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/12/29/nguns129.xml

Young boys should be encouraged to play with toy guns and other weapons at nursery to get them interested in education, according to Government guidance.

Nursery staff are told in official advice to resist their "natural instinct" to stop under-fives playing with weapons in games with other toddlers.

A new document issued by the Department for Children, Schools and Families said children should be encouraged to take part in play which "involves more action".

advertisementLast night teachers condemned the advice, warning that toy guns "symbolise aggression".

But ministers said education needed to be tailored towards the needs of boys to ensure they do not fall behind from a young age.

There is continuing concern over the gap in standards between boys and girls, which has failed to narrow in recent years.

Boys lag behind at every age, and a report published earlier this year warned that inability to read and write properly at primary school was fuelling an "anti-education culture" which became more pronounced as boys progressed through the system.

The new guidance aims for improvement by "creating the right conditions for boys' learning" before they start formal primary education.

Making use of boys' interests can help them become more interested in school, the document suggested.

"Sometimes practitioners find the chosen play of boys more difficult to understand and value than that of girls," it said.

"They may choose activities in which adults involve themselves least, or play that involves more action. Images and ideas gleaned from the media are common starting points in boys' play and may involve characters with special powers or weapons.

"Adults can find this type of play particularly challenging and have a natural instinct to stop it.

"This is not necessary as long as practitioners help the boys to understand and respect the rights of other children and to take responsibility for the resources and environment.

"Creating situations so that boys' interests in these forms of play can be fostered through healthy and safe risk-taking will enhance every aspect of their learning and development."

But the National Union of Teachers criticised the advice on toy guns. Steve Sinnott, the NUT general secretary, said: "The real problem with weapons is that they symbolise aggression. We do need to ensure, whether the playing is rumbustious or not, that there is a respect for your peers, however young they are.

"The trouble with weapons is that the toy gun is often accompanied by aggression."

Chris Keates, the general secretary of the NASUWT teachers' union, warned that nurseries following the guidance risked incurring the anger of parents.

"Many parents take the decision that their children won't have toy weapons," she said.

"In addition to that, I think this is a clear example of gender stereotyping."

But Beverley Hughes, the Children's Minister, defended the advice.

"The guidance simply takes a common-sense approach to the fact that many young children and, perhaps, particularly many boys, like boisterous, physical activity," she said.

Caimlas

• BoiledFrog.US Forums
Re: Let boys play with toy guns, Nurseries told
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:44:29 PM »
Wow. That's... crazy. It is absolutely astounding that things have become so anti-male that things like this are, apparently, a fought-against revelation - even a rejected one. Uh, ever hear of "boys will be boys"? Should we discourage young girls from brushing their hair because it "symbolizes sexuality"? No, of course not - girls are more important (or, at least, that is what we are to believe if we are to notice how the education systems in the West treat the genders).

Part of me thought that was an article from somewhere in the US, until I realized the departments they were referring to were not American. Phew! Still, I could see this going on here.

What in the world are children under 5 doing in a state-run day program, anyway? RAISE YOUR DAMN KIDS. I swear, most of these kids will end up so screwed in the head due to all the PC stuff they're being consistently and universally shoveled, boys in particular.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 07:22:06 PM »
Hopefully this will be the beginning of a change in the culture.

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 10:39:01 PM »
Last night teachers condemned the advice, warning that toy guns "symbolise aggression".

OK. Tell me again why 'aggression' is bad? Docility is certainly an important trait and has it's place, but if that's all you the capacity for, you are bound to wind up poop creek without a paddle.

Human males (heck, males of any species) are aggressive by nature. That's the way that God/nature/whathaveyou has programmed them since the dawn of time. Why the recent crusade for the psycho-instinctual re-engineering of half the human race?

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 04:14:46 AM »
Last night teachers condemned the advice, warning that toy guns "symbolise aggression".

OK. Tell me again why 'aggression' is bad? Docility is certainly an important trait and has it's place, but if that's all you the capacity for, you are bound to wind up poop creek without a paddle.

Human males (heck, males of any species) are aggressive by nature. That's the way that God/nature/whathaveyou has programmed them since the dawn of time. Why the recent crusade for the psycho-instinctual re-engineering of half the human race?

Spend some time in an elementary school and you'll see that many boys (and girls) have no problem reaching their aggressive side.  I have seen some pretty atrocious behavior.  The problem is that many kids do not know when aggression is needed or appropriate.  There are certainly far more cjoices than simply aggression and docillity.

The reality is that playing with toy guns does not lead to any further problems, so a ban is meaningless.  Policies should be based on facts and reality.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 06:31:53 AM »
It's been pointed out many times that if young boys are stopped from having toy guns, they will make toy guns out of sticks.

Before that, they made toy boys and arrows out of sticks.

Before that, they made toy spears out of sticks.

It's just the nature of the species. And it's not a bad thing! Aggression can be translated to self-defense and defense of others, you know?

(It's not even unique to our species, pretend play with simulated violence...ever see a cat or dog stalk and "kill" a toy?)  smiley

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:34:25 AM »
But the National Union of Teachers criticised the advice on toy guns. Steve Sinnott, the NUT general secretary, said: "The real problem with weapons is that they symbolise aggression. We do need to ensure, whether the playing is rumbustious or not, that there is a respect for your peers, however young they are.

I should also point out that there are several teachers' unions in the UK.  The NUT has something of a reputation for being full of "Loony Left" types.  (Indeed, my own mother, who is a teacher and a union member herself, described them as such).

The NUT making daft statements always gets more media coverage than the other unions being sensible.

Edited to add:
Also, the subject was discussed here on the BBC website: http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=3988&edition=1&ttl=20071230182120

Even before a lot of Americans joined the discussion, about 95% of contributors were agreeing there is nothing wrong with children playing with toy guns.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 10:41:46 AM »
Yup, I had plenty of toy stick guns (or whatever) when I was a kid. Great weapons, never jammed, never ran out of ammo...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 10:53:25 AM »
National Union of Teachers ... NUT

Did they even think about that TLA Huh?

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 12:28:43 PM »
I just want to weep when I read all this pacifistic dreck.  Males and females need to learn about aggression.  It is a natural human trait.  One cannot control aggression if one doesn't learn about it.

Rough games are all about self preservation and injury avoidance.  Rough games  are teaching moments.  They teach the above as well as tactics, stalking, improve motor skills as well as rapid critical thinking.

We need to organize a posse' and take a road trip through all of the institutions that are teaching pacifism and cause those folks to be Raptured.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Caimlas

• BoiledFrog.US Forums
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 03:05:48 PM »

That's an easy one. Looking at it from their perspective - more than likely good little Marxists/feminists of the modern movement - then aggression is bad because it's a primarily masculine, male trait. It's male, because it is one of the characteristic reasons why men rape and want to have sex - they're aggressive. Yes, it's circular, but that's the root of why they think "violence is bad".

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 05:55:45 PM »
England ... is ... lost.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design