Author Topic: Good freeware Wav file editor  (Read 1073 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Good freeware Wav file editor
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:33:54 AM »
I tried to load Creative Wave Studio on the machine I cobbled together for home but the (much older) version I have isn't XP friendly.  Any suggestions on a good basic freeware wav file recorder/editor?  I did a little interweb trolling and Audacity keeps coming up as a decent option, but maybe you folks have a better suggestion.

All I need is to be able to pull sound from a line-level source and save it in CD-friendly format (stereo, 44.1 KHz sample rate).  As long as I can do some basic edits for sound levels and fades I should be pretty well set.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Good freeware Wav file editor
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:54:15 AM »
Audacity.  grin

That would be my first choice. I don't have it on my computer right now, but I've used it in the past for some basic audio editing and it did just what I wanted. I didn't find it too difficult to use, either.
Andy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:01:49 AM »
Well, was just doing some work in Nero and discovered it has a pretty capable wave file editor built into it.  I'll try that for now, but thanks for the input!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 08:30:03 PM »
Another vote for Audacity, if the Nero editor doesn't cut it for you. It's easy to use, and does most anything I've needed to do to a sound file.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »
Audacity. I know it's good on OSX, dunno about the Windows version, if that's what you have.

I had noticed that there are a billion craptastic VBscript or whatever editors for Windows complete with horrible Win 3.1 icons in them, but that one seems pretty good.