Author Topic: Iranian Navy just fails in Darwin Award attempt  (Read 22932 times)

agricola

• friend
Iranian Navy just fails in Darwin Award attempt
« on: January 07, 2008, 06:23:14 AM »
Speedboats against a cruiser, a destroyer and a frigate?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7175325.stm

"I am coming at you. You will explode in a couple of minutes"
  says the Iranians.  The only worrying part is that they got within 200 metres without anyone shooting at them.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Iranian Navy just fails in Darwin Award attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 06:29:43 AM »
"I am coming at you. You I will explode in a couple of minutes"
 Fixed it...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:02:09 AM »
Speedboats against a cruiser, a destroyer and a frigate?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7175325.stm

"I am coming at you. You will explode in a couple of minutes"
  says the Iranians.  The only worrying part is that they got within 200 metres without anyone shooting at them.

It's the new cold war.  Don't forget we had many, many close run ins with the Soviets.  The chinese got away with bumping one of our P3's without consequence. 
I credit the Navy crews for not making it worse than it was.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 07:20:37 AM »
The sad thing is that a raft of explosives could do serious damage to those cruisers, just like one did to the USS Cole.

Maybe its time to bring the Iowa class out of mothballs and put those on patrol there? An exploding speedboat wouldn't even scratch the hull of those old things, not with their thick waterline armor.

That, plus just bringing those big 16-inchers down and around to bear on someone really ought to make them reconsider their commitment to getting to paradise...  grin

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:26:38 AM »

That looks like it'd take out a raft/speedboat even if it was firing blanks.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 07:40:32 AM »
At the very least your ears might ring a bit.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:49:29 AM »
The challenge faced by the skipper is whether to start an international incident by shooting the boats out of the water (as they likely would love to do) and killing an orphanage on a picnic or a sheik's son or some such  vs protecting the larger vessel against a potential 'sploding speedboat. We've been pursuibf less-than-lethal weapons for years for just such a situation.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 08:52:12 AM »
The challenge faced by the skipper is whether to start an international incident by shooting the boats out of the water (as they likely would love to do) and killing an orphanage on a picnic or a sheik's son or some such  vs protecting the larger vessel against a potential 'sploding speedboat. We've been pursuibf less-than-lethal weapons for years for just such a situation.

TC

Hence my suggestion of the big old Iowas. Just tell all sailors on deck to go inside, let the speedboats go splat, and charge Iran for new grey paint.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 10:01:56 AM »
My personal favorite is to kill the satellite feed for Daytona 500 about 2/3 through the race, then put out a news release that the Iranians did it.  You'd have a flotilla of bass boats headed east in about twenty minutes.  Do you think a bunch of camo'd out four-wheelers storming the beaches with shotguns taped to the handlebars would make news?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 10:06:58 AM »
My personal favorite is to kill the satellite feed for Daytona 500 about 2/3 through the race, then put out a news release that the Iranians did it.  You'd have a flotilla of bass boats headed east in about twenty minutes.  Do you think a bunch of camo'd out four-wheelers storming the beaches with shotguns taped to the handlebars would make news?

Brad

Well, I know that it's been suggested that the best way to find Bin Laden would be to rent a DVD or take out a credit card in his name, then not return it / not pay it.

They'll find him!

But I like that idea. Either that, or the Super Bowl.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 10:11:14 AM »

take out a credit card in his name, then not return it / not pay it.

They'll find him!

Boy that's n joke.  At least once or twice a year I get a phone call or letter from bill collectors who are still "finding" my ex-wife for some of her unpaid cards.  We've been divorced since '99!

Brad
-HankB

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 12:08:12 PM »
Do Marines use the M107?  A couple of M107s working together loaded with Raufoss (Greentip, sorry).

Sounds like the perfect remedy to me.  Heck, the Marines would love the target practice.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 12:50:15 PM »

Brad

You'd see a run on those Optima marine batteries first... gotta save gas getting there. Overall, though...  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 05:26:36 PM »
They should have just blown the idiots out of the water. They need to be taught a lesson.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Paddy

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 05:35:19 PM »
They should have just blown the idiots out of the water. They need to be taught a lesson.

Yeah.  We should nuke the whole country.  Go Bush.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 05:56:53 PM »
If they are dumb enough to play chicken with our navy, they deserve whatever comes their way.  blow them all to hell.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »
They should have sunk the boats after a couple of warning shots then captured the survivors for interrogation and eventual release "as a gift to the Iranian people and in the interest of peace".

If indeed we are going to play empire, we need to take some lessons from the Brits in gunboat diplomacy and public relations.  laugh

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
Why won't those Iranians leave us alone?  It's not like we sent over an entire navy and troops to sit in their backyards and menace their country.  They have no business bothering US ships when those ships are only defending the homeland and doing nothing to threaten Iran, like patrolling waters right off the coast of Iran and 10,000 miles away from the US. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 12:51:39 AM »
Let's not forget that a very similar incident led to a little thing known as the "Vietnam War".
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Warren

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 02:15:15 AM »

TC

Does the Navy still have PT boats? Or some small, speedy, non-inflatable craft that can intercept a speedboat? You know, like a speedboat? Or a PBR? Maybe a newly minted CCW (with badge) on a jet ski?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 02:19:31 AM »

Brad
Oh...the imagery...it brings a tear to my eye.  grin
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 03:28:10 AM »

Yeah.  We should nuke the whole country.  Go Bush.

Your logic is ludicious.
Foriegn navy threatens to "explode" one of our boats. They deserved all the 5" shells that would come thier way.  What would you say if I charged you in a threatening manner?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 04:03:23 AM »
Jamis,

Chill.
One day at a time.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 04:52:22 AM »
Jamis,

Chill.
Fixed.  Sorry.  He can raise my hackles sometimes.
I'm no Bushite...but making the connection of our navy being provoked by Irans navy to bush is like blaming the dress maker for Klintons stain.
JD

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 04:53:47 AM »
Jamis,

Chill.
Fixed.  Sorry.  He can raise my hackles sometimes.
I'm no Bushite...but making the connection of our navy being provoked by Irans navy to bush is like blaming the dress maker for Klintons stain.

S'okay, the Paulistas here are now yelling that the Iran thing just now was staged to distract from Ron Paul.

No, I'm not kidding.