Author Topic: Which XD 45?  (Read 1962 times)

Paddy

Which XD 45?
« on: January 17, 2008, 02:43:30 PM »
Help me out. I'm gonna buy one, but can't decide which one.  Normally, I'm a fan of full size service pistols, but this time, I'm thinkin' maybe compact.  Already had (and traded) a G21 because the grip was too freakin' big. 

Thanks.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Which XD 45?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »
Help me out. I'm gonna buy one, but can't decide which one.  Normally, I'm a fan of full size service pistols, but this time, I'm thinkin' maybe compact.  Already had (and traded) a G21 because the grip was too freakin' big. 

Thanks.

I like the 9mm version of the XD 45. It's very compact......  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 02:51:54 PM »
Already got a G17.  Besides, 9mm is for women and pansies.  laugh  Gotta be .45 acp.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:32:38 PM »
My son has a XD-9 4" and after I shot it I decided to get one in .45

I have the 4" service model.  I was tossing back and forth the idea of the the 5" tactical over the 4" but decided on the 4.  Got it with all the gear for $475 in Arizona. 

The 4" is more accurate than I could ever dream of.  Very fine shooting pistol.  Don't think I'd see much difference accuracy wise between the 4" or 5". My Glock light fits on the rail perfectly.  The Glock trigger is better than the XD.  I like the way the Glock trigger resets better.  When you reset the XD trigger you still have a little take up before you hit the wall.  But, I've gotten used to my XD trigger.

I have pretty big hands and prefer the 13 round over the 10.  When I CCW, I carry the gun with the 10 round mag and the 13 riding on the belt mag holder.  Rides great in a Desanti's Inner Piece holster. 

The choice is yours on either one.  Both will serve you well.  Mine has. 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 03:59:13 PM »
I have the 4" service model.

I have pretty big hands and prefer the 13 round over the 10.  When I CCW, I carry the gun with the 10 round mag and the 13 riding on the belt mag holder.  Rides great in a Desanti's Inner Piece holster.

So you actually have the compact model then, and not the service model?

I used to have a full size 4" service model. Great gun, extremely accurate for some reason. I used to shoot milk jugs at 75 yards with it. I sold it to help finance a move and because I'll probably rebuy it in compact version (there was no compact version when I bought mine).

I'll either buy a compact 4" or a regular 5". I think the regular 4"  (or the compact with the big magazine) is too big to CCW. So if it's too big to CCW, and going to be a service/outdoor/range pistol, I might as well go with the 5".
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »
Already had (and traded) a G21 because the grip was too freakin' big. 

Buy a Kimber then! I shot a friend's Pro Carry II.. freaking sweet.  Only compact I have ever shot and tore the 10 ring out at 15 yards.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »
Already got a 1911.  Colt Combat Gov't that belonged to my dad.  It is superb, but not a carry gun.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 01:55:50 AM »
Already got a G17.  Besides, 9mm is for women and pansies.  laugh  

Well....sometimes women & pansies get aggressive....so I like to be ready..... Tongue

Best advice I can give is to find a range that rents both & try them out. Buy the one that fits best......

I really liked the 3" sub-compact XD-9 with both the regular & extended mags. Gives you a lot of options. What I'd really like is the 4" barrel/slide on the sub-compact frame with the regular/extended mag options. Esp. if it came in the earth-tone color frame & stainless slide....  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 05:33:09 AM »
Besides, 9mm is for women and pansies. 

Already had (and traded) a G21 because the grip was too freakin' big.

Hmmm, you probably should not be the one talking about pansies...  laugh

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 06:55:50 AM »
Already got a 1911.  Colt Combat Gov't that belonged to my dad.  It is superb, but not a carry gun.

The Compact Carry II is a baby version, its probably 2/3 the size of a full size.  Single stack so the grip is not as fat as a double stack.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 07:46:56 AM »
I have an XD-45 Tactical.  It is a fine gun, but now I pretty much wish I had gotten the shorter barreled version. 

If you get the compact version, it comes with an extended magazine so you can still shoot it as a full size. 

Also, if anyone happens to have any good holster suggestions, I would also appreciate that.  I need to pull out an old Gun Tests and see what that holster was that they got. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »
Go to the gun shop and try them.  The only real difference between the standard and the compact is a shorter grip.  See which one fits your hand best.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB