Author Topic: Why I carry a..........flashlight  (Read 7444 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Why I carry a..........flashlight
« on: January 26, 2008, 01:37:05 PM »
So, last weekend my Father decides that he wants to take my Daughter for her first trainride.  She is three, and, well, speaks like a three year old.  He asked me to please come along to act as a translator.  No problem, what time do you need me there?

Well, the train departs the station at 10:15.  I need to be at his house at 9:30, so we can drive the 1/2 hour to the station, and have time to park and get to the platform.

Oh, great, I need to leave my house at 7:30.  Up at 6:30 with Sammi.  Make coffee.   Drink first cup.  Get Sammi and I in the shower, dressed and ready to go.  Cups #2 and 3.  I load the car, and grab the travel mug.  Cups 4-5.  Drive the two hours.

Pickup my Dad, head to the train station.  On the way, Dad wants a coffee, buys me a large....what's that, cups 6 and 7?

Go to the station, and, well, the bathroom is closed for cleaning.  Bah, no worries, I'm fine.  Train is 15 minutes late.  I'm cold, and I now need to, ah, remove the coffee from my system.

The train comes, and I know that the restrooms are at both ends.  Nope, Dad decides to sit in the middle car, so we can sit upstairs to have a better view.  Then the train starts to move.  I need to go.  With a greater sence of urgency.  First stop, second stop, third stop.  I need to go, now.  Like painful need to go.  I get up for the next stop, and explain that I'm going to get off and jump to one end of the other.  While I'm explaining why I doing this to my Father, I get a lecture about not waiting that long.  Perfect timing, we miss that stop. 

I'm now standing in the front of the car, in crisis mode.  I'm trying to figure out which side of the train has less houses, as I'm entertaining dropping trow and going overboard.

It's that bad folks.

Well, I get to the point, that I need to go.  There is no more waiting, I need to go.  I walk through the train to the next train, where the two conductors are talking about of of their previous nights, ah, escapades with some woman that one of them obviously thought was the most beautiful woman in the world, and the other was doubting his story.

I barge in to the car in panic mode....they both turn around to tell me that the train is closed and I need to go to the other end to go to the latrine.  I firmly, but politely told them that this was not an option.

They explain to me, and they were very, very nice about it, that the car was closed and the bathroom was for the conductors only.

I told them to offer me a job, I had to go.

I whip open the door, the light is out.  Dead.  No light.  No windows.  I can't see straight, I'm in so much pain at this point.

They tell me something to the effect that the bathroom was closed as the light was out and it was a safety issues, blah, blah, blah.

I panic.  I can't walk, I need to go.  Then, the heavens open, the angels sing, and I remember that since I am self proclaimed paranoid, my Surefire (God (and, if anyone wants to, Baby Jesus can help out, too)) bless them, is in my pocket.

Turn the end cap to constant on, jam it in my mouth, slam the door shut on two rather upset conductors, and, well, created a much smaller scale version of Niagra Falls.

I open the door, 25 or 30 pounds lighter, and the light is still in my mouth.

One conductor is pissed at the apparent disrespect I showed him.  The other is laughing.  He them pulls out his surefire, blaps me in the chest with it (the whole "nice toy, I have one too, welcome the the International Brotherhood of Paranoid, but Prepared, Flashlight keepers), and told me to have a nice day.

And that, my friends, is why I always have a flashlight in my pocket, day or night.

M
One day at a time.

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Why I carry a..........flashlight
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 01:44:14 PM »
One conductor is pissed at the apparent disrespect I showed him.

Whose flashlight did he use? grin
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 01:46:29 PM »
My keychain is a white LED.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 04:01:35 PM »
I carry 3, actually. A photon around my neck, a ARC-P on my keychain, and a 'fire or Fenix in my pocket.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 04:07:26 PM »
I carry 3, actually. A photon around my neck, a ARC-P on my keychain, and a 'fire or Fenix in my pocket.

Scared of the dark much? Wink

I carry a Photon on the keychain and my 6p with striker bezel when I can't carry a gun or knife.  The 6p is more  kuboton than light in those cases.  The Photon puts out enough light for me to navigate a totally dark NOC when the power is out, which is all I ask.

Chris

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »
I have a Photon II on my key chain.  That's pretty much the only flashlight I carry on me regularly.  Sometimes I carry an 80+ lumen "Surefire clone" when its dark and I'm out walking, but its not something I have with me all the time.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 06:46:48 PM »
When I was out in WA, my co-worker's van's battery died (I was riding to and from the hotel with him and didn't rent a car).  We waltz over to the walmart and he buys a new battery.  My imitation "surefire" sure came in handy to change the battery, though I wished I had also had a simple LED since we didn't need that much light.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:15:26 AM »
Quote from: Tallpine
My imitation "surefire" sure came in handy to change the battery, though I wished I had also had a simple LED since we didn't need that  much light.

That's why I carry my Surefire and an Inova X1 LED light that runs on AAs.  Lithium tactical lights tend to put out a little much light for work in close spaces.  And when they say 60 minutes of run time they mean 60 and not a minute more.  The little X1 is great for smaller tasks and tasks where I need to use it for an extended period of time.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 08:31:50 AM »
My favorite Animaniacs quote:

"Potty Emergency!"   grin

I know how you feel, though. I had to stop by the highway and run into the woods a few weeks ago - I've never learned that one only rents KFC.  My wife was in the truck, and wished she had a camera along.  Thank Gawd for those little packets of Kleenex...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
I started always carrying a flashlight (one of two surefires)
in CA in case of earthquakes, just because its day time don't mean the building wont collapse or the power go out.

I still do in Reno, even though it is less likely to quake it will happen someday I've read somewhere.

it has come in handy for emergency use too, just not on the train yet.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 07:30:35 PM »
I just started carrying one of these on my keychain - http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3241

Small, light, runs off of AAA's, and this sucker is BRIGHT with some good batteries (NiMH or Lithium).  $15 shipped from Hong Kong, and I can't recommend it enough to anyone looking for a keychain flashlight.

On a tangentially related note, anyone know a good keychain multitool?  The three decent-looking ones I've found are the Leatherman Micra and Squirt, and the Gerber Clutch...  Right now I'm leaning towards the Squirt P4 because I like pliers and I trust Leatherman, but I was wondering if I'm missing any other good choices.  Only one requirement: it HAS to fit on a keychain.  Preferably 2 inches long closed, and definitely under three.  Don't tell me to get a Juice or a SpyderRench please Smiley  (Although I want a SpyderRench badly, and a FireByrd)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
I just started carrying one of these on my keychain - http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3241

Small, light, runs off of AAA's, and this sucker is BRIGHT with some good batteries (NiMH or Lithium).  $15 shipped from Hong Kong, and I can't recommend it enough to anyone looking for a keychain flashlight.

On a tangentially related note, anyone know a good keychain multitool?  The three decent-looking ones I've found are the Leatherman Micra and Squirt, and the Gerber Clutch...  Right now I'm leaning towards the Squirt P4 because I like pliers and I trust Leatherman, but I was wondering if I'm missing any other good choices.  Only one requirement: it HAS to fit on a keychain.  Preferably 2 inches long closed, and definitely under three.  Don't tell me to get a Juice or a SpyderRench please Smiley  (Although I want a SpyderRench badly, and a FireByrd)

I'd say go with the Squirt.  A friend of mine has a pair and they work well. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 02:15:27 AM »
but the scissors are more useful than the pliers. the pliers are too small to be of use anyway.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 06:39:38 AM »
but the scissors are more useful than the pliers. the pliers are too small to be of use anyway.

Yes, a Squirt S4 is a very handy keychain tool. Have one in my pocket right now. I have a P4 too, but the pliers are so small as to be pretty much useless.

I've carried a flashlight for a long time. I've had the lights in a public restroom go out on me while sitting on the porcelain throne, and it's quite handy to have a bit of light available when leaving after one has finished their business.
Andy

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »
I was on a scenic tourist-trap cave tour when all the electric lights went out once. I happened to be carrying 4 flashlights because I had brought a 'proper' flashlight in addition to my EDCs. I was pretty popular, and angry that I didn't bring the one I had left in my glove box. BTW, an ARC-p is actually too bright for survival caving. You need so little light to get around after your eyes adjust to the darkness, it's weird.
--Tallpine

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 02:12:37 AM »
Heh.  Good story.  We've all had bathroom emergencies.   When I was a teenager I ended up on the roof of a 28 story building, leaving a present next to the AC unit.

I distinctly remember a conversation with someone who told me "this bathroom is for employees only."  I offered him $20. (I was that desperate).   He said no.  I told him "You can either let me in there or I'm going to give birth to the world's ugliest baby right here in your store, right here in front of your customers."  He let me in.   grin

I just carry a cheap LED flashlight that uses a single AAA battery.  I keep meaning to upgrade to a Fenix.    I have better (larger and bulkier) LED flashlights all around my house and car.  Three full sized D cell mag lights (2 converted, one purchased with the LED head), 2 of the 2-AA models with conversion heads, and various others.  People think I'm weird about flashlights and fire extinguishers.  They're right.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Scarecrow

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 02:34:36 AM »
I have a couple mini maglites. they always come in handy while fishing after the sun has gone down. or camping last summer and my wife locking they keys in the trunk of my friend's car when all she wanted to do was get a bottle of water. so she opens the trunk, puts the keys down inside the trunk so she has 2 free hands to get the bottle out of the plastic. then satisfied with her refreshing beverage she closes the trunk with the keys still in it.

we spent a good couple hours making rigs from wire marshmellow roasters to stick between the window and the seal to hit the unlock button. we hit it a good couple of times. then did the same on the other side of the car.

so the next day when triple A came to open the car for us we found out that if the car was locked by the remote locker, any button from the inside of the car is useless. man if we only knew. we could have kept fishing. the bass were biting like crazy at the time we stopped to get the keys out. oh well live and learn
I used to be so indecisive.... now I'm not so sure.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 05:51:44 AM »
I have a 6p that I carry on and off. I actually used it last night trying to read numbers on mail boxes in the dark. Came in very handy.

It has an incredibly bright LED bulb that mtnbkr ordered for me from somewhere in Asia.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 05:00:13 PM »
I'm a big Inova fan. I carry an X1 and a green Microlight (great for navigating movie theaters).

I also have a Streamlight Scorpion in my truck and near my shotgun at home. I think they're even better values than the Surefires.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TwitchALot

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 10:41:14 PM »
Fenix L1D +1. I've heard the Rexlight is better, but I don't have one, so I can't personally verify that.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 05:11:56 AM »
I carry a Mini Maglite on my belt every day.  Would never leave without it.
Didn't think I'd use it so much when I first got it, but I got it home that day and before I even put it on my dad asked to use it.
Can't afford Surefires. Sad
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 05:25:30 AM »
Can't afford Surefires. Sad

Get one of the nylon models.  They're the same internals as a 6p, just with a nylon body.  Last time I looked, they were about $35.  There are many other flashlights with the performance of a Surefire without the pricetag.

You don't need to spend $$$ to get a good light.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 05:52:40 AM »
Just don't buy cheap Chinese LiIon batteries. They can and will explode in flames.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 06:00:48 AM »
The only reason I have a Surefire is that when I was working for the gunshop I got a KILLER deal on two, cost considerbly less for two than what one would have cost me retail.

I kept one and gave one to my Dad.

When Dad died last year I gave it to Mtnbkr. He quickly fell into his normal mode and began tricking it out with bells, whistles, BOPOS, and the like.  laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 06:51:10 AM »
At all times:

Fenix P1D CE
Leatherman Fuse
Pilot G2 (the pen)
Zippo
IMCO pipe lighter
Bic lighter

The Fenix was about $60, and the Leatherman about $40. Zippos are about $15 wherever you go, and IMCOs are about as expensive.  The funny thing is, I'm a person of very limited means (student), living on about $75 a week for gas, food, etc.  The above listed items, however, I use every single day

I don't even use my cell phone that much, which is probably why I don't mind that I only spent $20 on a pay-as-you-go POS.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams