Author Topic: Finally saw The Ghost and the Darkness...  (Read 4174 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Finally saw The Ghost and the Darkness...
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:30:18 PM »
God what an awful movie.

Absolute dreck.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Finally saw The Ghost and the Darkness...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:52:41 PM »
Great, I can see the message on the movie screen now...

"In order to placate some whiny literalist members of the movie going audience, the next four hours will be devoted to footage of the landscape outside a moving train window.

This accurately and realistically portrays the subject's incredibly boring, uneventful, 4 hour train ride from Thumbsuck City to Blumpiedump Junction. After he arrives at Blumpiedump Junction, nothing else happens, so you might as well go home.

On your way, swing by Mike Irwin's house and crunch a loaf on his front steps to let him know what a boring prat he is..."

Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 03:06:38 PM »
People getting eaten by lions automatically makes any movie better.  The movie is based on real events in which something like 20+ people got dragged out of a village and chomped.  Even if I hadn't liked the movie I never would have admitted it because the premise is so awesome.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 03:08:33 PM »
I fully recognize that the movie was VERY loosely based on John Patterson's hunt for the Tsavo lions, and that the role of Remington, and much of the rest of it, was fabricated.

I have NO problems with that.

It's just that the movie was awful.

The timing was bad.

The dialog, especially all of the symbolic battlefield mumbo jumbo bullcrap that the Remington character spouts, was lawful.

Character development was... well, hell, the lions had more character development than any of the rest of them.

OK, I'll give it a couple of kudos...

The .303 Lee Metford rifle that Val Kilmer's character used (sporterized) was spot on.

I could truly buy Val Kilmer as being a Lt. Col. in the British Army Corps of Engineers. He's a good actor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 03:11:22 PM »
"The movie is based on real events in which something like 20+ people got dragged out of a village and chomped."

You're off by approximately 110 people.

In the 9 months that Patterson actively hunted the lions while stationed at Tsavo the lions killed an estimated 130 people.

Well, OK, the Field Museum website, where the Tsavo lions are today, says 140 people....

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »

"In order to placate some whiny literalist members of the movie going audience, the next four hours will be devoted to footage of the landscape outside a moving train window.

This accurately and realistically portrays the subject's incredibly boring, uneventful, 4 hour train ride from Thumbsuck City to Blumpiedump Junction. After he arrives at Blumpiedump Junction, nothing else happens, so you might as well go home.

On your way, swing by Mike Irwin's house and crunch a loaf on his front steps to let him know what a boring prat he is..."

Tongue

That is way too funny!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »
On your way, swing by Mike Irwin's house and crunch a loaf"
Tongue

If your loaf is crunchy, you may want to see a doctor.

Chris

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 04:00:44 PM »
You can catch "Lair of the White Worm" for an truely dreadful day of movies on TV.  undecided

bob

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 05:03:50 PM »
I liked The Ghost and the Darkness.  I thought it had a good tension to it.  It was especially effective in the scenes when the lions were present but you didn't see them, such as when the shooters were inside the hospital and the lions were roaming around outside, and when you could see (or think you see) something moving in the tall grass just outside the workers compound.

Sometimes when they showed a lion jumping someone the apparatus used to simulate a lion was extraordinarily cheesy, like the tv show where someone is holding a cardboard "shark" on a stick.

Other things annoying were some of the total screwups done attempting to kill or trap a lion, but unfortunately most of those were from actual events, so it limits my whining.  For example, the shooting platform on a pole and the three guys who couldn't shoot a lion trapped in a train car (or some such).  You just want to scream in frustration from the incompetence.

Reminds me of some viewer comments on IMDB for the sci-fi movie Sunshine, where earthlings send a space ship in close proximity to the sun and then send a bomb inside the sun to reenergize it.  I guess they landed at night !    smiley  The funny part was one of the IMDB viewers stated that he heard the movie was based on real events.   grin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 05:38:59 PM »

Tongue

That is way too funny!

Before Mike Irwin's lawyers sue me back to the stone age, I should clarify that I was quoting Mike himself, scolding 280plus.  Besides, I don't even understand that crunch loaf thing.  It don't make no sense.

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »
Newer movies all suck.  Incoherent plot development, crappy acting and an unsatisfying resolution.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 08:42:21 PM »
How can you sue someone back to the stone age when they are stuck in the mud age?

And you've never heard the term "crunch a loaf" before?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »
"I liked The Ghost and the Darkness."

Sorry to hear that. I suggest psychiatric assistance...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 03:49:46 AM »
Are you paying for it ?   smiley

Soo...

In order to have an opinion on something, you have to pay for it.

That's....

silly.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 04:22:28 AM »
Are you paying for it ?   smiley

Soo...

In order to have an opinion on something, you have to pay for it.

That's....

silly.

I think he was referring to the psychiatric assistance.  Shrinks charge by the hour, you know.

And I think the correct term is "pinch a loaf."  Never heard the crunch thing before.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 04:48:54 AM »
And you've never heard the term "crunch a loaf" before? 

Nope.  "Pinch a loaf," yes.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 05:00:20 AM »
Newer movies all suck.  Incoherent plot development, crappy acting and an unsatisfying resolution.

I can't disagree with that statement.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 05:06:21 AM »
"I think he was referring to the psychiatric assistance."

Oh. Yes. Of course he was. My bad.

Hell no.

I only diagnose. Payment is the responsibility of the deranged psycho...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 05:24:08 AM »
"I can't disagree with that statement."

I certainly can't agree with it, either. Any time frame is going to have good movies, and bad movies.

Some of the most confusing, poorly plotted, and badly developed movies I've ever seen were products of Hollywood's Golden Age, the 1930s through the 1950s. The studios (there were a bunch more of them then than there are now) were producing HUGE numbers of movies every year, probably in one year they'd make as many movies as all the studios today make in 4 or 5 years. Simple hit and miss odds are that you'll have a large number of great movies coming out of that sort of volume, but you'll also have a ton of absolute crap.

The only reason people think that the bygone years of film making were marked by nothing but resounding hits and absolute, timeless classics is because the BS crap movies aren't shown and aren't available to rent because no one wants to see them.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 07:13:06 AM »
bah. 

John Wayne has been gone for over 20 years.   sad

Ron

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »
I enjoyed the movie when I watched it on DVD several years ago. A couple weeks ago I was the Field Museum and we made it a point to go check out the lions.
Original photo

Mounted and displayed lions at the museum

Ron

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 02:13:46 PM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 02:16:28 PM »

Lee

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 02:33:06 PM »
I don't get it.  Did lions find Ghandi after that or what?  Why don't they gang up and kill people by the dozens now?