Author Topic: Where's the global warming??  (Read 2790 times)

Rocketman56

Where's the global warming??
« on: January 27, 2008, 08:43:44 PM »
From an article at: http://alfin2100.blogspot.com/

Quote which says it all..

Extensive Snow and Ice: North, and South

Snow cover for the current Northern Hemisphere winter is 2% above normal, and the highest for the past 5 years.

Hmm.. Makes one think, doesn't it..

Like the Al Fin site..  It's now on my Daily Read list....

Enjoy,
Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Where's the global warming??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »
Well, we got six inches of global warming this morning, something that hasn't happened here in years.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:45:49 AM »
Big Al says things are getting much worse than thought.  His carbon footprint credit business must be down........I did have a nice ride on the motorcycle yesterday.....chris3

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:49:38 AM »
Someone will be along shortly to straighten you out. It's not global warming, it's climate change and always has been!!!!!! grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Rocketman56

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »
Climate change..  Climate change?!?

We've been having climate change since the Earth's calendar started.. (whichever calendar you prefer..)

Hmm, carbon credits = the 21st century snake oil??  Sigh, I wish I was that good a salesman..
(No I don't, I could never live with myself..)

Later,
Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:29:07 PM »
Guys....just cause its COLDER doesn't mean global warming isn't happening.  Didn't you watch The Day After Tomorrow?

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »
Actually it was in the fifty degree range here in central Illinois.  Something very unusual for January. 

I myself believe not in global warming but global climate change.  Just because it snowed where you are, does not mean that somewhere else is extremely snow free. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:05:48 PM »
"Hmm.. Makes one think, doesn't it.."

Yep, it makes me think that one isolated segment of the globe is experiencing something that's a bit different that what has happened over the last five years.

It also makes me think that seizing on that one isolated instance in that one isolated segment of the globe as an attempt to prove, or disprove, something that is (or is not) happening globally is incredibly flawed.

It also makes me think that I, and others, have repeatedly tried to stress that the term global warming doesn't mean that the entire globe is going to get uniformly warm and lock into that pattern.

Finally, it was 73 degrees here in Northern Virginia two weeks ago. That's not just unusual for January, that's front page of the Washington Post unusual for this area in January.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 07:18:52 PM »
climate change is real!
last summer it was over 100 degrees here in Reno
now it is below 30!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BridgeWalker

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
Um, it's supposed to be too cold to snow heavily in January.  It rained today anyway.

Sure, the globe is warming or the climate is changing or whatever it is this week.  So?  Life changes.
It's always good in some ways and bad in some ways and hand-wringing doesn't fix anything, and who the heck cares about the fnarking weather when we could be worrying about so many other, worthier things, like the whole weird petroleum dependence thing we got going on.

There ya go, my first, last, and only contribution to this forum on the subject of the weather apocralypse.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »
Try to make a little joke, and people get all serious, like.  Good grief.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 11:41:34 PM »
GUANGZHOU, China (AP)

Some of the worst winter weather to hit southern China in decades took 25 more lives Tuesday when a bus plunged off an icy road, adding to the chaos the snow storms have caused during the nation's peak travel season.

Numerous cities suffered blackouts as heavy snowfalls caused power lines to snap and hampered the delivery of coal, used to generate most of China's electricity. Around 50 deaths so far have been blamed on the weather.

The storms also stranded travelers, among them hundreds of thousands of migrant workers heading home for the Chinese New Year. The holiday, which begins Feb. 7, is China's most festive. For many migrants, it is their only chance to visit their families, and by Tuesday many had given up trying to go.

Premier Wen Jiabao visited Changsha, capital of central Hunan province, which has suffered its heaviest snowfall levels since 1954, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=4207487

Guess China's getting "warmed", too!

Global warming = junk science + Ponzi schemes

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 12:52:42 AM »
Did you not read Mike's post?

Of course I could post the recent story about Harbin (Northern Chinese city) and their ice sculpture festival. It's a huge source of revenue for the city and warmer weather has threatened it. But that wouldn't prove anything either.

There are dozens of 'warmer temperature/possible evidence of global warming' media stories every day, from early flowers to record local temperatures. Given a mind to this forum could be cluttered with them, and it would pee people off. Yet every 'bit cold round these parts' story or comment is seized upon.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 04:06:09 AM »
I just wanted to make fun The Day After Tomorrow.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 04:21:40 AM »
I just wanted to make fun The Day After Tomorrow.

That movie had so many WTFs that it made me angry. I won't even go into that.  cheesy

BridgeWalker

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 04:02:55 PM »
Try to make a little joke, and people get all serious, like.  Good grief.

Sorry.  I was in a spazzy mood after a week of no internet. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »
No smiley, no know it be joke.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »
Three inches of blowing and drifting global warming last night, with a 50 degree temp drop in about 6 hours.  Got to a balmy 12 after hitting -2 last night. 

We're supposed to get hammered with more global warming tomorrow during the commute home.  Fun, fun, fun !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.