Author Topic: Spy satellite could hit the USA, but DoD will shoot it down first (Merged threads)  (Read 23844 times)

Lee

• friend
Re: Broken Satellite Will Be Shot Down
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 05:38:03 PM »
I heard they were gonna launch Dick Cheney with a Browning O/U to take it out.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »

I thought his expertise was lawyers, what did the poor satellite do to deserve such a fate?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2008, 06:36:16 PM »

I thought his expertise was lawyers, what did the poor satellite do to deserve such a fate?

Don't do that. He'd get distracted, and they'd end up needing to patch a hole in the shuttle.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2008, 07:45:31 PM »
This should be no problem, since all the tests of the anti-ballistic system have gone so well.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
And they told us they didn't need a gun on the Soyuz.       grin
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2008, 02:38:12 AM »
When will we learn that violence is not the answer?  When we respond to hatred with more hatred, it just perpetuates the cycle of violence.  Sob.  Sniff.   sad

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2008, 03:00:17 AM »
A few years ago a whole shuttle crashed to the ground and I don't remember there being any reports of hydrazine contamination or anyone being hit in the melon by falling debris.
Of course, plenty of debris did make it to the ground from that crash.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2008, 04:04:34 AM »
"I hadn't realized they had developed nuclear reactors small enough to fit in satellites. "

Not precisely, but the SNAP series fit handily. We've had "nuclear" powered satellites since the 60's. Nuclear is in quotes because it's not a moderated fission reaction, it's a decay reaction that we utilize the heat from.

Now, that said, I'm twitching ever time I hear "shoot down". It's coming down on a given path that isn't going to change whether we shoot it or not, the idea is to pop the tanks so the nasties dissipate before it hits terra firma. We ain't shooting it down, we're just shooting it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2008, 06:06:06 AM »
Yeah, we are just hoping to break it up a bit and maybe more of it will burn up or smaller pieces will hit the ground.

Either way, good chance to actually test some of those weapons systems.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2008, 06:19:13 AM »
I wonder if this is more of a, "See, we can do it, too", intended for the Chinese.  Not that they shouldn't already know that.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2008, 07:03:12 AM »
"I hadn't realized they had developed nuclear reactors small enough to fit in satellites. "

Not precisely, but the SNAP series fit handily. We've had "nuclear" powered satellites since the 60's. Nuclear is in quotes because it's not a moderated fission reaction, it's a decay reaction that we utilize the heat from.

I want one of those to replace the 40 gal gas tank on my Suburban Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mfree

• friend
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2008, 07:22:30 AM »
I wonder if this is more of a, "See, we can do it, too", intended for the Chinese. 

We did it in the 80's, off a high-flying F-15 Eagle.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Merged threads, since they're both stating the same thing.

See ASM-125 ASAT missile reference.

RTGs have been onboard satellites for a long time.  Cassinni was one of the more well-known RTG-powered spacecraft to utilize the power generated by radioactive decay of isotopes.  (Not a nuclear reactor, btw)

They don't generate the kind of power one could for motive force on a vehicle, but are considered more attractive than trying to keep a solar array aligned with the sun as they get shadowed by the planets or the spacecraft changes orientation.  Cassini's RTG generated 600-900 watts, total.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/safety.cfm

(I had to fly a WC-135 racetrack orbit near Canaveral just in case Cassini had an "oops" on launch, in order to track debris as it came back towards Spacecoast Florida)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2008, 10:55:23 AM »
I wonder if this is more of a, "See, we can do it, too", intended for the Chinese. 

I remember that.  I was essentially a rocket with no explosive warhead and just smashed into the satellite. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
In my vision I see an impact and seconds later satellite TV goes down all across the Eastern seaboard.

Navy Admiral, "Oops!!"  shocked

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
In my vision I see an impact and seconds later satellite TV goes down all across the Eastern seaboard.

Navy Admiral, "Oops!!" 

Yeah - just hope the Vincennes isn't the one trying to shoot it down  shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2008, 05:51:56 PM »

I remember that.  I was essentially a rocket with no explosive warhead and just smashed into the satellite. 

Really.......after a good Mexican dinner, I'd figure you'd have plenty of explosive potential....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

DJJ

• friend
All this talk about the hydrazine and the RTG and no one has speculated that the real reason is to make sure the fancy camera is destroyed?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
For my part, I expect a hit with little drama should the satellite get in range of the Std III missiles.

Suckers are designed ot hit warheads and the satellite is supposed to be school bus sized.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
You mean there's CHILDREN on that thing? Oh the humanity...  shocked

Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
You mean there's CHILDREN on that thing? Oh the humanity...  shocked

The way some folks hyperventilate about it, you'd think the kids were multi-ethnic hemophiliac aids patient UN peace ambassadors.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
How long of a bus?  That might explain it as well.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
How long of a bus?  That might explain it as well.

Based on how well it performed, I'd say short bus.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Looks like they hit it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080221/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/dead_satellite

Missile hits dying US spy satellite

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer 10 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A Navy missile soaring 130 miles above the Pacific smashed a dying and potentially deadly U.S. spy satellite Wednesday and probably destroyed a tank carrying 1,000 pounds of toxic fuel, officials said.

Officials had expressed cautious optimism that the missile would hit the satellite, which was the size of a school bus. But they were less certain of hitting the smaller, more problematic fuel tank, whose contents posed what Bush administration officials deemed a potential health hazard to humans if it landed intact.

In a statement announcing that the Navy missile struck the satellite, the Pentagon said, "Confirmation that the fuel tank has been fragmented should be available within 24 hours." It made no mention of early indications, but a defense official close to the situation said later that officials monitoring the collision saw what appeared to be an explosion, indicating that the fuel tank was hit.

<snip>

Leatherneck

• friend
I've got to hand it to the Navy/NCA: the cover story has been consistent and believable. Hydrazine: right. Health hazard: check. No other reason to take this shot.

TC
TC
RT Refugee