Author Topic: Deadbeat eBay bidders  (Read 2788 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Deadbeat eBay bidders
« on: February 14, 2008, 01:04:44 PM »
&%#@! deadbeat eBay bidders.  Two people hopped on and bid my Crowell lots up, but neither has bothered to pay (or even contact me, for that matter).  I've given them ample opportunity to pay, along with a daily reminder of the three-day time limit.  No contact.  None.

Just in case you have something on evilbay, here's the losers' account info:

Brandy Barnes
512 Lake Avenue - Apt 19
Rochester, NY   14613
eBay user ID:  bbarnes45965
email:  bbgcc2004 at yahoo d-com

Jack Blakney
110 W. Capitol Ave
Lansing, MI   48910
eBay user ID:  propertyguy80
email:  jacklshark at aol d-com

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

James Fitzer

Re: Deadbeat eBay bidders
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 01:07:06 PM »
Heh. nice

James Fitzer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:07:42 PM »
Sorry. wasn't saying NICE because they screwed you. I was saying "nice" at you calling em out.

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:45:54 PM »
That sucks!  both new ebayer's both deadbeats.  Maybe put in the auction that if you have less than 5 feedbacks they need to contact you prior to bidding or something.  I live by my ebay rating, it has helped me in different purchases outside ebay where the seller wanted more information on my trustworthiness.  Going (-1) on your first ebay transaction = no good.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 01:46:13 PM »
Didn't Ebay recently amend their rules to disallow sellers from posting negative feedback to buyers who suck?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 01:49:28 PM »
I've sent Second Chance notices to the other bidders on the auctions.  If they dont' want the land and I have to relist it, I'm toying with the idea of putting their names right there in the auction,

AND DOING IT IN BIG RED LETTERS!

The only thing that stops me is if these two lowlifes got on by using someone else's info.

Didn't Ebay recently amend their rules to disallow sellers from posting negative feedback to buyers who suck?

I was able to leave a neggie on both accounts.  Don't know if it's showing up, though.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 02:29:21 PM »
Did you pay eBay your listing fees?

Then that's all eBay cares about. Deadbeat bidders are not their concern. They're using the cellphone company model now...piss off and lose three subscribers for every ten new subscribers. Also, you're not their revenue source. The people who post 10,000 listings of "FREE IPOD LOOOOK!", that's their money.

Oh, and if you ship an item and the bidder does a PayPal chargeback and claims you never sent it, they don't care about that, either.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »
I'm betting that at least one of them is operating on a "buy it, and flip it in 24 hours, before I even paid for it" model.

Dude, timeshares, and a Texas Hog Heaven festival.

I can bring the sound system.
Blog under construction

takhtakaal

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 09:33:29 PM »
I've sent Second Chance notices to the other bidders on the auctions.  If they dont' want the land and I have to relist it, I'm toying with the idea of putting their names right there in the auction,

AND DOING IT IN BIG RED LETTERS!

The only thing that stops me is if these two lowlifes got on by using someone else's info.

I was able to leave a neggie on both accounts.  Don't know if it's showing up, though.

Brad

I put that I want only United States Postal Service money orders in big, red letters, too, and it never fails to amaze me how many people do whatever in the heck it is that they want to do.

I'm still waiting to get a big box with livestock in it from a third-world nation bidder for one of my auctions.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »
I'm betting that at least one of them is operating on a "buy it, and flip it in 24 hours, before I even paid for it" model.

Dude, timeshares, and a Texas Hog Heaven festival.

I can bring the sound system.

I've reserved two whole blocks for stuff just like that!  grin

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:28:37 AM »
eBay customer (un)support is useless.  I tried their "Live Chat" which isn't live at all.  It's obviously an automated response service and it kept running me in circles.

What I have a problem with is pretty simple.

I have an auction that ended but the winning bidder has neither contacted me nor paid.  I used the "Second Chance" function on the auction and it was accepted.  My question is why didn't eBay attach the Second Chance offer to the original auction?  It created a whole new auction (complete with new Notification Fee) instead of showing the original auction as closed and paid.  It also forces me to wait seven days to make an Unpaid Item dispute, then wait for all the Upaid Item Dispute Process to meander around, THEN I can request for a refund of the notification fee on the original auction.

Any of you eBay afficianados know a way around this, or am I SOL and just need to shut up and wait?

Brad
-HankB

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »
I've never figured out the second chance offer rules. Some auctions get them, some don't.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 01:13:30 PM »
I figured that a Second Chance offer would involve the original auction.  It does not.  It creates an entirely new auction in the Buy It Now format, and only good for a specified period of time.

If the second chancer decided to take you up on the offer, it ends the second auction, not the first.  The first remains open and you are unable to close it.  In fact, you are unable even file an unpaid auction dispute until seven days after the auction has ended.  Then you have to go through eBay's little rigamarole and their "play nice and try to contact the buyer" process.  Then, and only then, can you apply to have the Final Value fee refunded.  You can also apply to have your Insertion Fee refunded, but only if you have relisted the item.

But here's the kicker...

All the deadbeat bidder has to do is check one particular option in the dispute message and you are screwed.  This one option closes the dispute permanently, rendering you unable to make any appeals or any further claims to fee refunds.  In short, you get stuck with the fees even though the bidder, by all rights, is the at-fault party.  At that point you have no further recourse.

If that happens I am out the $75 total expense for the auction.  You can be damned sure that eBay is going to collect it even though I was the one who got screwed.

*Edit to add*

Relisted two of the lots.

*Edit again to add*

And found eBay's corporate phone number in San Jose.  Had to call about a dozen times to find a way through the maze of automated attendants and purposely-unhelpful operators, but I did it.  Left a message with the office of North American Operations, no less.  Take that, eBay.

Brad
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »
You shoulda let me have it for what I found under couch cushions.  You'da had the money in your pocket (enough to get a can of pop, a candy bar and a danish) a long time ago.

Don't use evil-bay list it here or on THR.  (Call it shooting land available).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 07:26:13 PM »
Yeah, or "big parking spots." Lots of folks have houses on wheels, and will gladly drop that kind of change for a place to park for a week or so every year. Especially for something like The Texas Hog Heaven Festival BBQ and Wet T-Shirt Contest.

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 07:39:51 PM »
Especially for something like The Texas Hog Heaven Festival BBQ and Wet T-Shirt Contest. 

No, Bogie, I will NOT compete in your wet t-shirt contest.   angry
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 04:05:54 AM »
I will!!  laugh

All this is SO why I stopped dealing on EBAY. I lost s pretty good chunk on an item that was bid up and not paid for. They wouldn't let me know who the runner up bidder was because it was a "private" auction. I had to relist the thing and it didn't do squat the second time around. Really peed me off. They have too many ridiculous rules and every day it gets worse. The quality of the buyers / sellers went down the tubes too. Too bad, they had a good thing going for a while. Then they went all corporate...  rolleyes

I'd say you're screwed until they decide it's time to iron it out. I'd DEFINITELY complain somewhere somehow if I were you. Not that it'll do any good...

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 04:07:45 AM »
eBay seriously needs some competition.

At this point, if one arose, they could steal customers with a simple slogan like "No Shenanigans".

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 04:51:30 AM »
"NOBULLSHIT.com" The newest auction mania to hit the intrawebs!

Who's in?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 04:52:54 AM »
Rats...

This is what I get when I type it in: "This site may harm your computer."

laugh

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 12:00:30 PM »
Hmph, one of the bidders contacted me today.  She was apologetic in the extreme, saying that she "forgot" she bid on it and still wanted the lot.  Unfortunately the lot sold via Second Chance, but I offered her a lot on the same block for the same as her auction bid.  Maybe she'll come through after all. I'll know when the credit hits my PayPal account.

*edit to add*

Okay, now what the heck is going on?!  I tried to send the bidder a PayPal money request, but it isn't showing up in my history.  The other money request, the one I canceled because she didn't get back to me for a week, is still there.  What gives?

Brad
-HankB