Author Topic: Angry White Man  (Read 4669 times)

crashresidue

Angry White Man
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:20:56 PM »
http://www.aspentimes.com/article/2008198091324

Good read, people.

Yea, it's ME.

Gentle winds,
cr
He who laughs last - is usually dumbest

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Angry White Man
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 01:41:33 AM »
It's pretty much me, too.
Well...except for that whole strip club thing. grin
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

kayakersteve

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 01:56:50 AM »
Boy, that summarizes life well - Thanks for sharing.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 02:22:10 AM »
He also votes, and the Angry White Man loathes Hillary Clinton. Her voice reminds him of a shovel scraping a rock. He recoils at the mere sight of her on television. Her very image disgusts him, and he cannot fathom why anyone would want her as their leader. Its not that she is a woman.

No, actually it is.   smiley

The concept of the angry white man was stupid when it was first trotted out as a bogey-man several elections ago (was it '94?) and it's still stupid today. 

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 03:44:23 AM »
The only thing that might make me angry is if Hillary DOES get elected.  laugh

I'm not crazy about the "Killing those that need killing doesn't bother him" angle. Not an image I'd like to be associated with.

Avoid cliches like the plague!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 04:53:53 AM »
good job, but some of the angry white guys I talk to want hilary cause they hate mccain and obama too. they hope for gridlock for 4 years and a revived conservative movement.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 07:11:52 AM »
He also votes, and the Angry White Man loathes Hillary Clinton. Her voice reminds him of a shovel scraping a rock. He recoils at the mere sight of her on television. Her very image disgusts him, and he cannot fathom why anyone would want her as their leader. Its not that she is a woman. Its that she is who she is. Its the liberal victim groups she panders to, the poor me attitude that she represents, her inability to give a straight answer to an honest question, his tax dollars that she wants to give to people who refuse to do anything for themselves.
That'd be me.  Unfortunately, I loathe McCain almost as much.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 07:40:07 AM »

The Angry White Man owns firearms, and hes willing to pick up a gun to defend his home and his country. He is willing to lay down his life to defend the freedom and safety of others, and the thought of killing someone who needs killing really doesnt bother him.

I can't disagree with that in the least...  what part do you take issue with 280?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 09:06:11 AM »
the thought of killing someone who needs killing really doesnt bother him.
Seems to make us gun owners / carriers appear cold blooded is all. I don't really want to shoot anybody and chances are if I do it'll probably bother me a bit afterwards. Won't really know unless it happens I guess.  undecided

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »
It's easy to talk big, as in that article.  The thought of someone killing someone, in general, who needs killing, does not bother me.  The thought of ME killing someone who needs killing, does bother me.  Would I do it?  Probably.  But I don't think I'd be OK afterwards.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:08:58 AM »
Seems to make us gun owners / carriers appear cold blooded is all. I don't really want to shoot anybody and chances are if I do it'll probably bother me a bit afterwards. Won't really know unless it happens I guess.  undecided

I think there's specific instances. As I'd mentioned elsewhere, someone who was in the act of raping a child would get as many rounds to the head as it took to put them down. That's not killing a person at that point, to me. It's deleting evil.

I do think having to shoot anyone would be disturbing, though. Unlike the Hollywood view, where they go down cleanly, I'm aware that hitting someone with especially a larger-caliber round can make a bit of a...mess. Even moreso in the case of rifle rounds. I've seen photos of wounds from 30-caliber bullets from rifle rounds like .308 and 7.62x39, and...ergh. Tongue

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 09:27:45 AM »
I guess I just assumed that "needs killing" put the critter in question in a catatgory where they had crossed The Line.  That wouldn't bother me.  Aftermath might, but having no experience there I wouldn't know.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:59:29 AM »
I surmise that in certain circumstances I would be able to rationalize the situation and get over it more quickly than in others.  Still, I'm sure there'd be some kind  PTSD kind of thing going on regardless.

I know I helped out at a pretty serious accident once before emergency services arrived and it was a couple weeks before I stopped thinking about it or flashing back to it, if you will. Pictures of the scene a year later were enough to bring it all flooding back. I don't know how anyone could do it for a living. I give them all a lot of credit.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 11:57:32 AM »
He also votes, and the Angry White Man loathes Hillary Clinton. Her voice reminds him of a shovel scraping a rock. He recoils at the mere sight of her on television. Her very image disgusts him, and he cannot fathom why anyone would want her as their leader. Its not that she is a woman.

No, actually it is.   smiley

The concept of the angry white man was stupid when it was first trotted out as a bogey-man several elections ago (was it '94?) and it's still stupid today. 

Agreed, on both counts. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »
I'm only angry about our pitiful choice of candidates...and I'm not just speaking of this presidential election.  I really don't care about race, creed or gender...I just want a smart, decent person who generally represents my interests. I'm tired of politicians and other organizational mouthpieces - I want a public servant.  The system is set up for professional politicians - the system needs to change.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 06:28:14 PM »

I prefer "the thought of stopping someone who needs stopping doesn't really bother him."

Change that.....and the strip-club reference (I'm on a skank-free diet).....and the article could work.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

doc2rn

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 08:02:36 PM »
Good description of me, really.

I cant think of one good reason to support any of the front runners.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 08:14:23 PM »
Its the liberal victim groups she panders to, the poor me attitude that she represents, her inability to give a straight answer to an honest question, his tax dollars that she wants to give to people who refuse to do anything for themselves.

They need us, we don't need them.   cool

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »
Since when does being a man require a love of sports?
And golf?  blegh.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 11:34:58 AM »
And golf?  blegh.

You mean you don't treasure when your local steroid addicted ball throwers win a contest against those  steroid addicted ball catchers from out of town?

And Golf? how can you not love a game where you can't participate unless you have a lot of balls?

;-)
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 11:50:12 AM »
Can we sit around and grunt for a while now? Hourly breaks for scratching ourselves.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »
Can we sit around and grunt for a while now? Hourly breaks for scratching ourselves.

grin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 01:14:36 PM »

grin

Just as long as we don't get gassy.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 06:24:59 AM »
And golf?  blegh.

You mean you don't treasure when your local steroid addicted ball throwers win a contest against those  steroid addicted ball catchers from out of town?

And Golf? how can you not love a game where you can't participate unless you have a lot of balls?

;-)
In fact, I may say that I loathe it! undecided
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 06:39:32 AM »

grin

Just as long as we don't get gassy.....

Uhhhnnrrrggghh.  Pass the beans, please.