Author Topic: Beef, its what for dinner  (Read 8258 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Beef, its what for dinner
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:30:18 AM »
Or maybe not...

California packer makes largest U.S. beef recall

By Charles Abbott and Christopher Doering
Mon Feb 18, 2:58 AM ET

A California meatpacker accused of animal cruelty is making the largest U.S. meat recall on record -- 143 million lbs, the U.S. Agriculture Department said on Sunday.

Most of the meat, raw and frozen beef products, probably has already been consumed, said USDA officials at a briefing. Some 37 million lbs were bought for school lunches and other federal nutrition programs. USDA said there was only a minor risk of illness from eating the beef.

Hallmark/Westland Meat Packing Co voluntarily recalled all of its beef produced since February 1, 2006. USDA said Hallmark violated rules against the slaughter of "downer cattle" -- that is, animals too ill to walk.

"This is the largest beef recall in the history of the United States, unfortunately," said Agriculture Undersecretary Richard Raymond.

Based in Chino, California, Hallmark/Westland has been closed since early February. Company officials were not immediately available for comment.

The Humane Society of the United States showed videotapes on January 30 showing workers at the plant using several abusive techniques to make animals stand up and pass a pre-slaughter inspection. These included ramming cattle with forklift blades and using a hose to simulate the feeling of drowning.

"A recall of this staggering scale proves that it's past time for Congress and the USDA to strengthen our laws for the sake of people and animals," said HSUS president Wayne Pacelle.

Raymond said the recall stemmed from slaughter of cattle that could not stand at the time of slaughter, although they passed inspection earlier. Packers are required to alert USDA veterinarians in those cases so they can decide if the animal can be slaughtered for food.

In most cases, beef from downer cattle is barred from the food supply. The rule was adopted as a safeguard against "mad cow" disease, a deadly, brain-wasting illness. People can contract a version of the disease by eating tainted products. USDA said there are many other safeguards against mad cow.

'LITTLE HEALTH RISK'

Until now, the largest U.S. meat recall was 35 million lbs in 1999.

USDA said the Hallmark/Westland recall ranked as a minor health risk because it involved a violation of inspection rules rather than proof of contamination. Most of the meat products recalled were beef, but a small amount was ground pork, according to the department.

Announcement of the recall will help the search for beef produced by Hallmark/Westland that may be held in freezer plants.

Senate Agriculture Committee Chairman Tom Harkin said in a statement that USDA must toughen its inspection measures before animals are slaughtered to prevent future occurrences.

"How much longer will we continue to test our luck with weak enforcement of federal food safety regulations?" said Harkin, an Iowa Democrat. "Federal regulations exist for a reason - to protect public health. For Hallmark/Westland to issue a recall that goes back two years indicates that violations may have been long-term."

Four senior Democrats in Congress, including Assistant Senate Majority Leader Dick Durbin, told the General Accounting Office on Thursday to investigate the safety of meat in the school lunch program in light of the Hallmark/Westland case.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080218/us_nm/food_recall_hallmark_dc_4
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Typhoon

• friend
Re: Beef, its what for dinner
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »
Here's a little more info, with recall information and portions of the video the Humane Society shot in the packing facility.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/consumer/recalls&id=5963985

The recalled beef looks like it was a lot of commercial stuff, not what's generally available in stores.  That probably doesn't make the kids and parents of the kids at LAUSD feel any better, though...
To the stars!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
People who knowingly process "downer" cattle as food ought to go to prison.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:28:12 AM »
I'm looking forward to being home full time so my beef can have a name. I want to see it out my window on the hoof one day and in the freezer the next. Hopefully next spring I can get a few steers. The cows in the video were nothing I'd care to eat or feed my dog.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »
I usually eat bison burgers. Lower in fat anyway.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:34:05 PM »
I usually eat bison burgers. Lower in fat anyway.

Yeah. I've been eating mostly turkey burgers, but the stupid market no longer carries the ones I liked, and the ones they have now taste like reprocessed sawdust. (They probably ARE reprocessed sawdust.) And just yesterday I discovered ground bison in the meat department, so we'll be trying it tonight.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:46:48 PM »
Growing up, my Grandfather had a little land with some cows.  My parents had a couple cows who ran with his.  We almost always had a freezer full of grass fed beef.  Not the best steaks, but good for feeding growing boys I guess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 12:56:24 PM »
People who knowingly process "downer" cattle as food ought to go to prison.

FYI <> BSE or Mad Cow disease.

I'll let my cousin know.  He has a dairy farm and if one of his cows becomes a "downer" he does his own butchering for his freezer.

Most the time, downer cattle are from injury and not illness.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »
I have always had mega high cholesterol. I quit eating meat about 15 years ago; at that time they were still feeding dead cattle parts to live cattle. I had no idea (and not many others did either) that cattle were fed parts of other dead cattle via cattle feed. Mad Cow disease had just started in Europe. The US continued to allow the feeding of dead cattle parts to live cattle as feed until the late 90's. I have seen more and more recalls of beef over the last few years. I'm not sure that meat producers care about quality or health. I know the US Government doesn't do a good job of inspecting beef either. They don't check many cattle for Mad Cow disease.

If I was to eat beef these days, it would only be organic beef or cattle I raised myself. There is no way I would ever trust a slaughterhouse or the USDA to inspect my beef. As you can see, they don't really care about the safety of your meat. If you get ill eating meat, try suing the USDA for not doing their job; good luck winning a lawsuit.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »
FYI, when making burgers from bison or ostrich, since it is low in fat, you have to take care to not overcook it or it'll be tough. If cooked right (up to medium well), it will be juicy and delicious. Keep a close eye on it!  smiley

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »
FYI, most cholesterol in your body is _created_ in your body. Very little comes from dietary cholesterol. More comes from sugar.

Blog under construction

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 04:42:30 PM »
Was that Robert Mitchum who did those "Beef - it's what's for dinner" voiceovers?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 04:49:49 PM »
Beef commercial music trivia: the symphonic piece played during the 'Beef: it's what's for dinner' commercial is by Aaron Copland -- Rodeo: Hoedown. 
I always loved that music.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SomeKid

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
It seems the issue was the way the treated the animals before death, not that the emat was unsafe to consume, am I right?

If so, I don't really care. They are animals, whose sole purpose is to die to feed me. So what if they don't die some "humane" death?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »
One because if I eat meat I owe it an ethical death. What good comes from abusing an animal? Two, look at those cows in the video. Looks like dairy cow culls that were no longer good for dairy. Something is making it so they can't stand. Just like I'm not going to shoot the mangy mouth foaming deer, I'm not going to eat that cow. MMM, mechanically separated taco meat, my favorite!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 10:08:46 AM »
its better you don't know much about the way food is processed. you might want to stop eating altogether.

there is no indication the meat is unsafe, just that they failed to follow the rules. as i understand it, there is no rule against slaughtering the downed cows for human consumption, just that the USDA vet has to check out the cow first.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 11:22:08 AM »
Happy cows come from California.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 02:26:40 PM »
It seems the issue was the way the treated the animals before death, not that the emat was unsafe to consume, am I right?

If so, I don't really care. They are animals, whose sole purpose is to die to feed me. So what if they don't die some "humane" death?

To each his own, but I think it's wrong to mistreat animals, even if it's going to end up on a bun with cheese and pickles.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 06:39:14 PM »
Was that Robert Mitchum who did those "Beef - it's what's for dinner" voiceovers?

I think that was Sam Elliot.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 08:22:45 AM »

Actually, the issue was both the way the animals were treated before slaughter and the possibility that the meat was unsafe to consume.
Since this is the largest beef recall ever, I'd bet that there are probably more people who care about providing a humane death for livestock than not.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 08:25:14 AM »
Happy cows come from California.
It'll be your fault if I go to hell for laughing at this.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 10:09:16 AM »

I think that was Sam Elliot.

Nope, I believe it was Claude Akins.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 10:21:38 AM »
IIRC, Robert Mitchum did do the commercials, then Sam Elliot took over.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »
Mitchum also continued appearing in feature films, often in cameo roles. Toward the end of his life, he found employment as a commercial voice-over artist, notably in the "Beef, it's what's for dinner" campaign.

Robert Mitchum

Beef. It's What's For Dinner?" features Copland's Rodeo music and the voice of famous cowboy actor Sam Elliot.  The campaign reached 86 percent of adults 25-54 nearly four times in just one of its two 3-week bursts with its convenience message in 1999.

National Cattlemen's Beef Association
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »
Hmmm...coulda sworn it was Claude...my bad.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.