Author Topic: I'm really loving S&W right now. How common is this?  (Read 882 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
I'm really loving S&W right now. How common is this?
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:33:37 PM »
http://bangornews.com/news/t/aroostook.aspx?articleid=160429&zoneid=175

Aroostook County

Presque Isle: Smith & Wesson pledges $45,000 to NMCC fund

By Jen Lynds
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - Bangor Daily News

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine  Northern Maine Community College and the NMCC Foundation surpassed their $2 million fundraising goal months ago, but the donations continue to roll in, and the latest gift has come from firearms maker Smith & Wesson, which has a plant in Houlton.

The company, which provides products and services for the safety, security, protection and sports markets, recently contributed $45,000 to the NMCC major-gifts campaign to establish the Smith & Wesson Advancement Fund. The fund is directed specifically to support the precision metals manufacturing program at the Presque Isle college, which the company said it has relied on to help meet needs for skilled workers.

The major-gifts drive known as the Campaign for the Countys College was launched a year ago by the college and the foundation to raise $2 million through this month. Its intent is to support student scholarships and instructional technology and to assist NMCC in efforts to respond quickly to community needs throughout Aroostook County.

The foundation benefits the campus community by raising and managing student scholarship funds and other special initiatives that help students receive postsecondary degrees at NMCC.

Smith & Wesson, which first opened in 1852, has a plant in Houlton that has the distinction of being the largest producer of handcuffs in the world.

Terry Wade, the Houlton plant manager for Smith & Wesson, said the company "understands the need for the [precision metals manufacturing] program and wants to ensure its longevity."

"We have many needs that are being fulfilled by NMCC," he added.

In recent years, Smith & Wesson has employed five alumni of the NMCC program upon graduation in various positions, including leading roles within the Houlton plant.

The contribution from Smith & Wesson, made to NMCC in $15,000 payments over three years, will provide additional funding for the administration and operation of the precision metals manufacturing program. The program has received significant attention and awards since its inception at NMCC, including being featured in national industry publications and attaining accreditation status last year through the National Institute for Metalworking Skills, a designation granted to only 125 schools nationwide.

NMCC President Tim Crowley expressed appreciation for the pledge, noting in a prepared statement that it not only would assist future students but also helped recognize "the efforts of the faculty, students and alumni in our precision metals manufacturing program."

"The collaborative nature of our relationship with Smith & Wesson and the resulting impact on work force and economic development in this region is exactly what we, as an institution, strive to achieve," he said.
NMCC is right across town. I might have to make a career change.  grin

Lee

• friend
Re: I'm really loving S&W right now. How common is this?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 04:51:41 AM »
I hope they put them to work soon - making the free magazines they promised me a few months ago when I bought their M&P.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 05:09:11 AM »
If you know of their politics in Massachusetts, keeping all their firearms on the "approved" list and keeping competitors out by playing nice with the antigun politicians, you'd not respect them so much.

Very curious that not a single competing revolver (Taurus, etc) is approved for sale in Mass, and there's no new Glocks or Springfields allowed to compete with their M&Ps.

Chris

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:21:04 AM »
If you know of their politics in Massachusetts, keeping all their firearms on the "approved" list and keeping competitors out by playing nice with the antigun politicians, you'd not respect them so much.

Very curious that not a single competing revolver (Taurus, etc) is approved for sale in Mass, and there's no new Glocks or Springfields allowed to compete with their M&Ps.

Not to be smart, but is this a situation of :

A.  Smith working with the antis;
B.  The politicians playing favorites with the local industry;
C.  Smith taking advantage of politics to their financial benefit?

A is unforgivable.  B is beyond Smith's control (unless a result of good lobbying).  C is Smith doing business, just like anyother industry.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:30:14 AM »
Considering their past history, with who they crawled into bed with in 2000 to save their own ass while throwing everyone under the bus?

Mrs. Clinton also announced her support for the creation of a "ballistic database" for all new guns, requiring gun makers or sellers to fire guns before sale and send that "ballistic fingerprint" to law enforcement.

Mrs. Clinton suggested that the idea -- proposed earlier this year by New York Gov. George Pataki (R) and included in the government's landmark legal settlement with gun manufacturer Smith & Wesson -- should be implemented nationally.

"What we would have is a national database of these images that law enforcement officers could use to quickly track down the origins of guns found at their crime scenes and the criminals who use them," Mrs. Clinton said.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/05/09/hrc.guns/index.html

I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

It just seems rather interesting that:

1. You can buy M&Ps and Sigmas in any gun store in MA.
2. You cannot buy a Taurus, Kel-Tec, post-1998 Glock, XD, or similar product in any gun store in MA. Ever.

Want to get a CCW in Boston? You need to qualify with a S&W snubbie. No other gun allowed.

Fascinating, I think.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »
Considering their past history, with who they crawled into bed with in 2000 to save their own ass while throwing everyone under the bus?

You do realize that all happened under prior ownership?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

atomd

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:27:18 PM »
Glock got tossed off of the approved roster because they supposedly don't have a good enough loaded chamber indicator. Then Glock made a change to try and make them compliant....but of course...it wasn't good enough. It's funny how Glock pistols aren't "safe" enough for the public to purchase yet most of the police in the state carry them. What utter hypocrisy. Springfield refuses to submit their pistols to be inspected for the roster. I remember reading a quote from someone at Springfield saying something about the rules being so vague that they won't bother with them. I think the real reason they would probably fail the testing is because their pistols lack the "S&W" name on the side. Good for Springfield...and screw Thomas Reilly, S&W and just Massachusetts in general. I'm glad I no longer live there.

atomd

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 02:35:46 PM »

You do realize that all happened under prior ownership?

Brad

That's true but they still didn't do away with all the crap they started in 2000. They never even did away with the stupid locks and I'm sure that concession even hurts their sales. I've met more than a few people who won't buy a S&W with a lock in it. The new ownership should have completely denounced those actions and done away with the changes that were made. I like their products but I wish they would step up to the plate and do the right thing here.