Author Topic: Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age  (Read 3726 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
My daughter in MN is expecting 6"-10" new snow today.  Mammoth Mountain CA ski report says MM has 155" base and is expecting more snow.

Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age
Lorne Gunter, National Post 
Published: Monday, February 25, 2008
http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/story.html?id=332289

Snow cover over North America and much of Siberia, Mongolia and China is greater than at any time since 1966.

The U.S. National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) reported that many American cities and towns suffered record cold temperatures in January and early February. According to the NCDC, the average temperature in January "was -0.3 F cooler than the 1901-2000 (20th century) average."

China is surviving its most brutal winter in a century. Temperatures in the normally balmy south were so low for so long that some middle-sized cities went days and even weeks without electricity because once power lines had toppled it was too cold or too icy to repair them.

There have been so many snow and ice storms in Ontario and Quebec in the past two months that the real estate market has felt the pinch as home buyers have stayed home rather than venturing out looking for new houses.

In just the first two weeks of February, Toronto received 70 cm of snow, smashing the record of 66.6 cm for the entire month set back in the pre-SUV, pre-Kyoto, pre-carbon footprint days of 1950.

And remember the Arctic Sea ice? The ice we were told so hysterically last fall had melted to its "lowest levels on record? Never mind that those records only date back as far as 1972 and that there is anthropological and geological evidence of much greater melts in the past.

The ice is back.

Gilles Langis, a senior forecaster with the Canadian Ice Service in Ottawa, says the Arctic winter has been so severe the ice has not only recovered, it is actually 10 to 20 cm thicker in many places than at this time last year.

OK, so one winter does not a climate make. It would be premature to claim an Ice Age is looming just because we have had one of our most brutal winters in decades.

But if environmentalists and environment reporters can run around shrieking about the manmade destruction of the natural order every time a robin shows up on Georgian Bay two weeks early, then it is at least fair game to use this winter's weather stories to wonder whether the alarmist are being a tad premature.

And it's not just anecdotal evidence that is piling up against the climate-change dogma.

According to Robert Toggweiler of the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory at Princeton University and Joellen Russell, assistant professor of biogeochemical dynamics at the University of Arizona -- two prominent climate modellers -- the computer models that show polar ice-melt cooling the oceans, stopping the circulation of warm equatorial water to northern latitudes and triggering another Ice Age (a la the movie The Day After Tomorrow) are all wrong.

"We missed what was right in front of our eyes," says Prof. Russell. It's not ice melt but rather wind circulation that drives ocean currents northward from the tropics. Climate models until now have not properly accounted for the wind's effects on ocean circulation, so researchers have compensated by over-emphasizing the role of manmade warming on polar ice melt.

But when Profs. Toggweiler and Russell rejigged their model to include the 40-year cycle of winds away from the equator (then back towards it again), the role of ocean currents bringing warm southern waters to the north was obvious in the current Arctic warming.

Last month, Oleg Sorokhtin, a fellow of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, shrugged off manmade climate change as "a drop in the bucket." Showing that solar activity has entered an inactive phase, Prof. Sorokhtin advised people to "stock up on fur coats."

He is not alone. Kenneth Tapping of our own National Research Council, who oversees a giant radio telescope focused on the sun, is convinced we are in for a long period of severely cold weather if sunspot activity does not pick up soon.

The last time the sun was this inactive, Earth suffered the Little Ice Age that lasted about five centuries and ended in 1850. Crops failed through killer frosts and drought. Famine, plague and war were widespread. Harbours froze, so did rivers, and trade ceased.

It's way too early to claim the same is about to happen again, but then it's way too early for the hysteria of the global warmers, too.

lgunter@shaw.ca

Tecumseh

• friend
Re: Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »
I find it funny, usually it is warming up this late in February.  Or the 50 degree days we had a few weeks ago in the middle of January.  Something about this is strange.  Why are the climates changing?  Hmm...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:17:32 AM »
And yet, here in Virginia, we haven't had squat for nothing in the way of snow.

Last month we had several days of 60+ temperatures. Two weeks ago it was 74 deg. at 1 p.m. until a cold front came through.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
I find it funny, usually it is warming up this late in February.  Or the 50 degree days we had a few weeks ago in the middle of January.  Something about this is strange.  Why are the climates changing?  Hmm...
Yeah!  Why would a planetary-scale system that relies on a complex balance of ecological and geological factors, as well as thermal input from a cyclically-variable fusion reactor in the sky, continue to fluctuate in a manner consistent with thousands of years of historical data?  Why isn't it the same temperature each day of each year as it was last year?  It makes no sense!

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »
Well, I'm cold.

Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:26:26 AM »
March.... In like a lion and out like a lamb.

So I'm hoping for a warm entry into April. Last year it was butt ass cold the first week of April.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 11:35:41 AM »

Because that's what they have been doing for billions of years without our input?

Owl Gore is a fraud that has found a way to ride the money train of contrived global warming hysteria.

Carbon credits anyone? Get them at Owl's Carbon Credit Emporium. Cash, checks, credit cards and money orders accepted.

Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »

Yeah!  Why would a planetary-scale system that relies on a complex balance of ecological and geological factors, as well as thermal input from a cyclically-variable fusion reactor in the sky, continue to fluctuate in a manner consistent with thousands of years of historical data?  Why isn't it the same temperature each day of each year as it was last year?  It makes no sense!

-BP

CARBON EMISSIONS!  WERE ALL GONNA DIE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:52:33 AM »
And yet, here in Virginia, we haven't had squat for nothing in the way of snow.

Last month we had several days of 60+ temperatures. Two weeks ago it was 74 deg. at 1 p.m. until a cold front came through.

"haven't had squat for nothing" ... hmmm,

So your'e saying you've actually had squat for something?  laugh

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »
Oddly enough, the last 5 years we've had measurable snow on December 5.

The last time we had much of a winter at all, though, was 2003, right around Valentine's Day.

Ended up having 20 some inches.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 12:37:49 PM »
For all you global warming scoffers, science has finally proven the doomsayers correct:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,332429,00.html

we've only got a billion years left before the slowly expanding sun boils off the oceans and reduces our planet to an uninhabitable cinder

Our home planet will be snagged by the sun's outer atmosphere, gradually plunging to its doom inside the fiery stellar furnace.

shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 12:39:09 PM »
For all you global warming scoffers, science has finally proven the doomsayers correct:

we've only got a billion years left before the slowly expanding sun boils off the oceans and reduces our planet to an uninhabitable cinder

Our home planet will be snagged by the sun's outer atmosphere, gradually plunging to its doom inside the fiery stellar furnace.

shocked

This is why it's important to find planets elsewhere, and keep developing space technology. Eventually, we either need to find another place to live, or if technology is sufficiently advanced by that time...move the planet.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 01:52:51 PM »
Can we offer liberals as a sacrifice to appease the sun? grin

Cold and snowy here in Northern Indiana.  Of course, *looks around* it's February and it's always cold in February here.

If Al Gore moved to say . . . South Bend this Global Warming nonsense would stop tomorrow.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 03:10:48 AM »
here in the catskill mtns we are expecting snow and ice today, but we have only had a total of six days when we could use the village ice rink this winter. when i was growing up we had ice from thanksgiving to easter.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 06:34:33 AM »

shocked

Darn that George Bush and Dick Cheney his cronies at Haliburton.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 07:55:22 AM »
Can we offer liberals as a sacrifice to appease the sun?

I'd think to make the appropriate sacrifice, we'd have to burn them .......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

The Viking

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 08:00:07 AM »

Alive? grin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 08:08:19 AM »

Alive?

Whatever the sun demands......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 08:38:15 AM »
I had the 'pleasure' of watching Algore's Inconvenient Truth for one of my classes. It wasn't nearly as miserable as I thought it would be... pretty well done piece of fiction. Waxed silly and sentimental from time to time... but one thing that was admitted was that plants take care of carbon dioxide. During the spring and summer months in the northern hemisphere, levels aren't so high. In the winter, they're up - since most vegetation's in the northern hemisphere. It seemed to me that these longer summers would take care of the carbon problem. Longer summers mean longer plant growth. More plant growth means more CO2 chewed up.
He also indicated that heavier cloud cover would mean the the sun's rays couldn't reflect off so well, while ignoring that they also couldn't get in so well.
It's awfully cold here in Texas, too... 48 degrees at the moment.

Was the groundhog right or wrong this time around?

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 07:33:04 PM »

Nope--too much carbon, and we can't risk putting that much patchouli into the atmosphere.  No, we'll have to bury them.  As an added advantage, though, in a few million years we can dig them back up as coal and oil.                                             

grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 05:57:34 AM »

Nope--too much carbon, and we can't risk putting that much patchouli into the atmosphere.  No, we'll have to bury them.  As an added advantage, though, in a few million years we can dig them back up as coal and oil.                                             

grin

Finally a practical use for a lefty.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Rocketman56

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 08:49:57 AM »
Antibubba:
dig them back up as coal and oil.

Hmm, coal, maybe..  Diamonds, maybe..  Not oil.. that's a different process...   grin  (Great thought, though!)

Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"