Author Topic: Digital SLR Kit  (Read 4932 times)

only1asterisk

• friend
Digital SLR Kit
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »
Looking for the best deal in a digital SLR. Whatever I get, I'll need a medium zoom and a wide zoom lense.  The whole thing has to come in for under 1k.

Suggestions?

David

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Digital SLR Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »
Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

The "officiaL kit comes with an 18-55 zoom that, while not a pro lens by any stretch, will do fine for everyday work.  Get the Tamron 55-200 zoom to finish out the kit.

Or you could get the body and pick up a Tamron 18-200 zoom (just check B&H and it's running about $380).

I would search evilBay and see if you can pick up a lightly used setup from someone trading up, over, or out.  I bet with a little patience you could find exactly what you want.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:50:13 AM »
Why buy a name brand body if you're gonna put a 2nd tier lens on it?

A body is a body, they're just light tight boxes, it's the glass that matters.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:00:49 AM »
Agreed, but the XTi is a known commodity and are starting to drop in price now that the XSi (450D) is out.  You can get a new USA Warranty body for under six bills.  It has enough resolution for 300 dpi enlargements up to 20x30 and more features than most amateurs will ever want or need.  Plus, it gives you the ability to use any Canon EOS or EOS-compatible lens, including the incredible Canon L-Series.

The kit lens won't win any resolution contests but it's fine for generic snapshots.  For the price the Tamron lens is no slouch, either.  In testing it does very well for everyday photography.  Besides, they are stand-ins until enough pennies can be saved for better glass.

For his price point it's a pretty good setup.  More than enough camera body to satisfy even hard-core amateur shutterbugs, and the ability to grow into better glass when experience and finances allow.

Of course, he could also picked up a lightly used (or maybe even NIB) 300d for $250-300 and blow the rest of his wad on a single spectacular lens like the 24-70 f/2.8L.  Pick up the Tamron zoom to fill in the upper zoom range and then start saving for a Canon 70-200 f/4.0L or /2.8L.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:08:19 AM »
I have an Olympus Evolt E-500 that I love. It came with 14-45mm and 45-150mm lenses.

I like it.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:10:28 AM »
Hi, I'm Chris and I'm a photo luddite.

I use an Olympus OM-1 with 50mm f1.8 and a Nikon N80 with 24mm, 50mm, and 70-210mm lenses.  Smiley

Chris

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »
I have a Pentax *ist DS that has been great. It came with a 18-55 mm lens for about $599 if I remember right. The automatic white balance is not the best, but other than that it takes great pictures.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »
Hi, I'm Chris and I'm a photo luddite.

I use an Olympus OM-1 with 50mm f1.8 and a Nikon N80 with 24mm, 50mm, and 70-210mm lenses.  Smiley

Chris

If you get a new Olympus digital SLR, you can get an adapter to use the old OM series lenses. It's just an "OM to Olympus 4:3 adapter ring" off eBay.  smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:19:28 AM »
Yeah, but I *like* my OM1.  Enough that I had it CLAed by Camtech two years ago. 

I the feel and work flow of a manual SLR.

Chris

only1asterisk

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
How does the Nikon D80 compare to the Canon?

David

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »
Get the Rebel XTi.  The other bodies mentioned are perfectly good cameras too, but they don't have the Canon lens mount.  That means that the lens selection available for the other bodies will be severely limited. 

Go to http://www.photozone.de/reviews
Look over the various Canon zoom lenses in the focal ranges you want.  Some of the 3rd party lenses perform quite respectably. 

Realize that ALL zoom lenses, even the uber-expensive Canon L-series lenses, are a compromise.  They all sacrifice something for the ability to change focal length.  Do you really need a zoom lens?  Quality prime lenses tend to be much cheaper than comparable zooms.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 11:24:34 AM »
I've never liked Canon digitals, they just don't feel right, and feel like they're trying too hard to be "prosumer" instead of "professional".

I like the Olympus precisely because it's got the same solidity in my hand as my old OM-10, and they even kept the same upper bezel with the same font as the old 35mm Olympus cameras. It feels like a 35mm that just happens to record on a CF or microdrive instead.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »
I don't know if there are more Canon mount lenses than Nikon mount (not that it matters, most folks don't really need more than 1-3 lenses anyway), but Nikon is doing their best to make existing lenses useless with their new cameras.  First, it was making older lenses not meter with newer bodies like the N80, now their D40 won't meter with modern AF lenses unless they're the "G" variant lenses.  Thanks Nikon.

I'd consider buying a D40 if I could use my current lenses.

Do you really need a zoom lens?

I do 90% of my shooting with a 50mm.  I have a 24mm for big scenics or tight spaces and the 70-210 when I need reach.  If I don't know what I'll be shooting and I want to travel light, I just take the 50mm.

Chris

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »
I like uberwide lenses, and getting in the middle of things...

And, for what it's worth, a 6 megapixel can go up to about 3x4 without a lot of major problems, as long as you don't plan to get right on top of it to look at it...

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 01:09:28 PM »
Any SLR I see for sale now is an 8-10 megapixel.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »
And, for what it's worth, a 6 megapixel can go up to about 3x4 without a lot of major problems, as long as you don't plan to get right on top of it to look at it...

Depends on what "it" is... grin

Brad
-HankB

nico

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »
If you aren't already tied to one manufacturer because of lenses, you can't go wrong with the Nikon D40 kit that comes with the 18-200 VR lens.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 01:38:16 PM »
The D40 can't use a number of Nikon lenses - no in-body motor to focus, and I think the in-body meter may not couple. Not a big deal if all you plan to use current zooms, but if you want to dip into slightly older (and excellent) autofocus primes, you're SOL.

For digital I prefer Canon (and own Canon) because their lineup is more suited to my desires - fast primes, and a now-affordable full-frame dSLR.

I like the Pentax line, they have a solid lens lineup and history of good film products. The Olympus cameras are interesting as well. They're all good, just try until you find one that fits your hand best.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »
I have a nikon d80 with a 18-135 lens. you can get that new for around that price. plus its 10.2 mp
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »
You can get the new Sony A-200 with 18-70mm and 75-300mm lenses for $900. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
IMHO, and I used to be a pro shooter, I've seen better quality from the camera companies than from the electronics companies. Even on the point and shoots, the glass is better, etc... I -had- a 3.2 megapixel canon that I -really- liked, gave it to Emma... Got a Canon A570, and it's just a tad bit slower to use... Just enough to make me twitch.

Blog under construction

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 06:25:16 PM »
I really like my EFS 10-20

Its really wide
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 06:28:23 PM »
IMHO, and I used to be a pro shooter, I've seen better quality from the camera companies than from the electronics companies. Even on the point and shoots, the glass is better, etc... I -had- a 3.2 megapixel canon that I -really- liked, gave it to Emma... Got a Canon A570, and it's just a tad bit slower to use... Just enough to make me twitch.

S30 or so??

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 06:44:54 PM »
I'm debating the purchase of a Ricoh GR-D2 compact - 28mm fixed lens, low shutter lag, manual focus if you want it (not that focusing is needed with that tiny sensor). Expensive (~$800 w/ external viewfinder), but I can try writing off half of it for work ('construction documentation') and the B&W images I've seen look very similar to 35mm film.

Once you get above the Rebel/D40 class, Canon and Nikon dSLRs are tanks. Even the Olympii aren't as small as I'd wish with their zoom lenses.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »
Is there a digital P&S out there that is as quick as a film camera?  A few years ago, there wasn't.  The dSLRs are, but I want something very portable for biking and whatnot.  Playing with the cameras in the stores, I haven't found anything that doesn't have a noticeable lag when you press the shutter button.

Makes me miss my Ricoh R1 terribly. Sad

Chris