Author Topic: Royalist Opinion  (Read 6428 times)

agricola

• friend
Royalist Opinion
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:00:43 AM »
Given how easy it would be for him not to have gone, and that he strove to go despite very clear dangers to himself, hats off to Prince Harry (along with everyone else who is over there) for having the guts to go:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7269743.stm

... and shame on the foriegn media outlets that put him and his men at risk. 

edit:  and according to the Guardian, he is serving out there as a FAC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/28/military.afghanistan1
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Paddy

Re: Royalist Opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:11:12 AM »
He's got some stones and serves as an example to our elitist U.S. politicians who talk pro war but make sure their sons and daughters don't have to serve.  Shameful hypocrites. 

I'd love to name names, but the kneejerkers here would scream '**** bashing' for pointing out the truth.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:43:59 AM »
He's got some stones and serves as an example to our elitist U.S. politicians who talk pro war but make sure their sons and daughters don't have to serve.  Shameful hypocrites. 

I'd love to name names, but the kneejerkers here would scream '**** bashing' for pointing out the truth.

isnt one of McCain's sons in / has been in Iraq?
"Make peace, you fools"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »
Bully to Prince Harry.

IIRC his uncle Andrew served in the Falklands Conflict as a helicopter pilot flying troops and supplies into some pretty hot areas.

Senator Jim Webb's son is also serving/served in Iraq.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:37:32 PM »
Good for him.

I think that about 30% of the US Congress served in the military themselves.  I don't know how many have kids in the military.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »
IIRC his uncle Andrew served in the Falklands Conflict as a helicopter pilot flying troops and supplies into some pretty hot areas.

Actually, I read somewhere that he and other pilots were using the choppers to decoy missiles aimed at British ships.  Get in between the missile and the ship, and get the missile to lock in on the chopper as the nearest target.  Then lead the missile away from the ship, and finally raise up at the last minute to let the missile pass underneath the chopper and harmlessly out to sea.  shocked

Sort of like what was pictured in Hunt for Red October, when the USS Dallas decoyed the torpedo away from Red October and then blew straight up to the surface to evade destruction.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

agricola

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 12:58:33 PM »

Actually, I read somewhere that he and other pilots were using the choppers to decoy missiles aimed at British ships.  Get in between the missile and the ship, and get the missile to lock in on the chopper as the nearest target.  Then lead the missile away from the ship, and finally raise up at the last minute to let the missile pass underneath the chopper and harmlessly out to sea.  shocked

Sort of like what was pictured in Hunt for Red October, when the USS Dallas decoyed the torpedo away from Red October and then blew straight up to the surface to evade destruction.

you yanks use chaff, we use royalty.  i guess we just have more class  grin
"Make peace, you fools"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 01:09:29 PM »
i guess we just have more class 

You sound just like Annie James  grin  http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0120783/

I can think of a few of our politicians (Royal PITA's) that I'd like to use for missile decoys Wink   

TK and HC to start off with laugh

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

agricola

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 01:49:52 PM »
TK and HC to start off with laugh

one would have thought the inbound would be more concerned with avoiding HC... perhaps it would be better to put her on the bow?  better than a "dont tread on me" flag anyday... probably the sea would get out of the way as well, come to think of it.
"Make peace, you fools"

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »
God bless 'im.

As for our own political super-soldiers, I think Teddy K would make a good SEAL.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 02:15:19 PM »
I think Teddy K would make a good SEAL.

Yep... definitely shows aptitude for driving a submersible vehicle and night landfalls on shore.  Not much of a team player though.  sad
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 02:19:45 PM »
Shame on the media for exposing him and putting his fellow soldiers, and him, at risk.

He was with the best possible protection, though! A Gurkha regiment. Apparently, the insurgents are scared to death of those and with good reason. Those big knives they carry are not just for show. Serious badasses.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
I thought the Argentines had only something like 5 Exocet missiles and at least 3 of them hit ships.  At least that is what I thought I heard.

Good for Harry though.  I like that quote of his that this was about as close as he was ever going to get to being a normal person.  Funny yet sort of sad.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

agricola

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 02:30:04 PM »
Shame on the media for exposing him and putting his fellow soldiers, and him, at risk.

He was with the best possible protection, though! A Gurkha regiment. Apparently, the insurgents are scared to death of those and with good reason. Those big knives they carry are not just for show. Serious badasses.

indeed, and they do have history in that part of the world:

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/angloafghanwar/marchtokandahar/regiments_march.php
"Make peace, you fools"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
Damn, I didn't know the Gurkhas had that much time as part of the British Army.  I thought they were formed during WWI.  Although, I guess I should have known.  It's not like the English weren't in India at that point.  Not sure why I would have thought they hadn't made their way further east.

Anyway, I heard that The Drudge Report broke this story.  Does anyone know if this is true?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 08:09:15 PM »

The Pahtan tribesmen are the ones who ran the British, including Gurkhas, out of Afghanistan.  And then Russia.  It's not a culture of people that are scared of big knives, or much of anything.  It's definitely the most war-like, stone aged, and just plain tough culture of people I've ever come across.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »
Damn, I didn't know the Gurkhas had that much time as part of the British Army.  I thought they were formed during WWI.  Although, I guess I should have known.  It's not like the English weren't in India at that point.  Not sure why I would have thought they hadn't made their way further east.

Anyway, I heard that The Drudge Report broke this story.  Does anyone know if this is true?

they have been part of the Army since the Anglo - Nepalese War of 1814-1816, when we were so impressed by the way that they fought we decided to beat them, then employ them   grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Nepalese_War
"Make peace, you fools"

agricola

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 12:55:57 AM »

yes, it is true (albeit two smaller media outlets had leaked it, but this wasnt picked up):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/princes-cover-in-afghanistan-blown-by-drudge-report-789335.html

"Make peace, you fools"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 01:20:23 AM »
Give 'em hell, Harry!.....  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 01:37:23 AM »
The Daily Mail gave him a crapload of pages today, seeing as it had already been leaked. He finally seems to be content with life, now that he is with his fellow men on the front lines. Good for him.  grin
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 03:06:29 AM »
I am absolutely amazed that the British media actually agreed to keep this quite.  The government must have made a deal with the devil.  As for Drudge, I hope he burns.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 03:44:54 AM »

Maybe not...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/02/29/prince.afghanistan/index.html

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 04:12:32 AM »
By D'ARCY DORAN, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 34 minutes ago

LONDON - Britain's defense chief decided Friday to immediately pull Prince Harry out of Afghanistan after news of his deployment was leaked on the U.S. Web site the Drudge Report.

Air Chief Marshal Jock Stirrup, chief of the Defense Staff, said he decided to withdraw the prince after senior commanders assessed the risks, the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

Harry, third in line to the British throne, has been serving on the front line with an army unit in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province since mid-December. He was originally due to return to Britain within weeks, but "the situation has now clearly changed," the statement said.

The decision was based on concerns that worldwide media coverage of Harry in Afghanistan could put him and his comrades at increased risk.

The ministry asked the media not to speculate on Harry's location  or how and when he would return  until he was back in Britain.

British officials had hoped to keep Prince Harry's deployment secret until he had safely returned, but they released video of him serving in Helmand Province after the leak appeared on the Drudge Report.

The ministry deplored the leak by "elements of the foreign media."

"However, this was a circumstance that we have always been aware of and one for which we have had contingency plans in place," the statement said.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the prince had demonstrated that he was an exemplary young officer. "The whole of Britain will be proud of the outstanding service he is giving," he said.

Harry, 23, is the first royal to serve in a combat zone since his uncle Prince Andrew flew helicopters during Britain's war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands in 1982.

Tours to Afghanistan usually last six months; Harry has served 10 weeks.

Harry conceded in an interview filmed last week that when he returns to Britain he could be a "top target" for Islamic terrorists.

"Once this ... comes out, every single person that supports them will be trying to slot me," he said.

The deployment plan had been disclosed to reporters, with no specific date, but was not reported previously because of an agreement between the Ministry of Defense and all major news organizations operating in Britain, including The Associated Press. The news blackout was intended to reduce the risk to the prince and his regiment.

Harry was supposed to go to Iraq with the Blues and Royals regiment in May last year but the assignment was canceled because of security fears. Iraqi insurgents made threats on Internet chat rooms, saying he would not make it home alive.

Harry trained at Sandhurst military academy and joined the Blues and Royals as a cornet, the cavalry regiment's equivalent of a second lieutenant. After being held back from his Iraq assignment, the prince threatened to quit the army if he was not given the chance to see combat.

Harry said his older brother, William, who also graduated from Sandhurst and is training as a military pilot, is jealous of his deployment. As Britain's likely future king, Prince William is unlikely ever to see combat.

Helmand province is where most of the 7,800 British soldiers in Afghanistan are based. It has seen some of the country's fiercest combat in recent years, with NATO-led forces fighting the Taliban and al-Qaida militants.

Harry's work in Afghanistan has involved calling in airstrikes on Taliban positions as well as going out on foot patrols. He spent part of his deployment at a base 500 yards from Taliban positions, the military said.

Since Harry's arrival, his battle group has been responsible for around 30 enemy deaths, a Ministry of Defense official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information.

Video showed the prince in camouflage fatigues walking across arid and dusty terrain, calling in air support, firing a machine gun and patrolling the streets of Garmsir, the southernmost part of the province. He has since left Garmsir, and his current whereabouts are being kept secret.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 05:03:50 AM »
Did Drudge leak the story himself or did he just link to another site someone sent him?  Odds are good that if he found the link, you can assume the wrong people would also find it very quickly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

agricola

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 05:19:58 AM »
Did Drudge leak the story himself or did he just link to another site someone sent him?  Odds are good that if he found the link, you can assume the wrong people would also find it very quickly. 

He broke it - the story was in an Australian womens magazine earlier this month, which was ignored by everyone it seems up until Drudge found it, contacted the MoD and appears to have told them he would run it anyway despite the media blackout which (without exception) the UK Press and larger international media outlets had agreed to.

Perhaps the Taliban might have picked it up from the original source - i suppose if the next batch of prisoners turn out to be following a detox beach diet and copying rose byrnes beauty tips we will know they did.
"Make peace, you fools"