Author Topic: Stockholm Syndrome  (Read 935 times)

Polishrifleman

• friend
Stockholm Syndrome
« on: February 29, 2008, 09:17:07 AM »
Did anyone read the story about the starved exchange student in Egypt.  The reference to "Stockholm Syndrome" brought back great memories of DIE HARD! grin

Still, McCullum did not complain to his parents. His father suspects he may have fallen victim to Stockholm syndrome, in which people start to feel a sense of loyalty to those who victimize them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23375427/

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: Stockholm Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:36:37 PM »
His father suspects he may have fallen victim to Stockholm syndrome, in which people start to feel a sense of loyalty to those who victimize them.

Isn't that just the unconditional love that holds families together?
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »

It might actually be.

I seriously do wonder if it's a primate survival instinct. aka "Yeah, the alpha-male beats the snot out of me, but going against him means I'll be tossed out of the tribe, and the sabertooths will eat me if I'm out there alone."
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:53:40 PM »
His father suspects he may have fallen victim to Stockholm syndrome, in which people start to feel a sense of loyalty to those who victimize them.

I thought that was what holds the Republican Party together  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin