Author Topic: Choosing a Digital Camera (Revisited)  (Read 1831 times)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Choosing a Digital Camera (Revisited)
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:47:06 PM »
A while back I was contemplating a new camera.  Finances are such that we can start thinking in earnest.  I know that many photographers/camera buffs are active partipents of this board.

I am having trouble deciding on what type of camera.  I am stuck deciding between a DSLR and a Super Zoom.  I will admit that I am drawn to the DSLR.

The DSLR I am looking at is the Olympus EVOLT E-510.  ($640)
The Super Zoom I am drooling over is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50.  ($440)

Do I really need to spend $640 on a camera.  Is a DSLR worth $200 more. 

I enjoyed taking pictures of my son and wish I had a better camera.  But until I have another child I don't think I will get TONS of use out of the camera.  I just want to take excellent photos.  I am going to Alaska in July and I know that I will get use out of a camera then.

How do you decide how much camera you need.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Choosing a Digital Camera (Revisited)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:04:04 AM »
Others more knowledgable will be along in a moment...

I personally bought a used Nikon D70 because I can easily expand the capibilities of that camera with additional lenses.  And, if you buy good glass (AKA Nikkor), you can always upgrade the body later as well.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 07:11:40 AM »
SuperZoom point & shoots are great if all you need is a camera, but you are locked into that configuration forever.  If you plan to expand/play/experiment, go DSLR.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:43:01 AM »
I have several point and shoots that I use for various purposes, weather-resistant for bicycling or hiking, etc.   But I also have a Canon 20D DSLR and an assortment of nice glass.  I agree with Brad that as your skills and interests grow, the flexibility of a DSLR wins hands down.  I personally think that a Canon XTi variant is a very cost-effective choice.  Canon and Nikon are by far the largest players in the market, and more third-party lens makers make glass in Canon mounts.  Pentax, Olympus and Sony also make DSLRs but can be hobbled by a proprietary lens mount system not supported by very many third-party makers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:19:39 AM »
If the difference is only $200, buy the DSLR. The capability of interchanging lenses is worth well more than $200.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »
Let me put it another way.

Whats the best way to convince the wife that we should spend an extra $200 on a camera...

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:32:44 AM »
Let me put it another way.
Whats the best way to convince the wife that we should spend an extra $200 on a camera...

"Honey, would you rather spend less money on [shoes / a purse / a dress / whatever her particular weak spot is] that you could only use for a couple of occasions before it goes out of style, or would you rather that I buy you a really nice [whatever] that goes with everything?"

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 09:40:12 AM »
dosn't work..

damn be for marrying a woman with a head on her shoulders.

No we are focused on debt right now.... credit cards down to zero.  1 car paid off, 1 car less then $3,000 from being paid off, then its going to be paying off the truck.. (yeah we have 3 vehicles... yeah it was excessive..but we have a spare vehicle....that hauls crap)

She doesn't splurge on clothing or shoes.. unless the dog eats a pair.... or purses...

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 09:48:05 AM »
Hmm.  Ok, different tack:

"Honey, for the love of God, I've had a cat crawl into my mouth!  I deserve a nice camera!"  You can point at your avatar plaintively as you say this.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »
Well, you don't have to spend that extra $200 for a DSLR just to get a DSLR.

You can still get the 8MP Canon Rebel XT (350d) kit with the 18-55 Canon lens new from B&H for $459.  You can find the body only for $389, or lightly used on evilBay for under three bills.  Throw a Sigma 28-300 on it ($249 from B&H, around $200 lightly used) and you have a true 8MP SLR with 10x optical zoom for around $550.  When you have enough pennies saved for better glass, liquidate the Sigma on evilBay and use the money to trade up.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
the reason why I am stuck on the olympus is he wife was able to pick it up and use it.  She felt it was user friendly and sh ewould have no problem pointing and clicking and getting a happy result.

And truth be told.. I liked the Live-view LCD.  It will make the transition from cheap point and shoot to better images easier. That may be why the wife was drawn to the olympus too.

I am not sure why the Rebel seems to be everyones favorite entry level DSLR. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 11:02:52 AM »

Their popularity is easy to explain - features vs price, ease of use (as in sinfully so), and complete, absolute, 100% compatibility with the entire line of Canon EOS EF and EF-S lenses.

You can go full manual and experiment to your heart's desire.  Your wife can turn it to the little green Full Auto setting and fire away without doing anything more complex than looking through the veiwfinder.

Any DSLR will have a full auto setting.  The main reason I like Canon is the lens compatibility.  I already had a stable full of Canon lenses and was able to used every single one of them on my D-Reb body.  Some other mfgs have not been so kind to their brand-loyal consumers, having major lens compatibility issues with their digital SLR bodies (the Nikon D40 being a notable example).

Brad
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »
the reason why I am stuck on the olympus is he wife was able to pick it up and use it.  She felt it was user friendly and sh ewould have no problem pointing and clicking and getting a happy result.

And truth be told.. I liked the Live-view LCD.  It will make the transition from cheap point and shoot to better images easier. That may be why the wife was drawn to the olympus too.

The Digital Rebel is everyone's favorite because it is hands down the best deal going. Canon cameras have always been known for being user-friendly and for producing top quality photographs. If your wife wants point-n-click, the Rebel offers that. In fact, it offers several modes of that, with the most satisfactory (i.e. the "smartest") being the program mode. It also offers the option of shooting through the view finder or using the LCD. Being an old film camera type, I greatly prefer the view finder, and there is a lot to be said for being able to see EXACTLY what you're taking. That's the argument in favor of a DSLR. You see what you're taking, not an electronic translation of what the camera thinks the photo might look like if nothing goes wrong.

I also prefer manual focus over auto-focus. I guess that's why my ex-wife labeled me a control freak. When I take a picture, I want what I choose as the subject to be in focus, not what some sensor buried in the lens thinks should be in focus.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 01:41:26 PM »
It sounds like you don't need the SLR.  If all you want to do is take good snapshots of your kids, the SLR is overkill.  The SLR is good if you're into serious photography and need to use manual or semi-manual modes often.  But if you just want some quick and easy snapshots, definitely stick with the point and shoot.

The Rebel is popular because it's the entry-level camera in Canon's lineup.  When you buy an SLR body, you're not just buying a camera, you're buying into one particular camera system.  Canon has the best SLR system on the market right now.  Nikon comes in a close second.  While Olympus and Pentax and Sony and all the others make fine cameras, their dSLR systems just can't compete. 

Live View is cool, but don't let it sway you towards one camera over another.  Pretty soon all dSLRs will have it.  For example, Canon is about to introduce a new Rebel body with a 12MP sensor and Live View.  Not sure about the cost, though.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 01:53:49 PM »
Canon is about to introduce a new Rebel body with a 12MP sensor and Live View.  Not sure about the cost, though.

That's the new Digital Rebel XSi (450D).  B&H is showing a price of $899 - about what the XT and XTi debuted at.

Brad
-HankB