Author Topic: Jury Duty  (Read 6525 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Jury Duty
« on: March 06, 2008, 11:41:10 AM »
Gah, just got the mail and yup, I've been called to serve a juror.

Any ideas what I should expect?  They sent me a little piece of paper which made for nice all be it brief reading of stuff I already knew even never having served as one.

Main question is if I am dismissed during selection is that it and I'm done?  Or do I sort of ride the merry go round until the jurors like me enough or the court just decides I'm just an unlikeable fellow wasting the courts time and sends me home?

Or does that vary quite a bit?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Jury Duty
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »
Municipal?  County?  Federal?  Each has a different system of deferences when it comes to being called or actually serving.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:47:25 AM »
good point lol

Anderson county SC
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:49:43 AM »
As far as being "done", you're not done until they send you home.  They will probably have a papertrail from start to end.  I went into a jury selection pool and didn't make the "cut" once.  They told me I was dismissed and to have a good day.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »
Is jury-duty selection a random process?  Are there disqualifiers that will get you rejected from a jury pool even before voir dire?  I've been registered to vote since I was 18, and never once have I been selected.  I've lived where I am now for 8+ years, and judging by my tax bills, Prince William County, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the Federal Government all know where to find me.  So what gives?

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:57:48 AM »
I think it's random and I have to fill out a sheet and send it in within three days, one section is disqualifies.  I find one amusing "Under sixth grade education"  wth?  I'm being discriminated against because of my education!!!  grin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 11:58:58 AM »
I've been called to jury duty several times - only once did I end up serving on a jury. (Guy was fighting a traffic ticket, and defended himself. Bad decision.  rolleyes )

A couple of times, they just kept jurors waiting around until the people settled - either plea bargain or some other arrangement - after which we were dismissed, and that was the end of it. More than once I was disqualified during questioning because one side or the other didn't like my answers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

onions!

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »

Main question is if I am dismissed during selection is that it and I'm done?  Or do I sort of ride the merry go round until the jurors like me enough or the court just decides I'm just an unlikeable fellow wasting the courts time and sends me home?

Or does that vary quite a bit?

In my city you go through the selection process (voire diere(?sp)damn Frenchies anyways!:))once & you're done.

In the neighboring town it's different.If you don't get picked you get recycled for up to two weeks,IIRC.

Jury Duty is fun.Enjoy a view of the process you'll hopefully never have to see up close.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »
BP, consider me jealous.  I've gotten the notification every year since I've been 18, including years when I was supposed to have been exempt thanks to previous trial duty.  I've been picked twice, once back in Connecticut and once here in Philadelphia.

A few tips: most courtrooms ban camera phones or make you check them with security before you can go up.  Here in Philly, that line was like a 20 minute wait, so every day but the first I just left mine at home.  Because of the general stupidity of your fellow potential jurors, nothing starts anywhere close to on time, so don't kill yourself getting there early (unless you want the free bagels or whatever they put out in the morning) and definitely bring a book.

As for your main questions, it really depends on the caseload for the day and when you get picked.  The absolute best case scenario is to get picked for a federal trial, which is almost always in a different building than the one you report to.  If you don't get pass voire dire for that federal case, that's it, you get to go home instead of reporting back to the state court.  The worst case is getting picked in one of the early groups.  If you don't get chosen for the first trial, you go back to the same room and wait to get picked again for another trial.  The cycle repeats until you get chosen or they don't need jurors anymore, and there's no way to predict when that will be.  Once, I got chosen for one of the later groups, flunked voir dire, and was told at 12:45pm I could just go home.  Another time I was there past four.

The only good thing about getting picked for a trial is that judges have better hours than anyone on Earth, including bankers and postal employees.  The trials I served on never started before 10 or 11am, and we were almost always out by 3 or 4.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 03:15:15 AM »
I have been summoned twice and served on a jury twice.  My bad luck I guess. 

Down here, they bring in a bunch for a pool.  They select anywhere from 40 to 80 to go sit for a jury selection.  If you are not picked, you go home.  When I got picked for a small claims trial, they only had about 20 and selected 6. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:21:51 AM »
Don't kid yourself Vodka,

Prior to 10 a.m. the judge was probably dealing with motions, pleadings, arraignment (if on that calendar), etc.

It's not a banker's job.

My former father in law was a White Plains, NY, city judge and he worked his ass off every day. 10 hour days or longer were common.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 06:25:01 AM »
And wear you FIJA shirt.  If you don't have one, Bogie can get ya one.  grin

If you ask nicely, Mike might let you borrow his home-made lethal injection machine to take with.   angel
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 06:30:32 AM »
"Oh, that guy? He's guilty as hell!"

Go back home.

grin
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 07:55:46 AM »
Repeat after me.
"I hate <insert racial, ethnic, religious, or sexual group here>"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 09:28:16 AM »
Lupinus: "Your Honor, we the jury find the defendant guilty, not just guilty, but stupifyingly, moronically guilty Guilty, GUILTY !! and sentence him to death."

Judge: "That's nice Mr. Lupinus.  Now, can we start the trial ??"

Faking Tourette's syndrome during voir dire is another fun thing to do....... grin

guiltyguiltygulityguiltyguiltyDEATHBYHANGINGguiltyguiltygulityguiltyguilty
KILLTHELAWYERSKILLTHELAWYERSKILLTHELAWYERSguiltyguiltygulityguiltyguilty

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 10:44:21 AM »
I've only been called once in my life.  I spent a week on grand jury.  No courtroom to deal with and it was fairly interesting, at least for a while.  Although I did have to stop at one point and get them to decide if I should be there when I realized one of the cases was whether to indict the son of a friend of mine.    shocked

As for all the "tricks" to get out of jury duty, please don't.  People who pull that crap apparently don't understand the concept of civic duty.  They're great citizens right up until it becomes inconvenient.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 11:10:41 AM »
"Oh, that guy? He's guilty as hell!"

Go back home.

grin

I actually saw something similar happen a few years ago.  Three young black guys were about to be tried for multiple armed robberies and sexual assault.  I don't remember the question asked, but it probably was about the range of sentencing.  One older Mexican lady raised her hand and when called to answer, stood, pointed at the defendants, and said something like, "I think you should hang all their asses right now!"  After an outburst of laughter by everyone in the courtroom (except the defendants), she was excused.  As it turned out, they were all found guilty and sentenced to ninety-nine years.
For entertainment purposes only.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 11:42:39 AM »
Hmmm, I've had clients that were stupifyingly guilty.  Those cases get settled. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »
Hmmm, I've had clients that were stupifyingly guilty.  Those cases get settled. grin

laugh laugh

Have any of them come back to thank you?

I think most defense lawyers around here would rather plead baby Jesus guilty than mess with a trial, but this was one of those big media cases where the DA wasn't going to offer much, and the defendants figured they didn't have much to lose, even if they lost.  They were wrong, obviously.  I knew the attorneys for each of them - all experienced guys that have handled almost nothing but criminal defense for 30+ years.  It was one of those times you just have to step in there with your stupefyingly guilty client and take your black eye (and payment).  That's one reason I avoid the criminal work.  grin
For entertainment purposes only.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 04:44:24 PM »
crt360: I actually did something like that on my first time called to jury duty. When the defense attorney asked me if I could be impartial, I replied that I could not because his defendant's body language indicated that he did the crime (psychology was my hobby before it became my profession). The judge immediately dismissed me.....

...an hour later, the defendant copped a plea.

Even after living in three different counties in 18 years, I've never been selected to sit on a jury since.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 05:52:37 PM »
My brother said something of that sort when called to jury duty.  He said he was honest about it though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

one45auto

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 08:40:50 PM »
I've only served as a juror once and it isn't something I'd care to do again.

It wasn't what I'd expected, that's for sure. The prosecutor was smokin' HOT, so much so that the defendant (who incidentally was on trial for a sexual crime) actually tried to look up her skirt. The arresting officer was an arrogant, cock-sure plick who gave the defendant such a self-satisfied "I got you" smirk on his way to the witness stand that it disgusted everyone on the jury - in fact it inflamed one greying ex-hippie to the point where he actually wanted us to acquit the guy so as to take the officer down a peg. The judge looked bored, the defense attorney as though she'd drawn the short straw, and the defendant curiously non-chalant. There was some tearful testimony, scowls from the family members, and long cross-examinations. Finally we were asked to go and consider our verdict. So far, so good.

However the deliberations were absolutely surreal. It was apparently not a question of evidence but rather who you felt was more believable, the defendant or the victim. One businessman just wanted to convict in order to get the hell out of there before rush hour, a couple of ladies were waiting for someone else to tell them how to vote, another wanted someone to convince her that her guilty verdict (based on her gut feeling) was justified, while the others kept running back and forth between third base and home waiting for a dominant personality to emerge. Meanwhile there I was in the middle, trying to be the good little citizen and fairly weighing the evidence to give the guy the benefit of the doubt since portions of the woman's story quite frankly didn't make sense.

Finally the businessman, seeing his chance at getting home in time for dinner quickly slipping away, siezed the opportunity to act as the alpha male and in short order had everyone following his lead like the pied piper. One by one their will cracked under this guy's bullying rhetoric (he even wore down the determined hippie) until they toppled like dominoes and I was the only unswayed member. Given a choice between hanging the jury (and having everyone turn on me like rabid pits bulls) or surrendering and going home early myself, I opted for an early out rather than deal with eleven angry a-holes ganging up to arm-twist me.

Needless to say the guy was convicted. Was he guilty? Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. Only the Lord knows for sure.

I wish I could say that the process restored my faith in the system but in reality it had the opposite effect. If that episode was indicative of most jury deliberations then God help anyone on trial who's innocent because little, if any, attention is paid to the actual evidence. Once in the jury room it's not about the defendant, it about the twelve people. It's a mini Survivor episode, with most people wanting to be told what to do, who to vote for, or how to act so as to relieve them of the responsibility for thinking it through themselves. It's a tribe in search of a chief. Alliances form and once the leader's been established it's a question of slowing but surely wearing down the resistors until conformity rules. Oh, and did I mention we could blow this popsicle stand by four??
"Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another."

~ H.L. Mencken

"I've never killed a man, but I've read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction."

~ Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 08:25:26 AM »
I've always wondered if, in a situation like one45auto's, a fistfight breaks out b/t two or more jurors, that charges could be filed or if it falls under some type of judicial proceedings "immunity"?......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »
I've been called twice.  The first time I sat around for a day or two and got sent home without incident.  The second time I  had training at work that could not be missed or made up, so I called the number for those who can't make it.  It took me to an automated message with several choices, the last being calling to avoid it on this round.  It told me to wait for a clerk to answer and promptly went to a busy signal, forcing me to call again.  And again.  And again.  It was like I was calling Ticketmaster to get Rolling Stones tickets.  I never did get through.  I tried for the whole week and finally gave up.

About eight months later I got a postcard from the courts saying that if I didn't call them to explain my absence that I could be found in contempt.  Anyone want to guess what number I had to call?

If I do get hauled in, all I have to do is have the judge call the number, and I'll be a free man by lunch.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 11:31:49 AM »
I've been called twice.  The first time I sat around for a day or two and got sent home without incident.  The second time I  had training at work that could not be missed or made up, so I called the number for those who can't make it.  It took me to an automated message with several choices, the last being calling to avoid it on this round.  It told me to wait for a clerk to answer and promptly went to a busy signal, forcing me to call again.  And again.  And again.  It was like I was calling Ticketmaster to get Rolling Stones tickets.  I never did get through.  I tried for the whole week and finally gave up.

About eight months later I got a postcard from the courts saying that if I didn't call them to explain my absence that I could be found in contempt.  Anyone want to guess what number I had to call?

If I do get hauled in, all I have to do is have the judge call the number, and I'll be a free man by lunch.

A trip to the jury pool office is probably less hassle than a trip to jail.  Cheaper, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB