Author Topic: MicroBalrog Does Something New! [heh]  (Read 674 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
MicroBalrog Does Something New! [heh]
« on: March 20, 2008, 03:14:37 AM »
So, as some of you know, I'm sort of a translator (sort of, since right now my college life prevents me from taking a lot of work as I would like to).

Normally, I work from home and do written translations. I've been doing so for  the last seven years or so. But just a few days ago, I've been hired to do 'field translation' (that's how we call the line of work where you tag along with someone and translate verbally for them) for a journalist for a reputed US paper who was interviewing Holocaust survivors in Israel.

I love this work. It's almost better than working from home.

It's great! Awesome!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: MicroBalrog Does Something New! [heh]
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:17:50 AM »
Congratulations, MicroBalrog!
I'm very interested in reading the published results. Please keep us informed.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: MicroBalrog Does Something New! [heh]
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 03:40:12 AM »
The reporter in question is working with a very nice lady [and a Holocaust survivor who lost most of her family] who runs a sort of support group for Holocaust survivors and WWII vets, as well as some other people who work with survivors. His research, it seems, focuses more on the condition in which the survivors in Israel live [i.e., embarassing poverty], and the work that is done today to support them by volunteer organizations, rather than their experiences during the Holocaust.

I'm going to point y'all at the paper in question when and if it gets published, because I don't want to look stupid if it doesn't.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner