Author Topic: Where should i go on my road trip?  (Read 3940 times)

TMM

• friend
Where should i go on my road trip?
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
Hey all:
you might remember my post from a while back about what i'd need for a road trip. with that settled, what attractions do you suggest for me to visit? anything at all - parks, restaurants, diners, towns, anything at all....

thanks!

~tmm

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Where should i go on my road trip?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:40:29 PM »
National parks, of course. State parks as well. Talk to the rangers at the visitor center desks- they'll point you to other parks and points of interest in the area. We keep a lot of brochures and the like behind the desk.

Avoid tourist trap restaurants, of course. Finding hole in the wall restaurants and diners if you can, and resorting to fast food if you can't, is probably better than visiting the touristy restaurants. The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, TX is a tourist trap, but not too bad on the food. That's one of the restaurunts with the big steak challange (eat a 72oz steak, plus baked patato, salad, and bread, in under an hour and it's free). The Wall Drugstore that you will see signs for in South Dakota another touristy place. The restaraunt we at at there was horrible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Drug_Store

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TMM

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:31:42 AM »
yup - got all the state parks and national parks down. they're in a book i have called "1000 places to see before you die"...

hole-in-the-walls are definately places i want to go... they're often the best places...
 if it can't find good food, i'll cook my own food. eating out gets expensive...

~tmm

Strings

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 12:38:14 PM »
I'm too lazy to dig out your planned route, so there's only so much advice I can give. I CAN suggest a couple places to avoid like the plague though: Lake of the Ozarks in MO, and Wisconsin Dells in WI.

Another suggestion is to hit the "tourist" type places (natl monuments and suchlike) during the week, and just hide on weekends. less likely to deal with idiots...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 01:10:02 PM »
My little brother did some road tripping through the smokies when he was younger.  He's got some amazing photos of waterfalls and plunge pools he found.  Not sure exactly where they are, but check a guidebook, or some smaller state parks etc out.

Another bit of adivce, anytime you can, avoid taking major freeways, unless you're trying to save time from a point A to point B situation.

Save money by bringing a cooler and making your own breakfast and lunches.  We road tripped alot when I was a kid, and I've had some amazing lunches in state parks, picnic areas, and even some very nice rest areas.

Refresh us on your route and time-table again.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TMM

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 05:11:19 PM »
my route will be planned in accordance to what i want to visit. i have a year to do the traveling, starting approximately the beginning of july 2008 to perhaps mid august 2009. i live in CT, and plan on doing roughly a loop, starting on the north side, looping in california, and coming back through the lower west/southwest/south states.

i most definately will be making my own food. i plan on getting a propane stove and cooler to make most of my own meals, only eating out at places that seem good.

~tmm

TMM

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 05:49:03 PM »
oh, and i just remembered, there was this one place i wanted to check out but i don't know what it was called... has anyone seen the movie "Into The Wild"? if you have, when the main character is traveling across country to Alaska, he goes to a certain place with that young girl he meets.(out in the desert somewhere) it was created (atleast in the movie) by this old-timer, and it's composed of several giant creations of dead wood, car parts, etc... as i remember it, they were painted and colorful... the memory is fading, but i remember REALLY wanting to see it in person as i watched the movie...

thanks

~tmm

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 06:06:01 PM »
Make it a point to see southern Utah. Pretty much everything south of I-70 is incredibly beautiful. It's like being on Mars.

The Viking

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 10:48:32 PM »
oh, and i just remembered, there was this one place i wanted to check out but i don't know what it was called... has anyone seen the movie "Into The Wild"? if you have, when the main character is traveling across country to Alaska, he goes to a certain place with that young girl he meets.(out in the desert somewhere) it was created (atleast in the movie) by this old-timer, and it's composed of several giant creations of dead wood, car parts, etc... as i remember it, they were painted and colorful... the memory is fading, but i remember REALLY wanting to see it in person as i watched the movie...

thanks

~tmm
You thinking about Burning Man? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_man
Hippie festival in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 05:00:43 AM »
I'm too lazy to dig out your planned route, so there's only so much advice I can give. I CAN suggest a couple places to avoid like the plague though: Lake of the Ozarks in MO, and Wisconsin Dells in WI.

Bingo. 

Pigeon Forge should also be avoided at all costs.... I made the mistake of trying to drive THROUGH it during Thanksgiving, and it was 8 lanes of gridlock that took me almost 3 hours to navigate about 6 miles.  Take the bloody bypass, you aren't missing anything.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 05:03:29 AM »
Wow that's an ambitious plan.
Remember, even in the south, winter weather can be pretty nasty.  And you might get tired of living out of your car for a year.  I'd consider paring it down to a shorter trip.  I'd think that in a year, you might see so much stuff that it would all kind of run together.  That's just me I suppose.
However, with that much time, you're going to find that you can stay off the beaten path for much of it.  This will increase the pleasure of your trip.
Remember, though, that out West, not every little speck on the map with a name is a real town.  Often its a township or village that may not even have a gas station.  Always think ahead to your next fillup out West.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TMM

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 01:45:54 PM »
the viking:
no, it's not burning man, though i do plan to visit there...
i did a search on google, but to no avail. this was not a temporary creation, it was made on land owned by this old-timer. he visited it when he was living with that hippy couple for a time, and i believe that he was accompanied by that girl that liked him...

~tmm

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »
we always found the state parks had more reasonable camping rates. get a current copy of "let's go USA", as well as a good current atlas with tour info. the national parks had a "silver eagle" (maybe it was a "golden eagle", one is for senoirs.) pass that i think are $100 now. this one pass will allow you to get in every national park or monument in the US for one season, or year, and is definitely worth the money.

we have enjoyed many national parks. i am really p!$$ed at how they have become such tourist traps, but i guess everone else wants to see them too. or maybe they're all coming now because they have better gift shops. carlsbad caverns was terrific, be there in the evening to see the bat flight. mesa verde and montezuma's castle. yosemite was a lot better before it was privitised, but still is awe inspiring (better if you do some hiking). grand canyon has some great primitive campsites without the crowds, (we stayed at a free site 100 feet from the west rim.  ask a ranger not a tour guide) although there is a reason everyone goes to the south rim as it is a view (wow!!!!). hike to the bottom if able. crater lake didn't have much, but something touched me there (awe). some of the cities have some back alley tours that take you into the underground (see the old water, subway systems etc.). muir woods. yellowstone. dakota badlands. meteor crator. tombstone az. (there is also a huge copper mine down near tombstone that had worthwhile tours.) rozwell nm. most of the old military sights and forts on the east coast. taos nm, although i found the indians rather hypocrytical as they talked about how their villages were so sacred  that it would cost $10 to take pictures. washington dc, philidelphia, crazy horse, mount rushmore, mystic seaport. new orleans (is bourbon st worth visiting again?), key west, st augestine.

we saw mt st helens 15 years after the blast, even with the new growth we couldn't believe the devestation.

also, i always wanted to hit that giant garage sale that goes on in the midwest somewhere.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

TMM

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 01:04:07 PM »
wow, a great list, definately a few there that i don't have listed. thanks!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 01:08:43 PM »
What he -really- needs is a listing of... us, with phone numbers and general locations. Make sure you take a wi-fi laptop with you.

I'm 40 minutes outside St. Louis, west of town. Got a couch and a shower.

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 01:25:20 PM »
Are you doing this alone?
I'm not much on pure solititude.  You might consider finding a friend to drag along.
JD

Strings

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
I'm along the shore of Lake Michigan, and always willing to find crash space.

For that matter, I can call up some of my brothers and sisters in other states, if needed...

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »
Southern Shores of lake Erie here if you plan to hit Cedar Point or Cleveland.  Clean bunk and a shower if ya need to crash.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 01:23:10 PM »
hello again:
thanks for the offers of a place to stay! i would really appreciate that... could i have your phone number/address etc so i could be able to contact you? if you want to privately email it to me my email is themadmaillerATyahooDOTcom.

yea, i'll be travelling with a friend of mine. solitude can be wonderful, but also lonely.

~tmm

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 01:55:23 PM »
Maine

</thread>
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

TMM

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 11:04:41 AM »
i assume you mean to visit maine? I'd like to, but i want to go out west more than up north then right back where i came from, kinda like an extra-long detour. if there's something really amazing there, i might consider it.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 11:20:26 AM »
My little brother did some road tripping through the smokies when he was younger.  He's got some amazing photos of waterfalls and plunge pools he found.  Not sure exactly where they are, but check a guidebook, or some smaller state parks etc out.

Another bit of adivce, anytime you can, avoid taking major freeways, unless you're trying to save time from a point A to point B situation.

Save money by bringing a cooler and making your own breakfast and lunches.  We road tripped alot when I was a kid, and I've had some amazing lunches in state parks, picnic areas, and even some very nice rest areas.

Refresh us on your route and time-table again.

Lots of neat falls and pools in the Pisgah Forest of Western NC (some parts are so lush, it's like being in a rain forest).  Good advice about taking a cooler and food too. That's what we do when driving from here to Mobile to visit my folks.  Saves a pile of cash compared to eating fast food the entire trip there and back.

Chris

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 12:31:32 PM »
well, i guess since i live right next door i should hype Monticello, Ash Lawn and Michies Tavern. BTW, if you do go to Michie's Tavern, go hungry. The fried chicken is great.
other good charlottsville and surronding areas stuff.

Dew Drop Inn (Scottsville)- the classic is gone (has been for a long time) but the recently remodled joint is decent.
Downtown Mall (Charlottesville)- this was once a street downtown that was bricked over and given over to pedestrians. hit it on friday afternoon for Fridays after Five, for music.
Blue Ridge Parkway- its a road that goes threw the mountains. no discription needed.

and for some reason thats all i can think of right now...

if your route allows, go to harpers ferry in WVA. its a really neat little town. not to mention you can hit three states in about 5 minutes (VA, WVA and MA)  rolleyes
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds