Author Topic: Mutual Funds  (Read 1551 times)

The Annoyed Man

Mutual Funds
« on: April 05, 2008, 04:38:10 PM »
Let's talk mutual funds.  What do you like and why?  I'm into index funds, VTSMX and FIGRX.  However, VIPSX is looking good (maybe).  But, we're approaching hard times (maybe, well, probably) for awhile anyway.  Since I'm old (62 next month) I tend to be conservative.  Don't have the time to make replacement money dontcha know.  So VMMXX looks like an attactive alternative to CDs.

What do y'all think?

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Mutual Funds
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 05:30:16 PM »
My CGM has done VERY well.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 05:44:52 PM »
My CGM has done VERY well.

Appears to be a Large Blend with a Morningstar 5.  Good choice, but the yield is still slighty short of FIGRX (whoda thunk?)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »
I'm in for long term, 20+ years, so I'm a bit more aggressive.  All of my mutual funds come from my bank, 401k, and insurance/investment.  I haven't picked one outside my normal channels.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 06:05:46 PM »
When I manage to get the money, I'm going to switch over to energy stocks.  Constant good growth.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 05:23:16 AM »
My Roth is in a blue chipish USA centered fund, Investment Company of America.  I no longer qualify for a Roth but salted as much as I could in it.

I have three for my SEP and attempt to max out every year (I still write a check a week, just like in 2001).  "New Economy" fund, Capital Growth & Income, and New Pacific and Asia fund. 

My family is with American.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 05:25:44 AM »
Medical companies are a good bet if you research carefully. The baby boomers are getting older and will need more and more expensive care.

The reason you need to research is that medical companies range from stable constant-suppliers to cutting-edge to some that are cutting-edge but put profit over proper testing, and then get their asses sued off when their stents or pills kill a few patients.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 06:03:21 AM »
i cheat  i have all our stuff in a variety of vanguard funds. warren buffet is better at it than i am and i let him
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 05:31:14 AM »
I'm in Vanguard Total Stock Market Index, Vanguard Emerging Markets, Wellesley Fund (my more conservative fund), and a Vanguard Targeted Retirement fund.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 07:10:59 AM »
buffets pretty good at it.  and a nice guy in spite of our political differences.  his sister is a true gem of a lady
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 07:18:43 AM »
I wasn't aware Buffett owned Vanguard, but I know he likes Index funds.  I thought John Bogle, Vanguard's founder, still owned the bulk of the company, but I haven't looked into it and don't really care.  Vanguard is probably the best mutual fund company out there, IMO.

I like that Total Stock Market Index fund, too Ben. 

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 07:36:46 AM »
you are right paddy i was mistaken  i thought he owned both geico and vanguard

john brenna is current chair and ceo of vanguard. which was been good to my family