Author Topic: Girl dies after being beaten with video game controller  (Read 6377 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Girl dies after being beaten with video game controller
« on: April 08, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »
Girl dies after being beaten with video game controller
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/08/toddler.beater.ap/index.html
YORK, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A 2-year-old girl died after being beaten with a video game controller by her mother's boyfriend, and new charges are expected, police said Tuesday.

Darisabel Baez died Monday. Her mother's boyfriend said he beat the 2-year-old but didn't explain why, police said.

Darisabel Baez was pronounced dead late Monday at Hershey Medical Center, police Lt. Ron Camacho said.

The girl's mother, Neida E. Baez, 19, called for an ambulance Sunday, saying her boyfriend, Harve L. Johnson, had brought the unconscious child to her, limp and wet from an attempt to revive her in a bathtub, a police affidavit said.

Johnson acknowledged beating the girl with a video game controller but did not say why, police said. Baez said Johnson had abused the girl in the past and said she heard the girl scream after Johnson beat her Sunday, according to the affidavit.

Johnson, 26, was charged with aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and other counts.

Baez was charged with endangering the welfare of a child. Detective Dana Ward said Baez was charged because she did not intervene or try to get help for Darisabel.

Camacho said that because of the girl's death, new charges would be filed.

Johnson and Baez remained in custody Tuesday. His bail was set at $200,000; hers was $25,000.

Through police, family members declined requests for interviews Tuesday. Court officials said they did not know whether Johnson and Baez had lawyers to speak for them.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Girl dies after being beaten with video game controller
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »
Her mother's boyfriend said he beat the 2-year-old but didn't explain why, police said.

Does anyone really care why?  Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »
Not I.  I think 45 caliber justice is in order.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:25:54 PM »
i just don't get how a mother (or anyone for that matter) could just stand around while a child was being beaten and was screaming.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Wynterbourne

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:07:33 PM »
Baez said Johnson had abused the girl in the past and said she heard the girl scream after Johnson beat her Sunday, according to the affidavit.

For the boyfriend and the mother. She's as guilty as he is.

doc2rn

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 03:19:12 PM »
Some people should be barred from procreating. angry

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
I'm thinking rope, gag, and axe.  Starting at the ankles.

Da Bianhua
}:)>

Baez said Johnson had abused the girl in the past and said she heard the girl scream after Johnson beat her Sunday, according to the affidavit.

For the boyfriend and the mother. She's as guilty as he is.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 06:23:49 PM »
There were a whole raft of warning signs in this situation, even for someone who has not had experience dealing with child abusers.

- 26 yr old boyfriend of 19 yr old momma
- based on names, I'm presuming anglo BF & Latina momma
- 2 yr old has momma's last name, suggesting father was not current BF & father is not providing child support
- instrument suggests it was the closest ting to hand, suggesting low impulse control
- no explanation/excuse offered
- BF trying to "revive" kid in bathtub

I could go on & on about all the other indicators contained in the story, but it does nothing for anybody unless you want to know how to run forensic psychology on a child abuser.  What I picked up on right away was the suggestion of momma with low or nonexistent self esteem, battered wife syndrome, and a complete lack of any personal support system, along with a BF who may have the emotional maturity of a 6-yr-old.

Ropes, gags, axes and the like are not going to be anywhere near as painful as what the BF is going to endure if he hits the prison system.  He will be fortunate if he is immediately (beginning in the local jail) placed in isolation and on close suicide watch.  If he is in the general population he can expect to endure both physical and psychological assaults, including some of the grossest food adulteration you could imagine.

It is still strange to me how criminals, especially the ones in for crimes of violence themselves, seem to have a bright line regarding those who physically and sexually abuse children.  While there may not be justice in the criminal justice system, there certainly is a whole lot of karma.

The real shame, based on my experience with this population, is that momma will never see how she can be held responsible for what happened.

I'm ticked off that so far the worst tye BF is facing is aggravated assault.  I do not know the various levels of homicide that Pennsylvania offers in its lergal system, but I hope they decide to charge the BF with something mose serious than manslaughter.

A final note - if any of you know of folks who share any of the dynamics of this couple, please stick your nose in and see if there are warning signs that things could go south in an instant.  If you do not want to take them on as a personal project, contact someone and ask that things be checked out.  (I'm not a big fan of CPS, even though I did that job for over 14 years.  Most folks seem to wait till it's too late, and are have too much already on their plates to consider doing prevention work.  Also, there are fewer places to refer folks to for support than there used to be.  Do nOT discuss the state of foster care with me unless you want to hear words your mother told you never to use.)

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SomeKid

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 07:27:43 PM »
Everyone always talks about how bad pedophiles and whatnot are treated in prison, is this just an urban myth? I have never seen any evidence to support the assertion.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »
Everyone always talks about how bad pedophiles and whatnot are treated in prison, is this just an urban myth? I have never seen any evidence to support the assertion.

No it is not an urban myth.  Worked in a county facility and some of the things I seen would churn your stomach.

As for the punishment this carbon life form deserves give me a few days and I think I could come up with something.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »
Johnson, 26, was charged with aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and other counts.

Can someone explain to me why he isn't being charged with 2nd degree murder?  undecided
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 08:50:23 PM »

Can someone explain to me why he isn't being charged with 2nd degree murder?  undecided

It says earlier in the article that other charges are now pending since the girl died.

I say first degee should be on the table.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

SomeKid

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »

No it is not an urban myth.  Worked in a county facility and some of the things I seen would churn your stomach.

As for the punishment this carbon life form deserves give me a few days and I think I could come up with something.

Could you share a few stories?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »
There were more than one or two times that an accused child molester was taken to the hospital due to injuries of a questionable nature.

A couple were beaten rather harshly and at least one I know of was raped himself.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »
It is still strange to me how criminals, especially the ones in for crimes of violence themselves, seem to have a bright line regarding those who physically and sexually abuse children.
Its been my experience that the criminals, even the violent ones, often have children of their own on the outside. They may be unable or unwilling to develop empathy for their victims, but they do sometimes overcompensate by being especially touchy when it comes to kids and animals.

I know of a female who was in jail for selling her young son for drugs. She was burned to death in her PC cell. Nobody saw nuthin.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

LAK

• friend

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 01:18:35 AM »
i just don't get how a mother (or anyone for that matter) could just stand around while a child was being beaten and was screaming.

Neither can I.
I know the guy was the one who beat the child to death, but to witness or have knowledge of the abuse and do nothing?!? Especially in this age of education, shelters and picking up the phone to dial 911 for every little thing under the sun. I just cannot grasp how the mother did nothing.

What I picked up on right away was the suggestion of momma with low or nonexistent self esteem, battered wife syndrome, and a complete lack of any personal support system, along with a BF who may have the emotional maturity of a 6-yr-old.

I can understand how a woman may feel that her life is worthless, but not how she can extend this sense of worthlessness to her children.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 04:02:02 AM »
Okay, let me start by saying forgive me.  I have an extremely dark sense of humor after spending 8 years prosecuting child abuse and neglect cases, along with all of the other stuff I've seen.

But, when I saw this thread, my first thought was "gee, I hope it wasn't one of those evil black assault game controllers."   rolleyes

Oh, and to jump on the trend, a long time ago I did a research project for an international law class on torture and it's impact on international legal issues.  One method stood out to me as being perfect for guys like this.  It's an old Asian method, I cannot which nation originated the method.  A thin and fragile glass rod is inserted into the male genetalia, which is then broken by repeated impacts.  The glass shards cause lacerations which are severly irritated by urination.  Infection eventually sets in, which causes tissue swelling and the inability to urinate.  If left untreated causes and very slow and obviously painful death.  The "cure" for talking was catheterization and antibiotics or amputation.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 04:35:59 AM »
GORY DETAILS WARNING

Regarding the possibility of an urban myth - there is a reason why these types are classified into Protective Custody/Isolation from the very beginning.  Two short stories may help illustrate.

#1 - Spotsylvania County, Va about 1978.  Middle-aged guy had been having sex with his 2 teenaged daughters for years.  Info finally leaked out and CPS was contacted.  In spite of privacy laws, the case became a big local-interest story covered by newspapers & TV.  He was arrested and went from booking straight to PC.  He was found 45 minutes after arriving in jail with 3 glass soda bottles shoved inside him and then stomped to the point a largish chip was broken off the point of his pelvis.  Video survellience showed nobody entering or leaving his cell.  I personally know the deputies who were on duty & can vouch for the fact that they were not directly involved.  I cannot vouch for them not possibly going to get a cup of coffee at some point.

#2 - Prince William County/Manassas Va about 1978/79.  Guy has a history of beating his GF's two little kids, but never causes much more than extensive bruising.  One night he gets a wild hair embedded somewhere and becomes outraged at the 4-yr old boy's splashing during his bath.  Goes in to teach the kid a lesson, & has water splashed on him.  Ends up carrying the kid by his heels throughout the upstairs, punching him & swinging him against the walls until he swings the kid against the tub & splits his head wide open.  Momma all this time has been alternating between begging him to stop & trying to get neighbors to call cops (they have no phone in their apartment & the pay phone at the end of the block is busted).

BF gets sentenced to 25 years and sues Dept. of Corrections to get released from PC on grounds that nothing has happened to him while in PC.  He wins & is placed in General Population.  He is found one morning with his head between 2 footlockers, his skull squashed flatter than the proverbial pancake.  I do not think he suffered as much as one might suppose, as he had a pillow stuffed down his throat to gag him - not just a corner, but the whole pillow rammed down.  Autopsy found wood splinters in his mouth & throat, suggesting a broom or mop handle used as a rammer.  There is speculation that his bragging about what he did to the kid, and threats to do the same to inmates who "bother" him may have accounted for his death.

Those are the worst things I know about.  Most often it is just beatings repeatedly.  Maybe a rib bruised or cracked, a few teeth loosened, an eye that no longer works right, or fingers bent the wrong way.

What bothers me the most, stiil, is that none of this bothers me a bit.  It makes me wonder if staring into the heart of the beast for so long had turned me into that beast myself.  Ausberger's does not satisfy me as an answer, as I learned long ago how to fake empathy. (see previous sentence)

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 07:28:33 AM »
There were a whole raft of warning signs in this situation, even for someone who has not had experience dealing with child abusers.

- based on names, I'm presuming anglo BF & Latina momma . . .

Wrong presumption - the full name didn't look 100% anglo to me, so I googled "Harve L. Johnson" and found some pictures - as I suspected, the guy really doesn't look anglo:  http://www.yorkdailyrecord.com/ci_8838462

Johnson acknowledged beating the girl with a video game controller but did not say why, police said.
There is no explanation possible for beating a 2-year old to death.

None.

Zip.

Nada.

Harve L. Johnson needs to be ended.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 12:03:48 PM »
A baseball bat would be more appropriate. Start with the knees and work your way up.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 01:34:36 PM »

- based on names, I'm presuming anglo BF & Latina momma . . .

Wrong presumption - the full name didn't look 100% anglo to me, so I googled "Harve L. Johnson" and found some pictures - as I suspected, the guy really doesn't look anglo:  http://www.yorkdailyrecord.com/ci_8838462

Hank,

How can a presumption be "wrong"?  It's another word for "guess".  The presumption on my part was that BF & momma were of different races/cultures, and I went out on a limb to state a presumption he was anglo.  My "guess" was not accurate, but the basic presumption of differing races was accurate.

Why is the issue of differeing races important, one may ask?  Because, based on my experiences with the abuser population, there are superiority/inferiority and dominance/submission issues between the abuser and the other partner that are significantly stronger in mixed-race/culture relationships.

As for
There is no explanation possible for beating a 2-year old to death
, I humbly beg to differ.  I do not believe there is a single rational, logical explanation, but knowing what explanation the abuser might offer provides significant insight into not only what is wrong with his thinking process but into the relationship between the two adults that might have allowed this incident to come into being.

I've been out of that field for quite some time, and I see I am falling right back into it as if I had never left.  I gotta get me some therapy or something.  grin  Until then, I'll fall back on my old motto: Once you learn fo fake sincerity, the rest is all downhill.

stay safe.

skidmark

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 01:40:13 PM »
http://www.crimerant.com/?p=356

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 02:46:39 PM »
when I worked at kozmo.com they had a hire anybody
policy at first (later they ran background checks).

I worked with a bunch of county jail and released cons, they were obsessed
with video games.

I can imagine he was trying to play and the kid interrupted him somehow and he snapped.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 06:27:05 PM »
amongst guys inside with kids of their own there exists a feeling of loss and frustration at not "being there" for their kids. however they can make damn sure that this sob doesn't get out to hurt their or anyone elses kid.

molesters and abusers are fair game  open season. its pitiful the way they lie about what they're in for. and for how they all find god. guys will fight over who gets first shot at em.  and the inmates always know who they are and when they are coming in
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I