Author Topic: Has Newt sold his soul ??  (Read 6430 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Has Newt sold his soul ??
« on: April 22, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
WTF, Did he really drink the GW Kool-Aid ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6n_-wB154
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Has Newt sold his soul ??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:44:57 AM »
Holy frijoles, the cloud of smug they gave off choked me through the monitor!

Yes, he has sold his soul...or his brain.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »
So is he in on the carbon credit Ponzi scheme?

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 03:39:34 PM »
As pointed out on a certain radio show that everyone loves to hate, there's a poll out the purports to say the the majority of Americans believe in American-caused global warming to varying extents. In light of that, it's easy to see that Newt's a politician doing the expected.

edit: And as to the original question, yes he has sold his soul but not specifically over this. He is a politician after all and there's no room for personal conviction in that crowd.

rocinante

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »
Didn't know he had one to sell. He use to be my district representative in Georgia.

Honestly I don't have anything against Newt just thought it was a good jab. I do wish the Republican party had a glimmer of resemblance to what he dreamed up in the Contract with America. What happen to all those quaint ideas like responsible government and fiscal responsibility? Sooooo twentieth century I guess.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »
I like the thought processes in play here - someone you otherwise respect (for some of you, apparently) hold an opinion contrary to yours. Clearly this is an indication that he's stupid/soulless/corrupt/other, rather than a sign that, perhaps, yours is not the only reasonable stance and this is an opportunity to examine your beliefs.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 05:30:56 PM »
I have examined my beliefs, Global Warming is a religion with no God.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 05:42:45 PM »
I like the thought processes in play here - someone you otherwise respect (for some of you, apparently) hold an opinion contrary to yours. Clearly this is an indication that he's stupid/soulless/corrupt/other, rather than a sign that, perhaps, yours is not the only reasonable stance and this is an opportunity to examine your beliefs.
I would still respect the man if he had changed his beliefs because he thought his new position was the right one.  That's not what he's done.  Newt changed his beliefs because they weren't popular.  He's telling people what he thinks they want to hear, not what he thinks is right.

He's become the basest type of politician, the kind who determines his position based upon whatever he thinks will best play to his audience.  He went from a principled leader to a pandering sycophant.  Yeah, it's fair to say he's lost his soul.

You probably wouldn't understand any of this.  Moral courage isn't a value held by the left.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »

Aren't you forgetting GAIA ?    angel
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 04:10:38 AM »
Wait... there are people who still believe Newt has a soul?  cool
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 05:16:54 AM »

That pretty much nails it.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 05:30:04 AM »
If Newt has sold his soul, he got gypped, because he's still a has-been.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 05:50:59 AM »

No, it doesn't.

Wooderson - you're absolutely right. Also wasting your time.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 06:33:03 AM »

No, it doesn't.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 06:40:42 AM »

No, it doesn't.

Here's the first clue:
Anytime anyone in the scientific or MSM community refutes GW, how are they treated by thier peers?  They are lambasted as heretics. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 10:42:02 AM »

No, it doesn't.

Wait, what? 

Gingrich is a politician and a historian.  He's a man many of us used to respect, but he has no particular expertise in the sciences.  Even if he was an expert, his own particular opinion still wouldn't have any bearing on whether or not global warming is real.

Wooderson says we should examine our positions because Gingrich did.  Doesn't that strike you as utterly irrational?  He's trying to pull off an appeal to authority fallacy, using someone who isn't an authority.  He's wrong fifteen ways from Sunday on this one. 

Edited for the hyper-semantic, conceptually challenged

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 11:06:43 AM »
Nah, he's just hot for Nancy Pelosi, that's all.  laugh

Newt

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »
Nope.  I still retain posession of my soul.
Newt

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 12:13:37 PM »
Nah, he's just hot for Nancy Pelosi, that's all.  laugh

I think I just threw up in my mouth a lot.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »

Aren't you forgetting GAIA ?    angel

are you kidding? gaia created hydrocarbon fuels so she could wipe the earth of us piss-ants. i mean if your gonna believe you gotta BELIEVE.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 03:46:44 PM »
Wonder what it costs to buy a former speaker . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
I would still respect the man if he had changed his beliefs because he thought his new position was the right one.  That's not what he's done.  Newt changed his beliefs because they weren't popular.  He's telling people what he thinks they want to hear, not what he thinks is right.

Um... what evidence have you of this?

Oh, right - that he disagrees with you. Clearly he can't be guided by facts, reason, or simply strongly held opinions. He's got to be lying, pandering, etc. etc. etc..

Which is to say you just confirmed everything I said. Kudos.

Wooderson says we should re-evaluate our positions because Gingrich did.
This is the second or third thread where you attribute statements to me that I never made. You should read my posts more carefully if you're going to quote them and/or restate them.

What I said is that this should be an opportunity for you to examine your beliefs.

Examine and re-evaluate are entirely different words. That they both contain multiple 'e's does not make them the same.

"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 04:50:31 PM »
It's a fact-all those scientists who believe in global warming are part of the GGWC-the Global Global Warming Conspiracy.  It was formed by the powerful environmentalist lobby, which uses its billions of dollars to attack its under-funded and unfairly silenced Corporate/Industrial adversaries, via the Media that is also controlled by billions of enviro-dollars.

It's proof of how Orwellian America is today-those will all the cash just buy time on television using their superior financial resources to create a phoney truth, which explains why Environmentalism and protection for migrant laborers are in place in America.  If it weren't for politicians and the media pandering to the mega billions commanded by evil environmentalists, this wouldn't even be sixth page news in the unashamedly anti-corporate, communist owned media.

If only corporations and industrial giants had the financial resources and connections in the media to have that kind of pull, maybe we'd have a fair debate, and Gingrich wouldn't be stuck selling his soul or finding himself at the mercy of the radical environmentalist machine.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 04:52:55 PM »

Um... what evidence have you of this?

Oh, right - that he disagrees with you. Clearly he can't be guided by facts, reason, or simply strongly held opinions. He's got to be lying, pandering, etc. etc. etc..

Which is to say you just confirmed everything I said. Kudos.
rolleyes  Arrogant much, Chief?  Obviously because I didn't bother to cite, explain, and justify my knowledge to you, it doesn't exist. 

My evidence is the body of thought he's been putting out almost continuously ever since he was Speaker.  He's done books, columns, expert commentary on TV news programs, and so forth. 

You have been reading and watching Newt for the last decade, right Chief?  You're talking as if you have a clue, so I'll assume that you're familiar with his writings and thoughts.  I could be mistaken on this point, though.

Wooderson says we should re-evaluate our positions because Gingrich did.
This is the second or third thread where you attribute statements to me that I never made. You should read my posts more carefully if you're going to quote them and/or restate them.

What I said is that this should be an opportunity for you to examine your beliefs.

Examine and re-evaluate are entirely different words. That they both contain multiple 'e's does not make them the same.

"Examine" and "re-evaluate" mean pretty much the same thing, Chief.

You have a nasty habit of tripping over the definitions of words and completely missing the ideas those words express.  The concepts are what matter, not the definitions.  But you never seem to move beyond the literal definitions and thus completely miss the point. 

I used to think this was a debate tactic you use, some sort of convoluted attempt to mutate peoples' ideas and main points to better support your own arguments.  Now I'm beginning to wonder if you simply don't grasp the ideas and points you discuss.

But I'm happy to accommodate you, Chief.  I'll edit my earlier post to say "examine" instead of "re-evaluate".  Happy?

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 07:04:23 PM »
My evidence is the body of thought he's been putting out almost continuously ever since he was Speaker.  He's done books, columns, expert commentary on TV news programs, and so forth.

He's done "books, columns" and "expert commentary" specifically on the non-existence of global climate change? Precisely where was this?

Or do you mean he's a movement doctrinaire conservative now taking a non-doctrinaire stance on climate change. And thus it can't be that he's looked at the available information and rendered a rational decision. That he manages to hold within himself ideas contrary to the conservative line - or that he doesn't even find his ideas to be contrary to the conservative line - but that he's lying. Making it all up.

(Obviously, given the reaction here, Newt's signing his own death warrant with orthodox conservatism...)

The attempts to describe climate science as "religion" are interesting, given your (and others') reaction. You are explicitly taking your beliefs as an incontrovertible article of faith - no disagreement may be brooked, all dissenters are crooks/liars/panderers/etc..

"Examine" and "re-evaluate" mean pretty much the same thing, Chief.
No, they don't.

Examine is fairly close to evaluate. Had you said that I wished for you to evaluate your beliefs, you would have been close enough, and I would not have needed to correct you. Examine is not, however, interchangeable with re-evaluate. An examination may lead to a re-evaluation - perhaps this is the source of your confusion.

Were you to read more carefully, rather than creating words for me, you would understand what I wrote. I did not write or suggest that Newt's position should, in and of itself, cause you to alter your beliefs. I wrote that when someone who is not otherwise impeachable as an agent of the Commie Pinko Tree-Hugging Lib'rul Conspiracy takes a position on climate change contrary to yours, this is an opportunity to examine your beliefs. To judge them against his positions, to use them as a tool to strengthen your arguments. Perhaps, in doing so, you would ultimately re-evaluate your stance, but maybe not. Perhaps you would just be a better advocate for your side.

Instead, you chose to attack the messenger (Gingrich), thus averting any need to give thought to the potential truth of his position.

To whit - exactly what I said in the first place.

Kudos.

You have a nasty habit of tripping over the definitions of words and completely missing the ideas those words express.  The concepts are what matter, not the definitions.

The "ideas those words express" were mine, buddy. Hence my correction of your misstatement.

I am, if anything, a competent writer. Rusty when it comes to formalities, as I haven't written a paper in years. Prone to digressions (always my curse) and far too many subordinate clauses. But ultimately very good with the language itself.

When I type 'examine,' I mean examine. Not 're-evaluate.' This is not a difficult thing to understand, and I would appreciate it if you would not misquote me in the future, nor craft arguments out of thin air.