Author Topic: Latest federal recognition of CCW permits bill, your thoughts?  (Read 7544 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Source

Believe it or not, I think I first heard about it on the DU.

Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

`Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof:

`(1) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.

`(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for chapter 44 of title 18 is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

`926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.'.

Personally, I think that it's not bad.  Of course, by the looks of it a state without a CCW permit system could still essentially ban CCW by banning carry everywhere.  For example NYC and a more or less 'No CCW in NYC' clause.

How would the courts handle the case where a person with a CCW permit carries in on of the states without a CCW system, which has a blanket ban on CCW, not specific locations?  Would those two states remain forbidden for CCW, or would it be 'anything goes' until they get their act together?

edit:Url fix.  Darn it, stop helping me!

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Latest federal recognition of CCW permits bill, your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 04:22:14 AM »
The simpler and less open to faulty misinterpretation the better. It's currently ridiculous for me to have to pay $100 a year just to travel safely into MA. Tongue

I do like that they finally caught onto the Dem trick of using a nice-sounding acronym!

This Act may be cited as the `Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement (SAFE) Act of 2008'

But this line is troublesome:

Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:53:44 AM »
But this line is troublesome:

Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof

I thought that was a good thing. Doesn't "notwithstanding" mean "regardless"? As in, "regardless of what any state or local law says..."

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:23:32 AM »
 undecided

I guess my thought on this is does it override state rule and have the feds dictating policy to the states?

Is that law legal based on the constitution?

Constitution law scholars- please chime in.

I know when HR218 was in the works, the big argument was that it usurped state rule.  I assume that act was judged constitutional since it passed, so it would seem the one in this thread might be.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:25:57 AM »
undecided

I guess my thought on this is does it override state rule and have the feds dictating policy to the states?

Like that has ever stopped the Feds before.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 09:27:26 AM »
But does it quash state's rights if it's not restricting anything, merely serving as a Full Faith and Credit Clause?

Sort of like driver's licenses.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 09:28:21 AM »
Dude- you can't stop the feds.  They have become a power all their own.  Most people see it, but no one has come up with a way to stop it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »
If one cop makes a peep about this, H.R. 218 needs to be shoved in their faces, with a reminder of their broken promise.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 09:56:19 AM »
Of course, by the looks of it a state without a CCW permit system could still essentially ban CCW by banning carry everywhere.  For example NYC and a more or less 'No CCW in NYC' clause.
NY State issues carry permits on a discretionary basis, with some counties almost being "shall issue" . . . but their permits aren't good in NYC. On the other hand, NYC does issue carry permits - former mayor John Lindsey was issued one, the late William F. Buckley was issued one . . . people with political "pull." So even NYC doesn't ban licensed carry everywhere. From my reading of the text, once this bill were passed, I'd be good to go even there.

Now Illinois . . . Chicago issues carry permits to its aldermen, but I don't know if they're regular carry permits or if they're commissioned as "special police" or something of the sort. Occupational permits are also issued, so some security guards and private investigators get to carry legally. (Not sure about bail bondsmen.)

From my reading of the text, I'd be good to go in Illinois, too.

Unless there are some places explicitly prohibited for EVERYONE except LEOs to carry (for example, the "sterile" area of an airport, or, in TX, courtrooms, bars, and most sporting events) the proposed law looks like a green light for legal licensed carry everywhere.

Which is a GOOD step in the right direction.

IF the law is enacted (IMHO, a pretty big "IF") I'm sure there will be a lot of legal opinions written . . . and if there's a gray area somewhere, I am not volunteering to be the test case.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 11:08:12 AM »
But does it quash state's rights if it's not restricting anything, merely serving as a Full Faith and Credit Clause?

Relevent section of the constitution.  Article 4 Section 1
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records,
and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general
Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be
proved, and the Effect thereof.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 11:56:11 AM »
undecided

Like that has ever stopped the Feds before.

Normally the feds excercise undue pressure on the states by cutting federal funding. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 02:00:16 PM »
I like it.

If it pases I still wouldn't test it in certain anti zones such as NJ, NYC, much of Cali, etc.

We all know how well the federal protection to transport a firearm protects some.  Remember the guy who flew into (IIRC Newark) and got jailed for traveling with his firearm?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 02:17:27 PM »
Cali is a bastion of common sense compared to NJ/NY.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 02:33:22 PM »
This is true

Which is why they got most of cali  laugh
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »
Catch me up...

Last time I checked Federal CCW reciprocity was not law just a bill not even out of commitee yet...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »
Catch me up...

Last time I checked Federal CCW reciprocity was not law just a bill not even out of commitee yet...

You're caught up.  This is "what if"-ing.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 08:45:26 AM »
This is unfair to the population of Vermont.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 08:56:31 AM »

Driver's licenses are not a full faith and credit issue, nor is this.

The 14th amendment does give congress the power to enforce civil rights, such as that enumerated in the 2nd amendment.

However, this doesn't change anything for anyone while in states that do not issue CC permits, since their laws ban the carrying of firearms almost everywhere, and the law accepts those restrictions.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 10:27:37 AM »

How so?  Seems to be covered under #2:

`(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.'.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »

You guys should do what Alaska did, which is to legalize CCWing without a permit (which you've already done), but then keep a permit around to allow folks to skip the NICS check and for reciprocity reasons.

In either case, you'd be no more screwed over in this than you were before.  After all, as of right now you need to get an out-of-state CCW permit to carry out of state. This probably wouldn't change that.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 02:03:32 PM »
Not an issue, as Tallpine points out, the statute allows for carry under the rules of your state.  It doesn't say under the rules of a "permit".

It was intentionally written that way to include Vermont.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 03:26:49 PM »

If one cop makes a peep about this, H.R. 218 needs to be shoved in their faces, with a reminder of their broken promise.

This shouldn't pass!  police

Sorry, I had to do it.  Actually from this cop's view, this would be a great law.  It would streamline a lot of gun law issues.   Plus, since I think more law-abiding folks with guns is a good thing; it may even reduce crime a bit.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 03:53:36 PM »
Oops, I committed the sin of failure to read the whole article before posting a concern.  rolleyes

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »
Oops, I committed the sin of failure to read the whole article before posting a concern.  rolleyes

Well, I had to read the thing twice.  Initially I thought that you'd be able to carry anywhere allowed in either your home state or the visiting state.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 04:11:10 PM »
Yeah, I didn't read to the part of "per the visited state's prohibited location restrictions".

That is the best of both worlds.  Vermont and Alaska carriers can permitless carry anywhere a local can.

If it ever passed, I would do so quite smugly.  grin

(me, to buddy I'm visiting while out and about armed)

"Can I see your permit again?"

"Wow, that's neat, wanna see mine?"

"Ohhhhh, I'm sorry, I forgot, I don't need a permit."

point and laugh while saying "neener, neener, neener"